Old 10-24-2014, 09:32 AM   #1

Propane Cans

It is my understanding that the Coachmen 320BHDS comes with 20lb propane cans. We are interested in upgrading to 30lb cans. My question is...Will the factory plastic can covering fit the 30lb cans tall? I was looking around at after market covers and they all say 20 /30 lb covers. It leads me to believe that the factory cover will still fit the taller cans. Am I correct? We don't pick up until next week and our dealer is over 2 hrs away, so I can't just pop over to look myself. We are planning a trip just a couple days after picking up and want everything to be perfect. So I am trying to pre-order what I need, so we can get it the way we want with just a couple days to spare. Thanking everyone in advance for their answers.

Old 10-24-2014, 10:12 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lori08360 View Post
It is my understanding that the Coachmen 320BHDS comes with 20lb propane cans. We are interested in upgrading to 30lb cans. My question is...Will the factory plastic can covering fit the 30lb cans tall? I was looking around at after market covers and they all say 20 /30 lb covers. It leads me to believe that the factory cover will still fit the taller cans. Am I correct? We don't pick up until next week and our dealer is over 2 hrs away, so I can't just pop over to look myself. We are planning a trip just a couple days after picking up and want everything to be perfect. So I am trying to pre-order what I need, so we can get it the way we want with just a couple days to spare. Thanking everyone in advance for their answers.
The (Diameter of the tanks is the same) The (30) is just taller! Good luck on (Everything Perfect),you set the bar high!Youroo!! PS you will need a longer (Hold Down Rod) for your (30) tanks!

Old 10-24-2014, 10:59 AM   #3
Site Team

I've also been wanting to switch from 20s to 30s. As far as I can tell, all I need is 2 new 30s, a longer piece of threaded rod (I think 1/2" diam, but I haven't measured yet) and a new propane tank cover. The one I have now doesn't have much space at the top so I assume if I tried to put it over the 30s it'll look like my DS's pant legs when he has a growth spurt.

If I do get around to doing the swap, I'd probably just use the too short cover to start, until I can get to the dealer and change it for a new one. If I remember correctly the height difference is around 1/2' so with the 1" or so slack I have now, plus the 1" of tray the tanks sit in, the short cover should only expose maybe 3-4" of tank at the bottom.

Of course, this is would be in my case. It will all depend on your particular cover and rig.

Edit: I just had an extra thought. You said you're picking it up from a dealer over 2 hours away? Why not just call the dealer and see what they'll charge you to change it over before you pick it up? Might be able to get away with just the cost difference of 20-30lbs tanks. That way it's all said and done before you even get there.
Old 10-24-2014, 04:40 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies. Our dealer said we could keep our 30s off our trade and he would keep the 20s off the new unit. He said "all you need is a cover" . I did not realize about the hold down rod, so I am glad I asked. For the time being, I guess we will try to use the cover for the 20s but I agree that it will be too short. Thanks for everything.
Old 10-24-2014, 04:51 PM   #5

lori08360 how old are your 30lbs tanks? remember they need to be retested at 10yrs old. You may want to replace them now , the dealer is getting a deal on keeping the new 20's that he can resell to someone else.Maybe he will give you new 30's for just the difference in price between the 20's and the 30's.
wana65stang is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane