Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2015, 08:41 AM   #181

The other day when i emptied the hot water heater and stuck my fingure in through the plug, i noticed some blue chips almost like chipped ceramic! I hooked hose back up with plug out, cleaned it out nicely
08 dodgeram current TV
Cableman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 08:44 AM   #182

The other day when i drained the water heater, i noticed some blue chips almost like ceramic chips when i stuck my fingure through the plug hole! I hooked the hose up with plug out, cleaned it out nicely
08 dodgeram current TV
Old 04-18-2015, 08:59 AM   #183

Living through you guys right now. I think we are going to do one more season with the 23lb before upgrading to the apex or something similar. Love the double bed bunks. Kids are complaining the single bunks are too small.

Any issues with the door in the bathroom, someone opening from the outside while someone is using it? Do you lock it every time? And then remember to unlock it?

2012 Ford F150 EB Crew FX4 3.73 gears
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
Previous: 2012 Flagstaff MicroLite 23LB
2006 GMC Envoy Denali V8 & 2005 GMC Envoy I6
PSUFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 09:17 AM   #184

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisDad01 View Post
Living through you guys right now. I think we are going to do one more season with the 23lb before upgrading to the apex or something similar. Love the double bed bunks. Kids are complaining the single bunks are too small.

Any issues with the door in the bathroom, someone opening from the outside while someone is using it? Do you lock it every time? And then remember to unlock it?
My wife always locks it then i yell at her for not unlocking it! Ill use it with the door open! Lol
I use the public bathroom more, let the kids and the dw use it.
08 dodgeram current TV
Old 04-18-2015, 10:02 AM   #185
CLT
Next Gen Camperbot 5000XL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cableman View Post

CLT, my cable hook up leaked on the awning side with it closed, i pulled it off, cleaned the caulk off and resealed it. Havnt had a cable line plugged into any yet, i did change every single cable fitting there is! Lol
So yours was doing the opposite of mine, leaking when closed. I'll just have to take a closer look at it and see what is happening. We are switching to an annual site this year so I'll have more time to investigate and tinker around with things vs pack/unpack/put away/pack etc. HA!
Old 04-18-2015, 07:09 PM   #186

More questions...

I got a decent walk through but I'm a total noob about what to do when you get home or before you head home.

1. Make sure the water storage is empty? Plug on right side just behind back wheel.

2. Empty water heater? Remove anode? What socket size is that thing anyway? 1"?

3. How do I cut all power without removing a battery cable? I turned off all the breakers but radio was still on. I guess I could install an inline switch but that seems unnecessary.

Thanks as always! You guys are great!
UmptySquat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 08:16 PM   #187

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmptySquat View Post
More questions...

I got a decent walk through but I'm a total noob about what to do when you get home or before you head home.

1. Make sure the water storage is empty? Plug on right side just behind back wheel.

2. Empty water heater? Remove anode? What socket size is that thing anyway? 1"?

3. How do I cut all power without removing a battery cable? I turned off all the breakers but radio was still on. I guess I could install an inline switch but that seems unnecessary.

Thanks as always! You guys are great!

1. Depends on how far I'm going. Less than a couple hours, I run with all tanks empty. If I'm going a good distance 2+ hours, I'll throw a couple gallons in the fresh water tank in case of an emergency pit stop. Even if you have the tank empty, there's usually enough water in the lines for 2 quick flushes. And yes... The plug to empty the fresh water tank is just behind the rear wheel on the door side.
2. I personally do not empty the hot water tank each trip... But probably should. If I notice any smell, I'll flush it out.
3. Two choices to cut all the power. 1. Add a shutoff switch... Or 2. Unhook the wires each time. I unhook the wires each time.

2015 Coachmen Apex 288BHS
2014 Toyota Tundra 5.7L CrewMax

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 04-18-2015, 08:30 PM   #188

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisDad01 View Post

There is a trade off... We had the Rockwood version of the 23LB (2306)... And I was confident that I could stick it in any spot, no matter how tight. This guy does take more parking skills (but not as much as i thought). But... As you said... The kids started complaining about wrestling with the night shades throughout the night in their bunks. We also now have enough room for fido... So that saves us from sending him to the kennel all summer.
As far as the bathroom door... No issues yet. We do like it and haven't had any mishaps yet.

Old 04-18-2015, 09:40 PM   #189

Potential new Apex owner/Apex 288BH info

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDHfan View Post
I have the Progressive Industries 30amp portable.

I wanted to let you know that some of the PI 30A portables are power surge indicators and do not appear to actually protect from surges once it has run through its checks.

This one does both.
Progressive Industries PT30C 30 Amp Portable Electrical Management System
Old 04-19-2015, 05:44 AM   #190

Potential new Apex owner/Apex 288BH info

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmptySquat View Post
I wanted to let you know that some of the PI 30A portables are power surge indicators and do not appear to actually protect from surges once it has run through its checks.

This one does both.
Progressive Industries PT30C 30 Amp Portable Electrical Management System

I've been wrong before, but I'm pretty certain that PI only makes surge protectors. Just depends on how much protection you're looking for.

Here's a link to their site. They offer two 30A devices... But both are surge protectors. Amazon, Camping World and Tweety's all have it cheaper. I have the PT30C and got it from Tweety.

http://www.progressiveindustries.net...hardwired/c1ef (not sure why the link says "hardwired"... These are the portable)

Old 04-19-2015, 08:39 AM   #191

Your guys little led light on the electric input flip up cover work still? Mine stopped so i ripped into it, they couldnt even install the gasket correctly! One screw went through the correct hole in the gasket, the other 3 made their own hole! Gasket is cracking already from uv too
08 dodgeram current TV
Old 04-19-2015, 06:46 PM   #192

Got the bedlift kit installed. Its the small kit and ordered from pplmotorhome.
You can see in the pic what i removed and added. Gonna just shorten the heat pipe, attach it and cover electric again.
Really works well, dw is very happy!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150419_183743.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	292.9 KB
ID:	74724  
08 dodgeram current TV
Old 04-19-2015, 08:08 PM   #193

Wow Cableman that impressive!
Old 04-19-2015, 09:28 PM   #194

I want to get one of those kits, too. Looks like it will make it lots easier to access that storage. Beats holding the bed up with the top of my head while DW gets things out or puts them away!

The Bunkhouse! 2015 Coachmen Apex 288BHS
2014 Ford F-150 EB
Let's Ride
!
Bunkhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 11:00 PM   #195

Very nice!
Aireggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 12:55 PM   #196

How are your battery boxes secured to the rail? Mine is just sliding around in it. I suppose I could bolt it to the rail but it think there are supposed to be brackets or something???
Old 04-20-2015, 01:48 PM   #197

I put a group 31 box on, came with 2 clips that the strap goes through then box sits on top. I screwed them down which was a pain!
If you do screw any thing down drill pilot holes for screws, then drill a bigger hole through top angle iron piece only. This will help aid in not breaking any screws as it will only be attaching to the bottom square iron.
You will see rust coming out where the top angle iron and square tube meet, run a bead of some black silicone along all that, i can see it rusting away in time!
08 dodgeram current TV
Old 04-20-2015, 04:12 PM   #198

What do you guys use to level your Apex 288BHS at the campsite?
Anyone use the Andersen levelers?
Old 04-20-2015, 04:57 PM   #199

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdnbck View Post
What do you guys use to level your Apex 288BHS at the campsite?
Anyone use the Andersen levelers?
We use the stackable leveling blocks. Orange and look like Legos. They work well. Also, highly recommended 'x-chocks'. They keep trailer nice and stable. I would post pics but can't figure out how from an I-phone
Aireggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 05:43 PM   #200

Heavy rain ='s that dam leak is back! Pulled the board off some in the front compartment, looks like its either where the awning wire enters or a screw.
Ill have a closer look tomorrow. Guess i might as well move that electric wire under the bed while i have the storage board pulled out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150420_180326.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	294.5 KB
ID:	74833  
08 dodgeram current TV