Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2019, 01:52 PM   #1
FLY4FUN
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: PIEDMONT NC
Posts: 72
Pry off wheel "cap" (without damage)?

"Assuming" that there's access to a grease zerk under the "mag type" wheel cap ('14 Apex 22QBS) I was gonna "pop" the cap off with a screwdriver. After damaging a couple of the flimsy caps, I stopped...gotta be a better way? My previous TT had just the rubber "plug" and, again, assuming...I'm thinking that a similar plug is under the "chrome" cap(?). As usual, the detailed & useless "owners manual" only tells me that everything about the trailer may kill me, but it doesn't explain how those things actually work . ...anyone know if there's a special tool for removing these little aluminum or "pot metal" caps without damaging? Thanks! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1292.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	228.1 KB
ID:	214701
__________________

14apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 01:56 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 1,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14apex View Post
"Assuming" that there's access to a grease zerk under the "mag type" wheel cap ('14 Apex 22QBS) I was gonna "pop" the cap off with a screwdriver. After damaging a couple of the flimsy caps, I stopped...gotta be a better way? My previous TT had just the rubber "plug" and, again, assuming...I'm thinking that a similar plug is under the "chrome" cap(?). As usual, the detailed & useless "owners manual" only tells me that everything about the trailer may kill me, but it doesn't explain how those things actually work . ...anyone know if there's a special tool for removing these little aluminum or "pot metal" caps without damaging? Thanks! Attachment 214701
most are plastic and a screw driver is the only way i know how to get them off . you will see the rubber plug on the hub dust cap once you get the cheap covers off
__________________

MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 02:13 PM   #3
Head Rambler
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Southwest Alabama
Posts: 6,787
A plastic putty knife or a set of trim tools will pry them off without damaging them.
__________________
Salem 29RKSS Pushing a GMC Sierra 2500HD!
Gotta go campin!
Bama Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 11:02 PM   #4
Retired Old Fart
 
dward51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: McDonough, GA
Posts: 619
Are you sure it actually comes off? My Freedom Express center caps are solid and I have to pull the tire to access the cover to the zerk (yes, there is another center cap over the axle nut under the wheel center cap). My caps in the wheel push out the back side of the wheel and do not come off through the front of the rim.

My 2 boat trailers have center caps with the easy to pop off rubber covers over the zerk, but not my Coachman FE.
__________________
Just the 2 of us in a...
2015 Freedom Express 246RKS
2002 GMC Sierra 1500
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 06:58 AM   #5
FLY4FUN
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: PIEDMONT NC
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by dward51 View Post
Are you sure it actually comes off? My Freedom Express center caps are solid and I have to pull the tire to access the cover to the zerk (yes, there is another center cap over the axle nut under the wheel center cap). My caps in the wheel push out the back side of the wheel and do not come off through the front of the rim.

My 2 boat trailers have center caps with the easy to pop off rubber covers over the zerk, but not my Coachman FE.
Yes, they do come off...but, it's probably best to remove the wheels as the little caps are so easy to damage, even when using plastic pry tools.
14apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 07:09 AM   #6
Site Team
 
KyDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 8,313
Try back to back putty knifes and work around rather than just prying one side.
__________________
Peace!
Dan & Rita D
2017 Nissan Titan 5.6L King cab 4wd
1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 07:28 AM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 86
Instead of using screwdrivers as pry bars, try automotive body trim tools. They’re strong plastic, and won’t scratch or mark your work. I have a set from Harbor Freight and I’ve found many uses for them. They work great for dash board and interior trim, and might work on those hub caps.

__________________
2020 Sunseeker 2440DS Ford
BehindBars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 08:20 AM   #8
Pickin', Campin', Mason
 
5picker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: South Western PA
Posts: 10,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
Instead of using screwdrivers as pry bars, try automotive body trim tools. Theyíre strong plastic, and wonít scratch or mark your work. I have a set from Harbor Freight and Iíve found many uses for them. They work great for dash board and interior trim, and might work on those hub caps.

X2
I always try to use the right tool for the job.
__________________
_________________________________________
2016 Flagstaff 8529IKBS Diamond Package 5th Wheel-Goodyear Endurance Tires
2017 Ford F-Series SCREW 4x4 - Factory Puck B&W Companion
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '16=46 '17=30 '18=51 '19=50
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 08:21 AM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 6
The plastic end caps on my Rockwood Signature Ultralite have a notch for removal I use a 8" pry bar and it works great. No twisting like you have to do with a screw driver. You can purchase a cheap set that includes a 8" at Harbor Freight for $6.99 + tax.
https://www.harborfreight.com/3-piec...set-66840.html
mrarmyaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 09:45 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
Instead of using screwdrivers as pry bars, try automotive body trim tools. Theyíre strong plastic, and wonít scratch or mark your work. I have a set from Harbor Freight and Iíve found many uses for them. They work great for dash board and interior trim, and might work on those hub caps.


Gotta LOVE Harbor Freight, especially for these specialty tools that you only use once in awhile. I have a more professional trim removal tool that I've had for years, made to pop off interior panels by getting in behind them, works great.
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 10:40 AM   #11
FLY4FUN
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: PIEDMONT NC
Posts: 72
Great & very useful info./suggestions, folks -- much appreciated! I "thought" that I had every conceivable tool that I'd ever need...but, these HF plastic prys are gonna be excellent for this little project as well as others. Thanks!
__________________

14apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
wheel

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:18 AM.


×