Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2015, 09:04 AM   #1

Problems cont. with long distance purchase

So what started out as auto leveling not working and a leak now looks much worse!
One of the 3 panels that cover the underneath is bulging and looks to be holding water. I called the dealer and it's not looking promising. I also left a message with John from Coachmen who handles service of 5th wheels.
I could cry. I love this unit. Obviously an investment and I fear the whole underneath is just soaking in water. I am hoping a Forest River dealer an hour away will do the work. In the mean time we continue to wait.
susanb06239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 09:08 AM   #2

Warranty work

I was also informed that the warranty work needs to be done at the original dealer according to manufacturer. Considering that RVs travel far and for extended periods of time, I find this odd.
Old 05-26-2015, 09:57 AM   #3

Call the dealership local to you and ask if they can do your warranty work. I was lucky and the dealership 10 miles away had no issue doing my warranty work rather than driving 100 miles to the original purchasing dealer.

Failing that, call FR and explain that you don't feel it is safe to tow it a great distance with the underbelly possibly full of water. It's not designed to hold water, it could burst sending parts flying into the road or your trailer wheels causing a crash. Ask if they can send a Mobile mechanic out instead, or authorize your warranty work at a closer dealer.
Loraura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 11:16 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanb06239 View Post
I was also informed that the warranty work needs to be done at the original dealer according to manufacturer. Considering that RVs travel far and for extended periods of time, I find this odd.
Apparently you didn't research how the RV industry works, before buying long distance.
They don't work like the Auto industry.
FR nor any other RV manufacturer can force a dealer to do warranty work on a unit that they didn't sell.
Coachmen should be able to find dealers in your area that would be willing to do the work.
If not, they usually will reimburse you for warranty work done by an independent RV shop, IF you get prior approval from Coachmen.

We bought our HTT from a dealer 2000 miles away.
FR found us local dealers willing to do the warranty work. I just had to accept that I would be at the back of the line.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 11:41 AM   #5

Warranty work doesn't need to be done by the selling dealer, however, the selling dealer is the only one REQUIRED to do warranty work on your unit.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 12:08 PM   #6

Warrenty Work

Well isn't that a shot in the arm. I was planning on purchasing a 21FBRS from Cheyenne Camping Center in Walcott Iowa. Living in Hot Springs Arkansas, that would be a two day drive, about 750 miles one way. There web site says that any warranty work must be coordinated with them first. I would be saving $5,500 dollars by purchasing from them instead of in Arkansas. I will have to reconsider my purchase if I cannot get warranty work done in Arkansas.
danield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 12:09 PM   #7

Just goes to show the RV industry is the poster child for putting out crappy products. Like I said in another post, the stuff they put out makes a mid eighties Yugo look like a quality built car. What America needs in a RV built by Toyota, Honda, or some other Japanese run company.
fvstringpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 12:15 PM   #8

I bought my new RV in Virginia (Clems) and drove it home to San Diego. Saving at least 20k. That pays for a lot of inconvenience. We love our 2015 Prism 24G.
Hussmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 12:35 PM   #9

We just bought our Sunseeker local and are now glad of it...picked her up Friday, back in the shop today already for safety issues and a toad hookup that doesn't work (so I'm without my car, too). Good luck with your issues...I hope the local dealer does your warranty work and does it well. I'm with fvstringpicker...I'd buy a Honda-built RV in a heartbeat...love my Element, great toad!

2015 Sunseeker 3010DS
2005 Honda Element (toad)
Now, Voyager, sail thou forth, to seek and find.
widogmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 01:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvstringpicker View Post
Just goes to show the RV industry is the poster child for putting out crappy products. Like I said in another post, the stuff they put out makes a mid eighties Yugo look like a quality built car. What America needs in a RV built by Toyota, Honda, or some other Japanese run company.
=============================
Guess you forgot the Junk that Japan produced in the 70's & 80"s. Rusted out within 2 years.... Oh and much of the junk that China now produces is owned by Japanese companies.
billb800si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 01:27 PM   #11

If you believe that your RV is holding water in the underbelly lining, you have some responsibility to stop further damage! Cut a small square (4"x4") of the material away to let it drain. If it is holding water cut another, or several, openings so that it can start to dry. It is easy to patch, or the dealer may replace the bulging piece. Good luck.
Travel safe

I Catch Fish......What is your SuperPower?
FordHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 03:23 PM   #12

Not preaching but just saying.....I don't understand someone spending 20..30 grand on a camper from a dealer hundreds or thousands of miles away. These units have thousands of parts. Parts will break. Parts will be installed or assembled incorrectly. Murphy's Law affects rvs just like everything else. I try to buy from local businesses whenever possible , not just campers. Refrigerators, mowers, etc. My experience has always been better with the smaller local retailer than the big box or online ones. Did I pay more? Maybe a little. Call it peace of mind. Best of luck with your repairs.
2013 Ram 1500
jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 03:28 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by billb800si View Post
=============================
Guess you forgot the Junk that Japan produced in the 70's & 80"s. Rusted out within 2 years.... Oh and much of the junk that China now produces is owned by Japanese companies.
I've never owned a Japanese car. All I've owned in the last 30 years are GMC. (currently have three trucks and a Terrain. I know, Govt Motors but they work for me) Its disheartening to see people spend upward of a lot of folk's yearly wage only to find leaks, plumbing problems, equipment not working, only to get the run around from the manufacture. Here's an idea. Improve inspection before it goes out the door. But despite this, you have to admit Honda and Toyota are pretty good cars.
fvstringpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 03:35 PM   #14

Has anyone gotten the Consumer Affairs Dept, or maybe the Better Business, Chamber of Commerce, local or at point of purchase, involved? Make noise, be pissed and make more noise.
RVPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 03:41 PM   #15

There is a real problem in the RV world. From the builders to the dealers. The main problem is the people are poorly trained and underpaid. They don't have to be certified to do the job. As long as people keep buying these an tolerate being treated like crap nothing will change. I can tell you if I had it to do over I would not have bought the last one and would never buy from the dealer again.
67cudafb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 03:41 PM   #16

Continued problem update

Thanks. Yes I did research. Can do the work and will do the work are two different things. My thought was the an RV that was brand new and cost the same as a small house in iowa might be stellar. (My last RV purchase was 7 years used when I bought it and it gave no grief.) And if it wasn't someone would show some customer service. As of right now my dealer in PA has come through with a mobile guy who would look at it. I had been speaking with service dept and they weren't too helpful but my sales person got involved and things moved quickly. I also found a Forest River dealer one hour away who doesn't sell Coachmen but will do the work. I am sure I will pay for the transport there and back. But I will with a smile if I can get this to be right.
I wasn't too pleased with the Coachmen manufacturer's service rep who really had no solution and said he "has no hammer to force dealers into work". He may not have a hammer but he has incentives he could offer.
Hoping it all goes well!
Old 05-26-2015, 03:49 PM   #17

Thanks for that. I did ask the service dept. He suggested I remove a screw. I am a little concerned that something might "give" and I may get hurt in the process. A small hole makes sense though. The black tank has been emptied, gray(was/is) running open and water supply turned off. It is leaking so I am going back to see if the pressure is relieving. I would like to see the panel off just to assess any water damage. I was told there is no wiring just tanks and the panels just keep the mice out. Thanks for the advice and I'll take whatever else you might think of.
Old 05-26-2015, 04:26 PM   #18

This may be a little off subject but when i bought my TT last year after getting it home and looking at it more closely I was surprised to find out how these things are thrown together, from wires hanging loosely under the trailer to a bent fresh water tank bracket to a black tank vent they literally broke to make it fit rendering useless. I'm of the opinion until we start importing RV's from other countries we are going to get more of the same.
danc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 04:50 PM   #19

Buying long distance is good if you save money, buying an extended warranty is a must. All authorized dealers can make repairs, if they are factory authorized.
lynn brownlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 06:27 PM   #20

Respectfully, I drove from Birmingham, to Detroit and saved $7,000.00 that was my money, plus when I picked up my camper it was clean and the walk through was done by a professional who knew the camper inside and out. The closing was everything they had promised and I got great service from hard working people who were happy to make a fair profit off a sale. They sale about 150 units a month to people who come from all over America. I would call them a sussess. They get their profits the old fashion way / I say they earned it. So I drove over to a better dealer and got a better deal from a better RV dealer. I would say again shop around / find a dealer who earns your business, don't buy out of convienance.

I still have the 25' I bought in 2009 from a huge local dealer who hired people that did not know the camper, who did not clean the camper, who did not make sure that the unit was ready for pick up. Who could not and did not keep their word or would not deal straight with me.
I work like a dog for my money and if I do businesses with some one they will need to earn my money like I do. So my advice is to make the best deal from a dealer who earns your business. All that other stuff you said about China and local support and such makes no cents to me , sorry peace out. I respectfully disagree with you on this point. Free enterprise weeds out the incompetent and slothful businesses.
To support slothful, lying scumbag local merchants is a form of social injustice, to prop up these business is a form of social support for those who don't earn what they get and breeds social decay. No disrespect but, I see things differently. You know what they say about opinions. Well we all have them. Well I spent more time than I have in my response, good luck and good camping
lynn brownlee is offline   Reply With Quote