Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2013, 11:49 PM   #1

question on enclosed underbelly construction

I just traded my 26bh in for a santara 27dbs and one of the advertised features was a heated and enclosed underbelly, when I got it home the belly was in fact not enclosed. I called the dealer and tried saying that it wasn't necessary and I insisted that it was. He said they will just cover it with coraplast and install a heating duct into the area and states that is how the coachmens construct their heated underbellys. Does this seem correct? I was pretty sure that the underbellys has some form of insulation behind the coraplast
cyberdude47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 12:15 AM   #2

Enclosed does not mean insulated.
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 12:21 AM   #3

The exact wording was "heated and enclosed tanks". So does anyone know standard practice on how this is constructed?
Old 08-04-2013, 10:41 AM   #4

Heated could mean that there is a heating pad on the outside bottom of the tank. Heated basement or heated underbelly are different.
RV Holding Tank Heating Pads | ModMyRV.
Enclosed tanks could mean that the tanks themselves are each surrounded by a material of some kind. Usually, the entire underbelly of the unit is covered with coraplast.
There isn't much standard practice in the RV manuf. world. There are a lot of common terms that generally describe a feature that is usually fitted to the unit in a common way.
You'll notice that almost all RV manuf's. have the good old "specifications subject to change without notice" clause.
One can inspect b4 acceptance and accept or refuse the unit as it was delivered.
Old 08-04-2013, 02:10 PM   #5

I'm just having quite a few probs with the dealer where there was specific items that were listed as options and after bringing it home finding out it doesn't have. Another is a black tank flush. The listing said it has it and I can't see one installed. I'm just really hoping the dealer makes things right or I'm going to be pissed!
Old 08-04-2013, 02:48 PM   #6

"I'm just really hoping the dealer makes things right"
Me too.
Good luck.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:42 PM   #7

Thx, ill keep things posted
Old 08-05-2013, 01:55 PM   #8
daydreaming about camping

In general RV speak, an "enclosed underbelly" simply means it has covered with coroplast and most gaps have been sealed with expanding foam sealant.

A "heated enclosed underbelly" generally means that there is a dedicated duct from the heater that goes to the underbelly. However some makers simply route the heater ducts through the underbelly and rely on the radiant heat from the ductwork to heat the underbelly.

On my Coachmen (like all I have seen) there is no additional insulation. The purpose to keep the water/sewer lines all above freezing.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:02 PM   #9

Thanks, exactly what I was inquiring about

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeplj8 View Post
In general RV speak, an "enclosed underbelly" simply means it has covered with coroplast and most gaps have been sealed with expanding foam sealant.

A "heated enclosed underbelly" generally means that there is a dedicated duct from the heater that goes to the underbelly. However some makers simply route the heater ducts through the underbelly and rely on the radiant heat from the ductwork to heat the underbelly.

On my Coachmen (like all I have seen) there is no additional insulation. The purpose to keep the water/sewer lines all above freezing.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:08 PM   #10

Dealer claims they will make things right, time will tell if the stand up to their word when it goes in
Old 08-07-2013, 01:18 PM   #11

Lots of those listings include every option that could possibly be on a particular model. The term "if so equipped" is pretty useful with some of those lists.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 01:45 PM   #12

I often wonder if that whole enclosed and heated underbelly thing was just clever marketing turning a manufacturing shortcut into a feature. By enclosing the underbelly with coroplast they don't have to dress and route the wiring, but just allow it to dangle down like a rats nest. And by virtue of the fact the ducting for floor vents passes through there anyway, they claim it is heated.

Bob
2013 Rockwood HW296
w4drr is offline   Reply With Quote