Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2013, 09:48 PM   #1

Pros & Cons of leaving camper at park?

Just got back from a long 4 day weekend of camping. Had a great time weather was awesome! The campground has a couple of seasonal spots opening up for next year. We're thinking of taking that leap. We've only had our camper 29dds since February, and been out a half a dozen times so far. We have found that prepping before and clean up afterwards is adding a couple of hours of work that could be spent relaxing if camper was left at the grounds. Also we're finding mpg to the grounds about an hour an a half from home is dismal, around 7mpg. So I put it about there gimme all the good and bad.
Whatdidigetmyselfinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:07 PM   #2
MI Camperz

We used to tow a Hi-Lo and then went seasonal with a 34' TT b/c my DH rarely gets time off and it affords us a recreational life within easy reach.

Pros: Economical by far (we pay less than 2k a year which includes a ton of ammenties and our dock spot), More time to have fun (open the door when you get there and shut it when you leave), make new friends (not as transient), customize your lot, no storage worries (our camper stays there year round), far less wear and tear on the camper, don't need to worry about a TV, everyone knows everyone and looks out for one another (could be a con, LOL), more like a "cottage" really without having responsibility and expense of ownership. Children seem to really love it that they make friends too. No need to pack or unpack, keep your stuff and clothes there. Resale is nice as it usually includes the whole shebang...camper, deck, shed, and perhaps a Golf Cart.

Cons: Get the itch to travel, but some pull out and go places and return when they're done, we got a tent to go places. Initially, setting up your lot is a bit of work (deck or patio, etc), but only do it once really. Politics of knowing everyone.

For more info: I started a thread for seasonal camping.

Good luck. I highly recommend it for economy and ease.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:31 PM   #3
Site Team

Depending on the length of commitment you might just give it a try and see how it works out for you especially if its something like a month-to-month period of time.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:42 AM   #4

I can see the benefit of it if you aren't a gypsy like me I get bored with the same places, although if it were a site on a nice lake with a beautiful view and nice amenities I could be tempted ~ especially when I get the urge to run away for a quick overnighter. We did a one month for $99 at Royal Coachman in Sarasota FL once (DD won it at the big RV show in January) and that was great. We headed down Friday after work and wandered home Sunday evening. So much less work and stress, just a quick drop by the grocery on the way in. I don't know how long I would like it but if you don't have to drop a hunk of cash and it sounds good to you, just try it
Old 08-05-2013, 09:31 AM   #5

After travelling all over this great country of ours and seeing the sites we went seasonal 6 years ago. We're up there every weekend. If we weren't on a seasonal site I highly doubt we'd go camping every weekend to a different spot. Unlock the door, unpack the cooler into the fridge, put out the awning, turn the water spigot on, done! Like bodzcampers mentioned there are pros and cons. We've made so many new friends and we actually get together a couple times during the off season. Best thing you can do is try it for a year and if you don't like it you can always leave.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 06:33 AM   #6

We just went seasonal this year after 12 years of traveling and we love it.we camp every weekend now compared to once or twice a month. We have made lots of friends already and look forward to every weekend to hangout with them.give it a try for a season and see if you like it.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:25 PM   #7

This is our second season with our 29dds at a seasonal site, was kinda unsure at first but as others have said you will get more use out of it. We used to go a few weekends a camping season and now were there every weekend that we can. If you have a boat now you can have it there. So I get a lot more use out of both my TT and my boat. Just talk to people in the park before you committ and look around to find a park that fits you and your family needs.

Best of luck.
North Bay ONT CANADA
spud7378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:40 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatdidigetmyselfinto View Post
Just got back from a long 4 day weekend of camping. Had a great time weather was awesome! The campground has a couple of seasonal spots opening up for next year. We're thinking of taking that leap. We've only had our camper 29dds since February, and been out a half a dozen times so far. We have found that prepping before and clean up afterwards is adding a couple of hours of work that could be spent relaxing if camper was left at the grounds. Also we're finding mpg to the grounds about an hour an a half from home is dismal, around 7mpg. So I put it about there gimme all the good and bad.
Just made the jump! We're camping this weekend, we are first on the list and they have decided to switch a pretty nice site to seasonal. Thanks for all the advice!
Whatdidigetmyselfinto is offline   Reply With Quote