Old 12-11-2015, 05:03 PM   #1

Problems with Coachmen warranty customer service?

We bought a new Coachmen Catalina 33BHKS at the end of March and were so excited since it was our first brand new camper (all previous ones were second hand). Long story short we had trouble with the kitchen slide necessitating taking it for warranty repair. Took it to the local Camping World instead of driving 300 miles to dealer for the work. CW had it for 6 weeks without doing any repair. We thought it was CW's fault so I called Coachmen and got some info re: authorizing the repair, shipping the parts, etc. We finally picked the camper up from CW since we had a trip planned, then took it back to CW when we returned. They kept it four more weeks with no results, no calls. When we called about it they said the parts had never come in (Coachmen had told me when I called the first time they were supposed to arrive two days after my call.)

Fed up, we picked the camper up and took it to the original dealer. Thought we were finally going to get somewhere. Same problem. Four weeks after taking it up there, we called the dealer and they said Coachmen hadn't authorized the work. I called Coachmen again and they said, "Oh - we just did it yesterday but I'll call and check." Called me back and said they just ordered the parts and they should be shipping out in the next day or two.

Fast forward to this week. Called dealer - no parts. I called Coachmen again and they said, "Oh, they just went out yesterday I think" --- almost THREE weeks since they had told me they were shipping the next day.

I called the dealer today and they finally rec'd the parts but don't know how long it will be before they will complete the repairs.

Bottom line is, when I was calling back and forth between Camping World and Coachmen the first go round, I finally figured out the problem wasn't on Camping World's end, but on Coachmen's. They drug their feet, told me one thing one time I called and something different the next. (Talked to the same person every time but one.) CW contributed to the frustration by not calling us to let us know what was going on for weeks at a time.

When we took it to the dealer for repair I had the same experience. Coachmen drug it's feet and told me flat out lies hem-hawing around.

We have not had the use of our camper for going on 4.5 months out of the 8 we've had it.

Has anyone else had this problem with Coachmen?

While packing up to go home from a camping trip just a couple of months after purchasing it, the kitchen slide cocked to the side while my husband was sliding it in, dug into the linoleum tearing a hole, and breaking the left fascia board/trim on the slide. He stopped it immediately. We were finally able to get in so we could get home.

Old 12-11-2015, 05:05 PM   #2

Does anyone think it's worth pursuing asking for an extension of the warranty and if so, who would I contact? I don't want to talk to the guy I've been talking to all this time.

Old 12-11-2015, 05:07 PM   #3

I've had an AC unit and a Converter replaced under warranty and both times everything was authorized, received, installed, and ready in 1 week.
2015 RAM 1500 5.7L V8
2015 Coachmen Freedom Express 292BHDS
Loraura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 06:16 PM   #4
(Dry Huunday)

I only had one minor warranty repair and it went smooth. Dealer fixed the problem then sent the bill to Coachmen.

Sorry to hear about your troubles

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 11:10 PM   #5

Coachmen is PAINFULLY slow in shipping parts from everything that I have dealt with.

I have seen 6-8 weeks pretty standard for most of my parts when they have been ordered over the year. I've seen 2-4 weeks for approval.

Mine is in for the final time for the completion of my warranty. Will be posting once I get the finaliced writeup of everything.
Old 12-15-2015, 01:54 PM   #6
Dahagen

I had one issue with my Mirada under warranty and the part problem was the dealer, not Coachman. After four months, Coachman said find another repair place. I did, and the new place got the part within a week.
Old 12-15-2015, 01:56 PM   #7
Paradise has arrived!

Just curious. Who did you talk to at coachmen?
Old 12-15-2015, 02:11 PM   #8
Dahagen

It was about a year and a half ago, but here is the person.....
John Vrydaghs
Coachmen RV Class A Division
Warranty Service Manager

Direct: 574-825-8212

johnv@forestriverinc.com
Old 12-15-2015, 02:13 PM   #9

I guess I don't feel so bad now. Mine has been a CW for 2 months out of 7 months of owning unit. CW claims they are waiting on authorization for warranty work and Forest River claims they are waiting on request. I have had it with both of them. I even offered to sell them back this piece of crap and go buy a good one from a good dealer.
Old 12-15-2015, 03:06 PM   #10

Dealer/Mfg. lies

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam2424 View Post
I guess I don't feel so bad now. Mine has been a CW for 2 months out of 7 months of owning unit. CW claims they are waiting on authorization for warranty work and Forest River claims they are waiting on request. I have had it with both of them. I even offered to sell them back this piece of crap and go buy a good one from a good dealer.
Would a three way call not streamline the process and prevent lies and finger pointing between dealer and Mfg.??

Just a thought.

Tags
coachmen, customer service, service, warranty