Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2016, 09:09 PM   #1

Newbie questions on pdi of a 288bhs

Winter storm Jonas delayed our picking up our first new purchase of an apex 288bhs. It will be our first experience of this and just wanted to know of any tips you may have for us. Is there anything extra special to note or look out for? A little nervous also we ordered a slide topper for it and after reading some things on the forums about mounting issues maybe not a good idea? The dealer,rv value mart, didn't say anything about topper issues so I hope we will be ok. They talked me out of frameless Windows though. Sorry so long any and all suggestions and tips are always appreciated on pdi. Thank you!
Midnight the lab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 10:14 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats on the new Coachman! First piece of advice, leave the kids home with a sitter. If that's not possible bring their game system or a movie to entertain them while you do the pdi. You don't want to be distracted by the kids. Portable DVD player worked well for my dd. Next, videotape the pdi.

If it turns on or off, opens or closes you want it demonstrated and you return the demo. Have them show you where all black and grey dump valves. Also have them show you where the low point drains are and where your water pump is. Have them show you how to winterize the trailer (especially the positions of the hot water heater bypass valves). Learn where your hot water heater overflow valve and drain/anode rod are. Check all caulking carefully, get on the roof to look for defects. Check for any signs of moisture or leaks. Check all cosmetic things too.

Do not hand over any money or sign anything until any and all issues are fixed to your satisfaction. It is far easier to get these repairs done now while your wallet holds the power then waiting weeks or months for warranty repairs. Most of all relax and have fun.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 10:21 PM   #3

Congratulations! I picked our 288BHS up back in April. There wasn't anything special I wish I had checked. It was my first TT and I followed the standard PDI checklists on here. I used a post-it pad to stick notes all over the place!
It's a great unit that pulls nicely. You'll really enjoy it. There's a few of us on here. Search for 288BHS if you haven't already and find a few specific discussions.

2013 Toyota Tundra 5.7L
2015 Apex 288BHS
UmptySquat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 09:03 AM   #4

Also bring a notebook and a flashlight. Take lots of notes. Some people even video the PDI.
2017 Ford F350 PSD
GlenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 09:23 AM   #5
Site Team

If you find any issues other than simple cosmetic things you are willing to do yourself, tell them you will be back to complete paperwork once they are corrected. Don't know about this dealer, but many dealers are much more motivated to fix things in a timely manner when they have not been paid. Once they are paid, their motivation to prioritize repairs decreases. This is very hard to do when you are excited about your new toy, but you are buying it to enjoy and you can't do that if it is on a dealer's lot waiting repairs. Make sure you know how to winterize and dewinterize . Dealers get very busy in spring and fall and and early freeze may mean you have to winterize as the dealer cannot get to it before the temp drops.

Then Go Enjoy it.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 04:55 PM   #6

After my daughter and her husband had to return their new trailer only two weeks after finding lots of water damage there is a test that I have not heard anyone mention.
There is a pressure test that can be done where the camper is covered with soapy water and the unit is pressurized. Large bubbles will form showing any leaks.
The new two week old camper has had over $6000 in warranty work so far and it is still not completed.
Check carefully under all interior wood for any signs of water with a high power flashlight.
You can never look things over too much. Be careful.

Jack350 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newbie, pdi