Old 10-05-2014, 07:33 PM   #11
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
Maybe. Let me know how it turns out if you try it that way...
LOL, not planning on having to replace it, but it would definitely be a 2 person job trying to feed the material in to 2 slots at the same time. Could be done by 1, but a lot of work unless you had a walk board between 2 ladders.

Old 10-05-2014, 09:04 PM   #12

When I got my fabric there was a nylon type of 'cover' or giude that fit over the end of the tube to allow you to slide the fabric on without worrying about tearing it. Unfortunately, I didn't find the piece until I had the fabric in place....lol. I think the only worry would be if you had a sharp edge or filing that caught the fabric.

Steve

Old 10-05-2014, 09:08 PM   #13

And one last tidbit. When I bought my fabric, I went through a super small but very reputable RV dealer. According to her rep at Dometic I had 2 choices for my fabric. One was for an actual dometic 9100 awning replacement fabric. The other was made in the same factory, was the same size, same color, same stitching but instead of saying 9100 on it it said 'universal'. The universal was $200 cheaper. Guess which one I bought,,,,lol? Just something to consider when you order.

Steve
Old 10-06-2014, 12:34 AM   #14

Lots of good info here.
So unroll the awning a foot or so, pin the non-motorized end, remove the motor, and screws holding fabric in the channel attached to trailer.
Do you have wind the new fabric around the tube a few times to install it?
Old 10-06-2014, 12:41 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Just a question, could you not just pin/secure the spring side and drill a 7/16" hole in either cap that aligns with the material slot and slide it out without removing either cap?
I think I get what you are saying But aren't the caps round in shape where the grooves are? Would need a good sturdy punch to start the process while stepping up in drill bit sizes to achieve the 7/16", plus the sharp edge and possibly not getting the hole centered.
Think I saw in some videos about using blue painters tape on the sharp edges when reinstalling the new fabric, too.
Old 10-06-2014, 01:38 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnleann View Post
Lots of good info here.
So unroll the awning a foot or so, pin the non-motorized end, remove the motor, and screws holding fabric in the channel attached to trailer.
Do you have wind the new fabric around the tube a few times to install it?
I did mine with it fully extended. And no you don't have to wind it, in fact you can't. On the 9100 there are 2 channels that the awning fabric slides into on the roller.

Also FWIW I cut the old fabric down along the tube with an xacto prior to removing it. Seemed to make it easier to get out for me.

Steve

Tags
awning, power