Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2012, 12:47 PM   #11
daydreaming about camping
 
jeeplj8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: KC area
Posts: 1,400
weighed 8640 on the scale the other night with tongue weight of 1160.
__________________

__________________

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:06 AM   #12
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1
Love the Trailer

Hi,

We are in the final stages of purchasing the same trailer. The dealer has told me that it should be safe to pull it with our 2004 Expedition, 5.4 with the HD Tow Package. I've pulled a 6 x 12 cargo van with about 6100 lbs in it before and no real issues. The tow rating on the TV is 8900 lbs. Any advice or updated info on the trailer "good or bad" would be appreciated. We also looked at the everlite 31BHS and it was a tough choice. We plan to live in the trailer for about a year near Salt Lake City Utah while house is being built. How do you think it will fair in the winter?

Thanks again

Tim
__________________

__________________
Nomation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:05 AM   #13
Fulltime family RVer
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 14,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomation View Post
We are in the final stages of purchasing the same trailer. The dealer has told me that it should be safe to pull it with our 2004 Expedition, 5.4 with the HD Tow Package. I've pulled a 6 x 12 cargo van with about 6100 lbs in it before and no real issues. The tow rating on the TV is 8900 lbs.
Tim- unfortunately, unless the dealer is a close and personal friend, his opinion doesn't amount to a pile o beans. I strongly recommend that you learn about payload capacities and what your "gross vehicle weight rating" is and how tongue weight comes into play.

For help, I wrote an article about this:
What Can I Tow?

You have great numbers above to use in your calculations:
Quote:
weighed 8640 on the scale the other night with tongue weight of 1160.
__________________
2012 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/long bed/4x4/4.10 gears pulling an early 2013 Sabre 36QBOK
Checkout my site for RVing tips, tricks, and info | My family and I have fulltimed since June 2015
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:13 AM   #14
daydreaming about camping
 
jeeplj8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: KC area
Posts: 1,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Tim- unfortunately, unless the dealer is a close and personal friend, his opinion doesn't amount to a pile o beans. I strongly recommend that you learn about payload capacities and what your "gross vehicle weight rating" is and how tongue weight comes into play.

For help, I wrote an article about this:
What Can I Tow?

You have great numbers above to use in your calculations:
I sent Tim a PM as well. I want to re-iterate that after pulling this trailer for at least 2500 miles in the past year, I would not do it with a 1/2 ton truck. I think the closest is the Ford F-150 max tow with both the high payload and over 10K tow rating. Even then, you are pushing it.

It is not necessarily the weight, although virtually every 1/2 ton will be over at least one weight category, but the sheer size of it.

My Excursion is a 3/4 ton truck (and then I have upgraded 1 ton springs). My factory tow rating is 12,500, my CCC is over 3500 and my RAWR is 6500. It may be an SUV, but no one has ever made anything else with numbers like that. Most importantly, I would not want to tow this thing with ANYTHING smaller.

BTW - we still love this trailer and everytime we go out realize there is nothing that suits us better out there.
__________________

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:05 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
snapper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Pittsburgh,PA
Posts: 162
This trailer is one of the largest trailers on the road. I would cation you on towing it with that tow rating. I am looking to purchase the same trailer and decided to go with the 310BHDS FREEDOM EXPRESS. it is 500 lbs lighter and a foot shorter. It is very similar in accommodations. Plus you get a bigger dinnette and a second door to winter the bathroom.
__________________

__________________
snapper is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:25 PM.