Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2016, 01:06 PM   #21

Tire Tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by blwnsmoke View Post
So maybe this is a newbie reply but earlier this month I got a screw in my sidewall as well as in my tread pulling into the campground. Fortunately we were already in the campground so a friendly phone call to AAA happened.

I got out to put my X chocks between the tires and heard the hissing... I thought it was a propane leak until I noticed this.

I grabbed it and twisted a hair and it stopped the leak so we were good till we called AAA a few days later (no rush, we were there for 5 days).

AAA came out, I grabbed the tools and low and behold what I thought was the tire iron as not. Both AAA and I looked at it and it was too small for the lug nuts. Fortunately one of the couples that were camping next to us (family trip) had one to fit.

So I emailed my salesman from when we bought it 2 years ago because I figured Coachmen was going to give us a hard time about it. I took pics to prove it didn't fit and even noticed that on my king pin it had a picture of a 6 lug tire (I have 8 lugs) and the pattern on how to tighten. I figured that they gave me a 6 lug tire iron.

Low and behold Coachmen came back and said they don't provide a tire iron. The 2 tools that are in the storage area are to manually slide the slides in (tire iron look alike) and the other was to manually raise/lower the rear stabilizers (you can see the nut above the tire for what I thought was the tire iron).

So this leads me to say... I can't believe Coachmen doesn't provide a tire iron. I'm glad we were at the campground because if we were on the side of the road, we would have been there for god knows how long.

So to those who are not in the know like me, check your tools to make sure you have what you need in the event of a flat tire.

One thing that I loved was being able to lift the tires off the ground with the powered jacks lol. Made changing it much easier.

PS - AAA said "oh you can patch that tire and use it as a spare".. I held in the laughter thinking to myself.. with the whole china bombs already.. do you really think I'm going to patch a tire so close to the sidewall and expect it to hold up.
You will need a slim 7/8" deep 1/2" drive socket along with a 4 to 6" extension to remove the tire from the wheel hub. I ran into this last year with the same rims on my Coachman Freedom Express 298REDS and thank God I was only a quarter mile from a tire company.

Good luck.
hhabis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 01:43 PM   #22

I have always carried a 4-way lug wrench for my truck. Truck pulls the Trailer........
Lacrosse40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 05:18 PM   #23

How do people check the lug nut torque without tools. I don't even put these tools away, they just sit on the rear truck floor.

Jack350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 05:45 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack350 View Post
How do people check the lug nut torque without tools. I don't even put these tools away, they just sit on the rear truck floor.
Bad to say some of us that have been driving for over 40 years and pulling trailers for the same amount of time have never checked wheel torque. Checked tightness yes, but torque no......and have never had an issue. I have six vehicles and five trailers on the road. ...... not saying it is right but..........and drive up and down the East Coast 60,000 plus miles per year.

But I do recommend torquing but I have never had a torque wrench on a wheel lug nut.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 05:50 PM   #25

I must admit I have never used a torque wrench on mine either. Just tightened them down.
Mtelkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 06:55 PM   #26

Torquing lug nuts,...... starting at the tire companies only started about 10-15 years ago. Never saw it prior to that anywhere.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 07:19 PM   #27

Lug wrenches normally wont fit.Get a good quality deep impact socket to fit.I have a battery powered impact wrench that I use. I've only had to use it twice,but this old guy wants to do it quick and get off the side of the road.I don't torque either,but I do check tightness before every trip before we leave.

2011 Ram Mega Cab 3500 Larimie dually
2016 Chaparral 370FL
DaveandSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 08:50 PM   #28

You must use a six point socket on lug nuts or you will round off the nut.
JR Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 09:11 AM   #29
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
A Forest River Factory rep actually stated the second sentence in the quoted post above?

On a factory tour it was talked about brand name appliances like TVs and counter tops, etc. that catch the eye to the newbies. But at their meetings, he said, there were fights over nickel & dime items because adds to the cost over all to the RV. To sell a unit at a affordable price some things are trimmed out. We asked about surge protectors to save the electronics and it sounded like it wasn't price effective for the add on. I'm sure things like higher quality plumbing fixtures instead of the plastic ones do add up also. I think it comes down to you can't get a Cadillac at a Chevy price. So the things like lug wrenches and jacks don't get included.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 09:57 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
By the way I don't think anybody mentioned this, the "tool" you thought was your lug wrench or attempted to use as one was probably your emergency slide out wrench for when you have to manually operate your slide

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
2016 nights camped "32"
Mentioned in first post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blwnsmoke View Post
Low and behold Coachmen came back and said they don't provide a tire iron. The 2 tools that are in the storage area are to manually slide the slides in (tire iron look alike) and the other was to manually raise/lower the rear stabilizers (you can see the nut above the tire for what I thought was the tire iron).
Old 09-03-2016, 08:18 PM   #31

So I did buy a 7/8" 6pt impact deep socket with a breaker bar so that is now in my storage. Thanks for all the recommendations, it was definitely a learning experience from never owning one before.
Old 09-03-2016, 08:31 PM   #32
Land of the Midnightsun

No spare in our corvette. But we don't need one
Elite Ready Brutte tow bar & Blue Ox base plate
Never mistake Knowledge for Wisdom. One helps you make a living the other help you make a LIFE.
jjSpeedwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 09:22 PM   #33
Senior Senior Member

I have heard the need to torque is due to the use of alloy wheels. My TT has a decal above the wheel well stating the need re-torque after changing a tire at 50 and 100 mile intervals. A torque wrench and deep well socket sits under my back seat. I use it often. Why not??

BTW... no spare in our Malibu either.
Old 09-03-2016, 09:48 PM   #34
Commercial Member

One reason many RVs trailers and motorhomes come without a lug wrench or jack or even a spare tire as they want to eliminate the possibility of an owner attempting to change a tire without proper training or on soft ground and end up getting injured if/when the jack slips.
For many it is better to get RV road service.
If you are going to get the tools it is important that you know how to cholk the wheels so there is no movement of the RV. You need a jack (bottle jack with sufficient capacity to life the side of the RV or corner of the motorhome. I would suggest at least as much as the heavier GAWR number. You should also have a plate large enough to support the base of the jack on soft soil.

Maybe you also need to think of how you would jack up the side of the RV is on the side of the road and that side is not level and the RV may be tilted by 6" or more. How will you prevent it from slipping off the jack?
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 09:58 PM   #35
Senior Senior Member

Bought a 6 ton bottle jack and tried it out.... not for me!

Built a 3 piece ramp from 2x10 and used it to install new tires and service bearings. I will carry it in the PU for emergencies (and routine servicing) from here on out.

Too much drama with the bottle jack.
Old 09-04-2016, 06:35 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
One reason many RVs trailers and motorhomes come without a lug wrench or jack or even a spare tire as they want to eliminate the possibility of an owner attempting to change a tire without proper training or on soft ground and end up getting injured if/when the jack slips.
For many it is better to get RV road service.
If you are going to get the tools it is important that you know how to cholk the wheels so there is no movement of the RV. You need a jack (bottle jack with sufficient capacity to life the side of the RV or corner of the motorhome. I would suggest at least as much as the heavier GAWR number. You should also have a plate large enough to support the base of the jack on soft soil.

Maybe you also need to think of how you would jack up the side of the RV is on the side of the road and that side is not level and the RV may be tilted by 6" or more. How will you prevent it from slipping off the jack?
Not sure if this was directed at me or just general comments. If towards me, I had stated earlier I have 4 point leveling so I used that to lift the right side up. I also have x chocks and I would not change the tire without the 5er being connected to my truck so there would be no rolling.

Conditions matter so it is case by case which is why I have AAA with RV coverage.
blwnsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 08:19 PM   #37

I carry a plastic ramp and can drive one tire on the ramp and the other wheel is off the ground. Safest way to get a tire off quick. Also use it at home for service work.

Jack350 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coachmen, tire