Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2016, 12:18 PM   #1

Proper way to flush a fresh water tank on a 2015 Leprechaun 319dsf

Hi all. We purchased a 2015 Coachmen Leprechaun 319dsf in March of 2015. At the time, the dealer filled the fresh water tank 1/3. Our camping so far has been at local campgrounds with full hook-ups. We are now getting ready to go on a 4-5000 mile trip over the next 3-4 months. I want to make sure that there is some water in the fresh water tank for emergencies and I know after this long that the fresh water tank should be drained, cleaned and flushed before I fill it (probably 1/2 full unless you think otherwise). I have found the low point drain, but beyond that I am not sure exactly what to do. I am entirely in your capable hands. Thank you in advance.

Mike
kjrmhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 12:57 PM   #2

Sanitize system with bleach. Lots of Youtube videos but basically fill entire fresh water tank with water and one quarter cup bleach for every 15 gallons of water. Let sit overnight. Empty then rinse entire tank and your good to go.
Doesn't hurt to run faucets till you smell bleach either. Make sure you remove house water filter first.
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 01:03 PM   #3

Your fresh water tank will have a plug or a valve on the bottom. My current camper has a ball valve, but my last one just had a plug to unscrew. Regardless, it will drain your tank. You may need to get a big pair of pliers to unscrew the plug.

Drain, add a gallon of bleach and fill it all the way up. Let it sit for a bit, then drain again.

I made the mistake of leaving fresh water in my old camper for about 3 months, and it was absolutely horrible. Stunk like hot farts.
lugoismad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 02:09 PM   #4

Thanks for the info. I currently have the RV at the house charging the batteries, loading up, etc. When I drain the tank, since I don't have a drain on the bottom of the tank, do I just turn on the water pump and open the low point drain?
Old 10-17-2016, 03:24 PM   #5

All FW tanks that I know of have a drain. . It may be connected to your low point drain
Old 10-18-2016, 07:51 PM   #6

Flushing FW tank on 2015 Leprechaun 319dsf

I sympathize with you. I have a similar unit. There is a drain hose, blue in color, with a pet cock in your 2nd from rear compartment. If you open it, nothing happens but if you activate your water pump, it will pump it out. I took this up with my service adviser and told him what a stupid setup. He said it should drain from the low point drains. It does not. This is my 8th RV so I am not new to draining, winterizing etc. It seems they took the easy way out instead of attaching a hose to the excisting place on the water tank and going down. It is crowded there but it could be done.
By the way, it does not drain to my satisfaction so I tilt my motorhome so that you get a better drain. Dumb set up.
rurkaep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 07:57 PM   #7

Do you guys have a gravity fill or pressurized fill for FW. . A vacuum may form preventing tank to drain. . Just thinking out loud
Old 10-18-2016, 08:18 PM   #8

I got it to drain today. ALL day. You are right. Stupid setup. And I only had 1/3 of a tank. Anyway, I have filled it up and have bleach in the tank. Tomorrow morning I will start the drain process all over again. I will try your tip and put it on an angle to see if it drains faster. So far, this has been the only thing that I haven't been happy about. I really love the unit. Thanks for the tips everyone.

Tags
fresh water, tank, water, water tank