Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2015, 08:02 AM   #1

Owners of Freedom Express 246RKS

I would like to have any owner comments on the Freedom Express 246RKS - pros or cons - likes or dislikes. Nice floor plan and seems like there is a lot of storage but how do you like everything else?
Budro35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 08:47 AM   #2

Hi Budro,
I love mine!! The storage and livability is what sold me on the floor plan. The front pass through storage is so large I had to put the non-skid stuff in there to keep my tubs from sliding around.

I don't like the placement of the tv because I can't see it when I'm sitting on the dinette. I might try to move it to the wall above the dinette seat but I need to investigate if there is a place to anchor it.

I dislike accordion night shades so will be replacing them with mini blinds but that's just a personal preference on my part.

The tongue weight is light for the length of the trailer so I am getting a little sway while towing but I just try to load as much as I can on the bed for traveling and then put it away when I get to the campsite. I also emptied most of the fresh water tank since that sits at the very back. There is no bed lift kit so its hard for me to use the under bed storage. I bought a kit but I realized a little late that its a two person job so I'll wait until I have some help to finish it up. Its also a little hard to get in and out of bed due to the size of the pass through storage under the front (sticks out under the shirt closets so while its nice to have a "nightstand" it makes it difficult to crawl into bed.)

The mattress that came with the trailer was awful but I had a full size mattress in my old trailer that I transferred over when I bought this one. Its a little smaller than the stock short queen, but since its just me, it works fine. Unfortunately, I don't think even a 5" memory foam topper would help the stock mattress.

Having the kitchen in the rear instead of in the middle makes the trailer feel bigger than it is. You do give up having a bigger bathroom, but I would rather have the open feel.

The fit and finish is good and I haven't found any huge problems. Just a few minor issues that haven't kept me from using it until I can get them fixed.

I looked at a few Jayco trailers but the first new one I looked at already had a delaminating front cap and the second one I looked at had multiple fit and finish issues like window valances attached crooked, trim falling off, screws that are barely screwed into wood which ended up splitting the wood, etc. I also looked at the Surveyor (not the rear kitchen model) but there was NO counter space in the kitchen.

I got a good deal in February on a leftover 2014 and don't regret my purchase at all. Like I said its just me, but I think it would work great for a couple and maybe little kids.

If you have any specific questions about the unit please ask! I'm happy to help!

Laura
Old 05-03-2015, 06:42 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarfan View Post
Hi Budro,
I love mine!! The storage and livability is what sold me on the floor plan. The front pass through storage is so large I had to put the non-skid stuff in there to keep my tubs from sliding around.

I don't like the placement of the tv because I can't see it when I'm sitting on the dinette. I might try to move it to the wall above the dinette seat but I need to investigate if there is a place to anchor it.

I dislike accordion night shades so will be replacing them with mini blinds but that's just a personal preference on my part.

The tongue weight is light for the length of the trailer so I am getting a little sway while towing but I just try to load as much as I can on the bed for traveling and then put it away when I get to the campsite. I also emptied most of the fresh water tank since that sits at the very back. There is no bed lift kit so its hard for me to use the under bed storage. I bought a kit but I realized a little late that its a two person job so I'll wait until I have some help to finish it up. Its also a little hard to get in and out of bed due to the size of the pass through storage under the front (sticks out under the shirt closets so while its nice to have a "nightstand" it makes it difficult to crawl into bed.)

The mattress that came with the trailer was awful but I had a full size mattress in my old trailer that I transferred over when I bought this one. Its a little smaller than the stock short queen, but since its just me, it works fine. Unfortunately, I don't think even a 5" memory foam topper would help the stock mattress.

Having the kitchen in the rear instead of in the middle makes the trailer feel bigger than it is. You do give up having a bigger bathroom, but I would rather have the open feel.

The fit and finish is good and I haven't found any huge problems. Just a few minor issues that haven't kept me from using it until I can get them fixed.

I looked at a few Jayco trailers but the first new one I looked at already had a delaminating front cap and the second one I looked at had multiple fit and finish issues like window valances attached crooked, trim falling off, screws that are barely screwed into wood which ended up splitting the wood, etc. I also looked at the Surveyor (not the rear kitchen model) but there was NO counter space in the kitchen.

I got a good deal in February on a leftover 2014 and don't regret my purchase at all. Like I said its just me, but I think it would work great for a couple and maybe little kids.

If you have any specific questions about the unit please ask! I'm happy to help!

Laura
Thank you so much for your reply!! I will send you an email later in the day with plenty of questions!! Thanks again Bud
Budro35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 07:51 PM   #4

Smile Owners of Freedom Express 246RKS

Just became an Owner of a Freedom Express 246RKS, following for any information.
wasting_time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 10:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasting_time View Post
Just became an Owner of a Freedom Express 246RKS, following for any information.

Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 05:30 PM   #6

Welcome to the forum! I'm about to start my 4th season with my 246RKS. I've made a few modifications that suit me better:

~ Replaced stock tires with Goodyear Endurance Load Range D (2017)
~ Added locking battery box after my batteries were stolen (2017)
~ Added a battery cutoff switch (2016)
~ Replaced the day/night shades with mini blinds (2016)
~ Started using the Andersen WDH (2015)

Took it on a 2 week trip to Eastern Oregon October 2017 and I still love the floor plan and seemingly unlimited storage for what I pack. I didn't have any issues with the trailer on that trip.

Happy to try to answer any specific questions you have on the model.

Laura
Old 02-12-2018, 07:46 PM   #7

thanks for all the tips!

We can't wait to go for our first trip. Will pick ours first week of April hope the snow is gone by then...
Old 02-14-2018, 08:59 PM   #8

Picked up our 246 rks Jan 20 and immediately went camping. It was 19 degrees that first morning a little cold but the trailer did great. We love our 246 and can't wait to use it again
cardp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 09:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardp1 View Post
Picked up our 246 rks Jan 20 and immediately went camping. It was 19 degrees that first morning a little cold but the trailer did great. We love our 246 and can't wait to use it again

Now that's a true camper!!
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 10:29 AM   #10
Take it easy,but take it

2014 Freedom Express

I love mine ! The rear kitchen works well for space--tv is in a bad spot--The slide should have been made to go out farther--Bathroom area works well--we replaced the Mattress with a full queen--from Denver mattress co. makes it a bit tight but we are not big ! Sleep is so much better ! Furnace and a.c. works very well,and love the windows at the dinning table--:: All and all, every thing works for us-- Have 12 nights reserved for this coming season--cant wait--
Nickrenfro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 09:42 AM   #11
Take it easy,but take it

Cant wait

Cant wait for this Colorado weather to break so i can get the 246rks ready to go camping !
Old 04-16-2018, 04:37 PM   #12

picked up tt from dealership

Brought it home! unfortunately the weather isn't helping here in NH it was
25 degrees and we got snow this morning. Good thing the heater Works!

Has anyone ever upgraded the bathroom fan with a bigger and stronger one.?
Old 04-30-2018, 08:21 PM   #13

How do you like those Goodyear Endurance tires? I'm wondering what the 105N designation is as the tire is listed as an ST205/75R14D 105N
whaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 09:10 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by whaler View Post
How do you like those Goodyear Endurance tires? I'm wondering what the 105N designation is as the tire is listed as an ST205/75R14D 105N
105 is the load index rating of the tire and N is the speed rating. According to Goodyear, 105 load index is 2039lbs and N speed rating is 87mph.

Laura
Old 05-06-2018, 09:52 AM   #15

We have a 2014 246RKS and love the floorplan. Changed the mattress to a full queen and its a little tight getting around the bed. Added a aluminum tool box to the front so I could add a second battery and keep them safe. The only problem were some cracks developed in the frame in 2015 and Lippert sent a person to a truck repair facility and did all the repairs. I asked what happens if I have problems with the frame after warranty and the Lippert warranty person said it would be covered for life, very comforting. Heading out to the coast next weekend for 3 days. I just put Goodyear endurance tires on also, cant wait to see how they roll.
Jim
BobcatJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 01:35 PM   #16

Thanks! I'll be ordering them.
whaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 02:40 PM   #17
Take it easy,but take it

Frame crack

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobcatJim View Post
We have a 2014 246RKS and love the floorplan. Changed the mattress to a full queen and its a little tight getting around the bed. Added a aluminum tool box to the front so I could add a second battery and keep them safe. The only problem were some cracks developed in the frame in 2015 and Lippert sent a person to a truck repair facility and did all the repairs. I asked what happens if I have problems with the frame after warranty and the Lippert warranty person said it would be covered for life, very comforting. Heading out to the coast next weekend for 3 days. I just put Goodyear endurance tires on also, cant wait to see how they roll.
Jim
Jim- where on the frame was your crack ? Pictures ? I have the same trailer--Nick
Old 05-06-2018, 02:42 PM   #18
Take it easy,but take it

READY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickrenfro View Post
Cant wait for this Colorado weather to break so i can get the 246rks ready to go camping !
Well it's ready and we leave for 4 nights !!!!!!
Old 05-07-2018, 09:23 PM   #19

Frame Crack

Nick,
There were several places where the frame was cracking. Following is my description sent to the Lippert welder. I used a tape measure from the front corner of the frame:

Street side;
@ 140-142” frame cross support is tearing through web of the I-beam.
@ 146” vertical angle reinforcement has broken weld on front top and rear top.
@ 187-198” frame cross support is tearing through web of I-Beam.
@ 231” Bottom of outrigger is tearing through frame I-Beam web.
@ 278” Bottom of outrigger needs to be re-welded.
@ 252-285” I-Beam bottom plate to web weld has separated

Curb Side;
@ 89” to of outrigger to frame needs to be re-welded.
@ 139-142” cross brace has torn through I-beam web. And Outriger is breaking through bottom weld. And top needs to be re-welded.
@ 185-186” cross brace has torn through I-beam web.
@ 217-218” outrigger is breaking and tearing through I-beam weld.
@ 240-285” I-Beam bottom plate to web weld has separated.

The Tech also added squared tubes side to side between the spring hangers. Here are a couple pictures. Crawl under the trailer with a flashlight.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150303_171409510.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	315.0 KB
ID:	171085   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150303_171552984.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	240.4 KB
ID:	171086  
BobcatJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 09:54 PM   #20
Take it easy,but take it

Frame cracks

Jim-- Do you not have the under belly insulator ? Was there a strange difference in towing? What made you think to check? Hopefully i don't have these problems >>> Thanks Nick

Tags
freedom express