Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2018, 10:28 AM   #61

Way to go Nick!!!
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 10:33 AM   #62
Happy Keystone Owner

Lippert has been very good to me. I don’t have the 246 but my 233 has the same frame. They’ve reimbursed me twice and just finished with the “final” repairs last week. Scheduled to pick it up at Goshen on Friday after major repairs.

Years camping....55
dbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 12:09 PM   #63
Take it easy,but take it

The day i took it to the welding shop,i got it back 5 hrs. later ! Super service at Nob Hill welding shop in Colorado Springs Co.--Just had a camp trip planned the following Tuesday--dropped it off on a Thursday..Lippert wants to cover ANY frame related item..I think..
Nickrenfro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 09:33 AM   #64

RKS246 Seating Mod

If you own a RKS246, then you already know how uncomfortable the couch is, especially watching TV or taking an afternoon nap.

Has anyone replaced the couch with zero wall clearance recliners?
Old 11-04-2018, 10:22 AM   #65
Take it easy,but take it

2014 fredom express 246rks

Ok-am i missing something ? Photos of other units for sale show the antenna being extended up...I dont have a crank inside to lift it--is it capable ? Does one need to get on the roof and pull it up ?Have had this for 2 years --
Old 11-05-2018, 11:21 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickrenfro View Post
Ok-am i missing something ? Photos of other units for sale show the antenna being extended up...I dont have a crank inside to lift it--is it capable ? Does one need to get on the roof and pull it up ?Have had this for 2 years --
The antenna on my 2014 does not extend and there is no way to turn it to get better reception. It just sits there giving me a marginal digital signal. I've been thinking about replacing it with a King antenna but am nervous about drilling through the ceiling. It is my understanding that the King is a better option.

Maybe they changed the design on the new ones?

Laura
Old 11-06-2018, 01:12 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarfan View Post
The antenna on my 2014 does not extend and there is no way to turn it to get better reception. It just sits there giving me a marginal digital signal. I've been thinking about replacing it with a King antenna but am nervous about drilling through the ceiling. It is my understanding that the King is a better option.

Maybe they changed the design on the new ones?

Laura
I own a 2018 246RKS and it also is a fixed antenna all you have is a booster for better reception but the antenna has no moving crank for up and down. I get quite a few channels depending on the area.
wasting_time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 09:43 AM   #68
Take it easy,but take it

I cant get AM radio at all..
Old 11-19-2018, 11:39 PM   #69

Question Fold-down Counter Top Extension

Has anyone installed a fold-down counter top extension in their 246RKS? I'm thinking it might work to the right of the sink but not sure how far it sticks out when its folded down. As you know, the slide has to clear it.

Thanks in advance.

Laura
Old 12-13-2018, 12:33 PM   #70

2018 Freedom Express 246RKS

Low water pressure? Found the reason of why during the winterizing process.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9155.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	260.2 KB
ID:	192996  
Old 12-19-2018, 07:27 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasting_time View Post

Same thing on my 2018 24rks
davidwrightfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 11:10 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwrightfr View Post
Same thing on my 2018 24rks
Hello David,

It appears there is no QA done during assembly on this units. I've
fix so many little things.

I have a 2018 246RKS also- any other issues with yours?

1. Kitchen faucet was leaking at connectors - replaced the whole unit.
2. Shower floor has the soft spot around the drainage.
Old 12-20-2018, 10:37 AM   #73

Quote:
Hello David,

It appears there is no QA done during assembly on this units. I've
fix so many little things.

I have a 2018 246RKS also- any other issues with yours?

1. Kitchen faucet was leaking at connectors - replaced the whole unit.
2. Shower floor has the soft spot around the drainage.
Warranty Work (not really QA):
- Replaced Microwave due to failed view window seal
- Replaced Toilet due to leaking freshwater flush valve
Other:
- Various putty and wood shaving cleanup, wipe down of factory "dust" from all surfaces, Loose molding, fit/finish items...
- Dealer installed Slide Topper causing slide issues (fixed by dealer)
- Crimped hose at city Water inlet (as noted)
- On my last outing I noticed a separation between awning and roof but haven't had time to look at it.

Mods by me:
- Added piston opener/supports for underbed storage
- Added wall his/hers wall baskets for bathroom storage
- Added Battery disconnect
- Created "kick=off" shoe storage under door-side diner bench seat
- Added a middle shelf to over counter Kitchen Cabinet
- Added shelf lips/stops to over counter Cabinet shelves

After reading through the many forums I have come to the realization that there is little QA at the factory and the dealer does little to Prep the unit for the customer. Rv'ing seems to be better for those that have inclination at being handy.
davidwrightfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 11:54 AM   #74

Quote:
On my Catalina the hose from the water pump to the tank was kinked. I had to reroute the hose. That whole area looked like a rats nest of wires and hoses. Total rush job.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 12:35 AM   #75
Retired Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarfan View Post
I never received a recall notice and when I contacted FR with the issue, they confirmed that my VIN was not included. That did not stop FR and Lippert from stepping up and repairing the fractures at no cost to me. I just followed their process by providing whatever photos they requested and taking the trailer to a service center. I took it to the dealer where I bought it and they handled it from there. You may not have that option but the process should be the same. I believe someone took theirs to a local truck shop so I don't think it matters where you take it. Just follow their process.

If you did not receive a recall notice and you have the stress fractures, I recommend that you contact FR first, not your service center/dealer. I had no issues getting it repaired and for me, it only took about a month start to finish. I didn't have any trips planned during that time so it was not an issue.

Laura
I wanted to update this post with our experience with a new to us 2015 FE 246RKS. We are the 2nd owners and I never thought about crawling around under the thing to check the frame. Had it a few months and then after getting back to the house with the trailer one day, I noticed the front axle was shifted about 1 1/2" more towards the street side than the rear (rear appeared to still be centered). Of course the hangers were bent and there were stress fractures in the frame and several of the outrigger bases. Well crud....

After scouring the forums, I found info on the frame cracking problem. I also am of the opinion it is the product of trying to save every ounce to make these trailers more small truck towable, but that is not the point of this post. I now have to get it fixed or basically I have an expensive yard ornament.

I called both Forest River and Lippert customer service using the phone number from the earlier model NHTSA recall notice. After two polite conversations I was assigned a case number at both FR and Lippert and sent the requested photographs (lots of detailed photographs) to both. A few days latter, I was contacted by Lippert who wanted to schedule the repair of my frame. Although I was not the original owner, and it was just out of warranty, not part of a formal recall, etc..., as a "good will gesture" they agreed to send a technician to the trailer location (my home) and only asked that I remove the underbelly material before he arrived. They covered everything except the removal and reinstallation of the underbelly.

A very nice and knowlegable Lippert employee arrived in a well equipped mobile service and welding truck and spent 2 days completing the repairs to our trailer. He plated and re-enforced all the cracked areas, replaced all the axle hangers with thicker ones, and "tubbed" the bottom of the frame for about 8' at the axles with a 1"x2" 7 gauge square tube, all welded with excellent welding work. Then he installed thick angle cross bracing between the hangers from side to side. When done, the entire hanger assembly was only 1/16" off from perfect alignment (which is better than factory specs). He beefed up everything and I don't see ever having a problem with the frame of this trailer again. Maybe added 100-150lbs in steel to the frame weight. Oh, and he even upgraded my suspension to wet bolts as some of the hanger straps were bent as well and he had both regular and wet bolt on the truck.

So if you find frame cracks, call FR and Lippert and at least have them review your situation. Other than your time, you have nothing to loose. Don't think that just because it's not part of a recall or not under warranty that they will not possibly help you out.

And in closing, I give a big thumbs up to both FR and Lippert for the way they handled our trailer frame repair. I have zero complaints about the way they treated us and that is something I for one will not forget. A huge thank you to both Forest River and Lippert!!!!
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 01:38 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by dward51 View Post
I wanted to update this post with our experience with a new to us 2015 FE 246RKS. We are the 2nd owners and I never thought about crawling around under the thing to check the frame. Had it a few months and then after getting back to the house with the trailer one day, I noticed the front axle was shifted about 1 1/2" more towards the street side than the rear (rear appeared to still be centered). Of course the hangers were bent and there were stress fractures in the frame and several of the outrigger bases. Well crud....

After scouring the forums, I found info on the frame cracking problem. I also am of the opinion it is the product of trying to save every ounce to make these trailers more small truck towable, but that is not the point of this post. I now have to get it fixed or basically I have an expensive yard ornament.

I called both Forest River and Lippert customer service using the phone number from the earlier model NHTSA recall notice. After two polite conversations I was assigned a case number at both FR and Lippert and sent the requested photographs (lots of detailed photographs) to both. A few days latter, I was contacted by Lippert who wanted to schedule the repair of my frame. Although I was not the original owner, and it was just out of warranty, not part of a formal recall, etc..., as a "good will gesture" they agreed to send a technician to the trailer location (my home) and only asked that I remove the underbelly material before he arrived. They covered everything except the removal and reinstallation of the underbelly.

A very nice and knowlegable Lippert employee arrived in a well equipped mobile service and welding truck and spent 2 days completing the repairs to our trailer. He plated and re-enforced all the cracked areas, replaced all the axle hangers with thicker ones, and "tubbed" the bottom of the frame for about 8' at the axles with a 1"x2" 7 gauge square tube, all welded with excellent welding work. Then he installed thick angle cross bracing between the hangers from side to side. When done, the entire hanger assembly was only 1/16" off from perfect alignment (which is better than factory specs). He beefed up everything and I don't see ever having a problem with the frame of this trailer again. Maybe added 100-150lbs in steel to the frame weight. Oh, and he even upgraded my suspension to wet bolts as some of the hanger straps were bent as well and he had both regular and wet bolt on the truck.

So if you find frame cracks, call FR and Lippert and at least have them review your situation. Other than your time, you have nothing to loose. Don't think that just because it's not part of a recall or not under warranty that they will not possibly help you out.

And in closing, I give a big thumbs up to both FR and Lippert for the way they handled our trailer frame repair. I have zero complaints about the way they treated us and that is something I for one will not forget. A huge thank you to both Forest River and Lippert!!!!
Thanks for posting this. It's the kind of stuff I like to read!!!
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 10:27 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwrightfr View Post

Mods by me:
- Added piston opener/supports for underbed storage
- Added wall his/hers wall baskets for bathroom storage
Do you have a picture of where you put the supports for the underbed storage? Also of the baskets. I like that idea for the bathroom.

Would you mind posting them? I tried to put the supports on my bed but I don't think I had them in the right place because the bed wouldn't stay down when I was done.

Thank you in advance.
Laura
Old 02-05-2019, 06:27 PM   #78

coachmen express 246rks owners

Thinking about purchase of 246rks for retirement travel out west - many miles. Wondering if there are owners who have put lots of miles on this model and how well it holds up? modifications made to help such as MorRyde? Thanks for your help.
mike2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 09:12 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2019 View Post
Thinking about purchase of 246rks for retirement travel out west - many miles. Wondering if there are owners who have put lots of miles on this model and how well it holds up? modifications made to help such as MorRyde? Thanks for your help.
I have close to 5,000 miles towing with my 2014. I've had no issues other than the few I've posted on here that really have nothing to do with dragging it around to campgrounds in Oregon and Washington. Now I'm a "glamper" so haven't had it off-road. Trailer tows great, easy to set up and tons of storage. I did upgrade the tires to the Goodyear Endurance and noticed a huge difference in stability on the freeway with the stiffer sidewalls.

I'm living in mine now, and still working full time. I couldn't do it if I didn't have all the storage and wardrobe space.

Good luck!
Laura
Old 02-07-2019, 07:11 PM   #80

Even the lift kits stink on the bed lifts. Lift your bed storage thingy up,,,measure the space when opened,, go to Lowes and get a collapsible painters pole that is shorter than that measurement,,,,drill a small hole the size of the tip of the painters pole in the plywood base under your mattress and use the painters pole to hold it up!!! Cool Huh???
Lee Pedrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
freedom express