Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2013, 07:44 PM   #1

Pulling a Freedom Express 298 REDS w/ F-150 EB

I am a TT newbie and would appreciate some advice.

I am considering a Freedom Express Liberty Edition 298 REDS. Hitch weight is 766 pounds. Yellow sticker claims a dry weight of 7492.

I have a 2013 Ford F150 Ecoboost, 3.55 axle, regular hitch package, SuperCrew, 5.5' bed. Payload is limited to 1151 pounds because it's a heavily-optioned FX4 Appearance Package truck. Max trailer weight is 9600 pounds.

Has anyone with a truck with similar specs pulled a Coachmen like this? Any issues? Salesman says will pull like a dream but I am still critical and investigating on my own.

Thanks a bunch!

Chris
Cwalker2731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 08:51 PM   #2
Professional Curmudgeon

From that payload you need to deduct:
about 50 pounds for the hitch
total weight of passengers
weight of full tank of fuel
weight of any "stuff" such as cooler, food, drinks, tools, etc. - basically anything you carry that didn't come with the truck
any aftermarket accessories - running boards, bed cover, mud flaps, etc.
tongue weight of the loaded trailer.

That last is kind of hard to estimate when you don't even own the camper, but 766 lbs dry can easily become 850 lbs or more.
I think you'll find yourself right at the payload limits, if not over them. Your ecobeast will surely tow it, but I bet it'll be closer to a "nightmare" than a "dream".
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 11:06 AM   #3
daydreaming about camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwalker2731 View Post
I am a TT newbie and would appreciate some advice.

I am considering a Freedom Express Liberty Edition 298 REDS. Hitch weight is 766 pounds. Yellow sticker claims a dry weight of 7492.

I have a 2013 Ford F150 Ecoboost, 3.55 axle, regular hitch package, SuperCrew, 5.5' bed. Payload is limited to 1151 pounds because it's a heavily-optioned FX4 Appearance Package truck. Max trailer weight is 9600 pounds.

Has anyone with a truck with similar specs pulled a Coachmen like this? Any issues? Salesman says will pull like a dream but I am still critical and investigating on my own.

Thanks a bunch!

Chris
Based upon the yellow empty sticker dry weight, and knowing those are always just a little light, I would guess your loaded ready to camp weight at no less than 8500 pounds.

First, wow, those REDS are heavy! My 320 BHDS is not much more than that despite being several feet longer.

Back on topic, if you figured a 12.5% tongue weight (what you want to shoot for) you would be at 1063 pounds. I understand the tongue weight can run a little light on the rear entertainment/kitchen models as they have more weight in the back of the trailer. But I think you need to estimate at least 1,000 pounds tongue weight, maybe a little more.

Hope that helps in your figures.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 09:30 PM   #4

Same set up '13 29REDS '13 FXR Ecoboost, no probs at all! Truck drives like a dream on roids! Followed friend with diesel and same size trailer and had an enjoyable trip! Just gotta gotta remember lotta trailer, little truck, plenty of power and brake but u gotta be careful and be on top of it!
budda347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 12:58 AM   #5

You've got the power to pull it, just make sure the back end of your truck isn't dragging once you hitch it up. Use a good WD hitch. Other than that, just make sure your tires and suspension can handle it.
wneise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 11:35 AM   #6

There is too much tongue weight for that truck. I had an 08 F150 XLT with a sticker CC of 1550lbs. My tongue weight on my 292 is 1000lbs loaded for camping. The truck will pull the weight fine but your rear will squat quite a bit and porpoising may be an issue going over bumps as the springs & shocks on the F150's are designed more for comfort than load. You may also experience tail wagging the dog scenario when there are high winds or being passed by transports.
2013 Nights Booked: 38
2013 Nights Camped: 40
pwrplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 01:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeplj8 View Post
Based upon the yellow empty sticker dry weight, and knowing those are always just a little light, I would guess your loaded ready to camp weight at no less than 8500 pounds.

First, wow, those REDS are heavy! My 320 BHDS is not much more than that despite being several feet longer.

Back on topic, if you figured a 12.5% tongue weight (what you want to shoot for) you would be at 1063 pounds. I understand the tongue weight can run a little light on the rear entertainment/kitchen models as they have more weight in the back of the trailer. But I think you need to estimate at least 1,000 pounds tongue weight, maybe a little more.

Hope that helps in your figures.
Looking back thru my notes, my 298REDS usually tips the scale at 890lbs tongue, which is only 10% for me. Thats with full 30lb gas bottles and 2 big batteries in front.
Old 02-04-2014, 02:39 PM   #8
Grandpa's big Blue truck

Smile

We have a ( see signature )310bhds (very similar weight to what you are looking at) and my truck pulls it very well but I have the max tow package on mine & LT tires WDHitch . It is at the top of its capabilities. I think you're truck will probably pull it ok but not great in my opinion you would be happier looking for a lighter tt happy camping
Love camping with grandkids
russellsawatsky 56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 11:55 AM   #9

Towing

I have a 06 f150 and a 2014 320 bhds, the truck can pull it but its not the best. Like the last comment big trailer little truck. On the road its fine until big trucks start passing. The truck and trailer sway back and forth and all you can do is hold on. I have wdh on it and just added a helper spring on it from supersprings which made a world of a difference the truck sits way better now. Ive towed the trailer with a f250 and 350 and it handles much better. With the f150 the trailer is hard to control when big trucks pass by you at 60mph or faster, i don't go faster then 60mph because then im just pushing the truck to much. With the f250 it pulls much better i control the trailer and i can go 75mph with no problem. I don't do long trips because of that thats why Im in the market for a 250 or 350
Siryogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 10:25 PM   #10

I know the original thread is old, but I would like to add my experience in case someone stumbles across this thread as I did. I owned a 2013 Ram 1500 Crew Cab, 2 wheel drive, 5.7 Hemi, factory trailer brake, WD hitch with the solid steel bars, Firestone airbags inside the rear springs and of course an electric brake and a fiberglass topper on the truck bed. I have a 2014 Coachman 29SE (four bunks) similar to the OP's unit. The truck had more than enough power to pull and plenty of braking power. What it did not have is a strong enough rear suspension to ease my towing fears. Even with the airbags I added, it would still squat my rear just a little bit. After researching topics that pertained to tire beads being damaged over time, I opted to put LT tires on mine. I have the 20x9 chrome clad wheels so the tires were about $250 each. When installed, the rear of my truck swayed all over the road, without the trailer even hooked up. No one could tell me why installing the 10 ply tires made my truck change so much. So now I own a 2014 Ram 2500 4x4. I did not need the 4x4, but the truck was an off-lease truck, so that is the way it came. I increased my towing capacity from 8800 pounds to a little over 12000 and my truck does not squat AT ALL. It also came with a Class V hitch instead of a Class IV.
cairopd1069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 04:09 AM   #11
Just a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cairopd1069 View Post
Even with the airbags I added, it would still squat my rear just a little bit.
Your weight distributing hitch was not set up properly. Set up correctly, the TV should squat equally front and rear - without airbags.

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
freedom express