Old 09-03-2016, 08:18 PM   #31

So I did buy a 7/8" 6pt impact deep socket with a breaker bar so that is now in my storage. Thanks for all the recommendations, it was definitely a learning experience from never owning one before.

Old 09-03-2016, 08:31 PM   #32
Land of the Midnightsun

No spare in our corvette. But we don't need one

Elite Ready Brutte tow bar & Blue Ox base plate
Never mistake Knowledge for Wisdom. One helps you make a living the other help you make a LIFE.
jjSpeedwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 09:22 PM   #33

I have heard the need to torque is due to the use of alloy wheels. My TT has a decal above the wheel well stating the need re-torque after changing a tire at 50 and 100 mile intervals. A torque wrench and deep well socket sits under my back seat. I use it often. Why not??

BTW... no spare in our Malibu either.
raytwntrvlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 09:48 PM   #34
Commercial Member

One reason many RVs trailers and motorhomes come without a lug wrench or jack or even a spare tire as they want to eliminate the possibility of an owner attempting to change a tire without proper training or on soft ground and end up getting injured if/when the jack slips.
For many it is better to get RV road service.
If you are going to get the tools it is important that you know how to cholk the wheels so there is no movement of the RV. You need a jack (bottle jack with sufficient capacity to life the side of the RV or corner of the motorhome. I would suggest at least as much as the heavier GAWR number. You should also have a plate large enough to support the base of the jack on soft soil.

Maybe you also need to think of how you would jack up the side of the RV is on the side of the road and that side is not level and the RV may be tilted by 6" or more. How will you prevent it from slipping off the jack?

Also give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 09:58 PM   #35

Bought a 6 ton bottle jack and tried it out.... not for me!

Built a 3 piece ramp from 2x10 and used it to install new tires and service bearings. I will carry it in the PU for emergencies (and routine servicing) from here on out.

Too much drama with the bottle jack.
raytwntrvlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 06:35 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
One reason many RVs trailers and motorhomes come without a lug wrench or jack or even a spare tire as they want to eliminate the possibility of an owner attempting to change a tire without proper training or on soft ground and end up getting injured if/when the jack slips.
For many it is better to get RV road service.
If you are going to get the tools it is important that you know how to cholk the wheels so there is no movement of the RV. You need a jack (bottle jack with sufficient capacity to life the side of the RV or corner of the motorhome. I would suggest at least as much as the heavier GAWR number. You should also have a plate large enough to support the base of the jack on soft soil.

Maybe you also need to think of how you would jack up the side of the RV is on the side of the road and that side is not level and the RV may be tilted by 6" or more. How will you prevent it from slipping off the jack?
Not sure if this was directed at me or just general comments. If towards me, I had stated earlier I have 4 point leveling so I used that to lift the right side up. I also have x chocks and I would not change the tire without the 5er being connected to my truck so there would be no rolling.

Conditions matter so it is case by case which is why I have AAA with RV coverage.
Old 09-04-2016, 08:19 PM   #37

I carry a plastic ramp and can drive one tire on the ramp and the other wheel is off the ground. Safest way to get a tire off quick. Also use it at home for service work.

Tags
coachmen, tire