Old 08-30-2016, 07:42 PM   #1
No tire iron with Coachmen!!

So maybe this is a newbie reply but earlier this month I got a screw in my sidewall as well as in my tread pulling into the campground. Fortunately we were already in the campground so a friendly phone call to AAA happened.

I got out to put my X chocks between the tires and heard the hissing... I thought it was a propane leak until I noticed this.

I grabbed it and twisted a hair and it stopped the leak so we were good till we called AAA a few days later (no rush, we were there for 5 days).

AAA came out, I grabbed the tools and low and behold what I thought was the tire iron as not. Both AAA and I looked at it and it was too small for the lug nuts. Fortunately one of the couples that were camping next to us (family trip) had one to fit.

So I emailed my salesman from when we bought it 2 years ago because I figured Coachmen was going to give us a hard time about it. I took pics to prove it didn't fit and even noticed that on my king pin it had a picture of a 6 lug tire (I have 8 lugs) and the pattern on how to tighten. I figured that they gave me a 6 lug tire iron.

Low and behold Coachmen came back and said they don't provide a tire iron. The 2 tools that are in the storage area are to manually slide the slides in (tire iron look alike) and the other was to manually raise/lower the rear stabilizers (you can see the nut above the tire for what I thought was the tire iron).

So this leads me to say... I can't believe Coachmen doesn't provide a tire iron. I'm glad we were at the campground because if we were on the side of the road, we would have been there for god knows how long.

So to those who are not in the know like me, check your tools to make sure you have what you need in the event of a flat tire.

One thing that I loved was being able to lift the tires off the ground with the powered jacks lol. Made changing it much easier.

PS - AAA said "oh you can patch that tire and use it as a spare".. I held in the laughter thinking to myself.. with the whole china bombs already.. do you really think I'm going to patch a tire so close to the sidewall and expect it to hold up.

2015 F350 6.7 Platinum
2015 Coachmen 360IBL
blwnsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 07:50 PM   #2
Site Team
I have never received a tire iron with any of my units. A tire iron and jack are some of the items on most " things you need lists". In most cases the one for the TV will not work. I have always added a T handle tire iron as it has several size sockets.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 65W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 07:54 PM   #3
I'll be picking one up this week before my weekend trip. Even the T style which is what we used would barely fit on the lug nut because the space between the rim and lug nut was so small. We had to tap it on each one.. will have to try to find a thin 7/8" socket.
blwnsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 07:58 PM   #4
We have never received a tire iron with either of our trailers. Find the correct deep well socket and a break over bar.

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2014 Ram 2500HD Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins Diesel
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 12:04 AM   #5
Thank you for sharing so others may learn. A tire iron is worthless anyway without a jack or rapid jack too as I once learned myself on an embarrassing oversight.

Each trailer I own now (ATV/ snowmobile/RV) has a 4 way tire jack, a way to lift the trailer either a hydraulic jack or a rapid jack, a tire plug kit, and an air compressor and a "basic" tool set from Harbor Freight.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 03:51 AM   #6
I think its just due to the general mentality these days. I imagine most people don't know they could change their own tires, or would even know how, if they had the tools.
2017 Forest River Sunseeker 2250SLE
ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 04:08 AM   #7
Site Team
I've never had a travel trailer that came with a jack or lug wrench either.

But if you think that is bad, you better start paying attention to any vehicle you buy, as the spare tire (and associated jack/lug wrench) are disappearing there too. Do not assume a vehicle you purchase has a spare, as you need to verify it does.

I posted this awhile back:

Manufacturers doing away with spare tires

AAA article from last year;

AAA 2015 vehicle list without spare;
2011 Flagstaff 831 RLBSS

I used to be addicted to time travel, but that's all in the past now.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 04:41 AM   #8
Been camping 30 years and owned campers since 1985 none have come with tire irons.

Most people are surprised to find out spare tires are not standard either. They are an add on option. Dealers usually (not all dealers) order the unit they are selling with a spare tire though.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2013 Puma Unleashed 356 QLB
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 06:16 AM   #9
Site Team
Originally Posted by Old car View Post
We have never received a tire iron with either of our trailers. Find the correct deep well socket and a break over bar.
What he said!
The X shape old fashion lug wrenches are cast and have fat sockets which
often will not fit in the tight space of an alloy wheel. Some will fit some wheels but you have to check.
Harbor Freight has a couple of good long breaker bars. I already had sockets
but you can purchase them there also.

You'll also need a jack unless you can pull a good tire up on a block and
in doing so raise the flat high enough to get an inflated spare back on.
(I can)

Since I have been camping for 15 years in 4 different trailers we've never had
a flat. (probably just jinxed myself!) Saying that- I would just get the tire
properly patched and use it as a short distance spare like the man suggested.

Good Luck!
Happy Trails!!
Dan & Rita D
2004 5.3L Silverado 1500 ext. cab 2WD
1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch, AirLift load levelers

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41,
2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-38
KyDan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 06:36 AM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
No tire iron with Coachmen!!

By the way I don't think anybody mentioned this, the "tool" you thought was your lug wrench or attempted to use as one was probably your emergency slide out wrench for when you have to manually operate your slide

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
2016 nights camped "32"

TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote

coachmen, tire