Old 05-27-2015, 12:23 PM   #31

Good luck with that and I totally disagree. Autos are a necessity to our society and RV's are not. They should not be regulated the same way.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 12:56 PM   #32
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrjet View Post
Good luck with that
Too many people continue to use the Auto industry for comparison and that's a big mistake.
The only thing they have in common, is that they both sell things with wheels at dealerships.
Other than that, they couldn't be more different.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 02:38 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrjet View Post
Good luck with that and I totally disagree. Autos are a necessity to our society and RV's are not. They should not be regulated the same way.
I think they should. What could be more convincing than a 5+ ton RV losing a defective axle at 60mph? Other than the damage to the thing, what kind of safety problem is created when the standard "sub-standard" tires they've used goes off on a crowded interstate. What if shoddy wiring or H/A system causes a fire.
Another thing RVs have in common with the automobile is if certain parts fail, they'll hurt you.
Old 05-27-2015, 02:57 PM   #34

sad but true.
RV warranties are average compaired to automobile warranties, however some automotive manufacturers are backing out of warranty across USA or Canada unless you purchased locally.
if you purchased and then got transferred you might have an arguement.
We purchased our 2012 Salem out of the states because i was on MP posting and could bring back one item.
I chose to save almost 15G's by importing it to canada vs paying the 33G here.
same trailer and 15 G for a Canadian flag decal which seemed a bit much.
I wonder what arrangement the dealerships have with the factory for providing warranty work as a whole internationally?
friends of ours a couple years ago had a total delamination of the fiberglass shell on their 5th wheel and were told to haul it back to the factory for inspection one yr after they purchased new.
when you purchased the unit did anyone go over it with a fine tooth comb and list possible deficiencies?
The new toy hauler - 2016 Ford F150 Supercrew XTR ECOBOOST.
MilCop4523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 05:02 PM   #35

Here's the thing. Using a warranty, already built into the price, should be something to protect you in case something breaks. In my view, too many folks hardly get through the first trip without reporting this leaked, that broke, as a result of defects in material and workmanship.
Old 05-27-2015, 05:57 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvstringpicker View Post
Here's the thing. Using a warranty, already built into the price, should be something to protect you in case something breaks. In my view, too many folks hardly get through the first trip without reporting this leaked, that broke, as a result of defects in material and workmanship.
This I agree with. There seems to be a common acceptance that if you buy a brand new RV it will be expected that you go on a trip or 3, find everything that's wrong with it, bring it back to the dealership so they can keep it for a month to fix things that should have been working on a brand new purchase.

I can imagine the headlines if every brand new car purchased at a car dealership were all back in for warranty service for things that never worked correctly or broke right away with normal use.

However, I really like my new RV, and this was the only way to get it. Every other rv I've owned, I bought used, and the previous owners worked out the "kinks". I knew going into this that there would very likely be issues with it. in fact there was a little under the table bet going on between my husband and I. So far I only lost on one count... the converter was broken from day one.
Old 05-27-2015, 06:28 PM   #37

Problems cont. with long distance purchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hussmax View Post
I bought my new RV in Virginia (Clems) and drove it home to San Diego. Saving at least 20k. That pays for a lot of inconvenience. We love our 2015 Prism 24G.

Forest River/Coachman has worked with me (and Clems of PA) to use a local RV repair shop (repair only... Does not sell RV's) to get my warranty work completed. Much better than driving 300 miles for a small repair.
This might be an option for you.

2015 Coachmen Apex 288BHS
2014 Toyota Tundra 5.7L CrewMax

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 05-27-2015, 08:51 PM   #38

Problems resolved by long distant dealer :)

My sales person, when he was made aware by service dept of issues, had a local mobile service guy at my campsite within 24 hrs. The belly was holding water that was leaking from a poorly or never connected kitchen sink drain pipe. While there he also addressed the auto leveling that wasn't working a bulb that was out and a faucet base that was spinning. He started by saying "There will be no charge to you for anything I do. It is being handled by the Dan and the dealership." He took pictures and did a great job. Moral of this story... the dealership was responsive. It took the sales person to get it going but then he understands customer service and relationship building more than the service guys. The coachmen warranty rep who I thought would be a help was none at all. I guess my hunch early on about Dan and the dealership was right. No regrets...yet
(I will say though a lot of the comments about workmanship issues are truly evident here.) Hope this might help someone else.
Old 05-27-2015, 09:03 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanb06239 View Post
My sales person, when he was made aware by service dept of issues, had a local mobile service guy at my campsite within 24 hrs. The belly was holding water that was leaking from a poorly or never connected kitchen sink drain pipe. While there he also addressed the auto leveling that wasn't working a bulb that was out and a faucet base that was spinning. He started by saying "There will be no charge to you for anything I do. It is being handled by the Dan and the dealership." He took pictures and did a great job. Moral of this story... the dealership was responsive. It took the sales person to get it going but then he understands customer service and relationship building more than the service guys. The coachmen warranty rep who I thought would be a help was none at all. I guess my hunch early on about Dan and the dealership was right. No regrets...yet
(I will say though a lot of the comments about workmanship issues are truly evident here.) Hope this might help someone else.

Great that things worked out. It pays to be persistent.

2015 Coachmen Apex 288BHS
2014 Toyota Tundra 5.7L CrewMax

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 05-27-2015, 11:28 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvstringpicker View Post
Just goes to show the RV industry is the poster child for putting out crappy products. Like I said in another post, the stuff they put out makes a mid eighties Yugo look like a quality built car. What America needs in a RV built by Toyota, Honda, or some other Japanese run company.
I totally agree with you about the industry being the poster child for putting out crappy products along with horrible customer service.