Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2018, 10:13 PM   #1

Re-piping the black & gray tank drains

Wondering if anyone has re-piped their waste drains for the gray and black tanks on an Apex Nano 193BHS.

- The first picture is the current piping set up.
- I want to remove the 2 x 90 elbows and place a straight pipe out of the black tank.
- Then attach the sanitation tee in picture 2 to the straight pipe to allow the Rhino clean out in picture 3 to connect and have a straight shot into the black tank.

Has anyone done anything similar to this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180718_161201_HDR.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	180280   Click image for larger version

Name:	san tee.png
Views:	211
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	180282  
Attached Images

Hwkscr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 06:48 AM   #2

I don't see why that couldn't be done. With that said and given the access you have to the tanks why not install a black tank flush directly to the tank and save yourself all that work? Just something to consider.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 06:57 AM   #3

I agree with Post#2 plenty of access for any direction you wish to go! Youroo!!
Old 07-19-2018, 06:58 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
I don't see why that couldn't be done. With that said and given the access you have to the tanks why not install a black tank flush directly to the tank and save yourself all that work? Just something to consider.
That's another option I'm considering, I'm still not a fan of how the waste pipes hang down so low. These are definitely the lowest items on my TT. Trying to prevent potential disasters [emoji51][emoji23].
Old 07-19-2018, 07:36 AM   #5

I can't recall reading of anyone knocking off their dump valves. I camp off road often and have never had a problem. In rough areas go slow. Also before moving remember this rule of thumb water flows down hill.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 09:36 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwkscr View Post
Wondering if anyone has re-piped their waste drains for the gray and black tanks on an Apex Nano 193BHS.

- The first picture is the current piping set up.
- I want to remove the 2 x 90 elbows and place a straight pipe out of the black tank.
- Then attach the sanitation tee in picture 2 to the straight pipe to allow the Rhino clean out in picture 3 to connect and have a straight shot into the black tank.

Has anyone done anything similar to this?

I'm looking to raise mine also but since my outlet is close to the front axle on my toy hauler TT I am not going to try to relocate it only raise. If you get too far from the tire you take a chance of dragging the outlet in some campsites. Toy hauler travel trailers are known to be low and I have a hard time getting enough slope to drain properly.
2005 Victory Vegas
Zoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 12:40 PM   #7

Not much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwkscr View Post
That's another option I'm considering, I'm still not a fan of how the waste pipes hang down so low. These are definitely the lowest items on my TT. Trying to prevent potential disasters [emoji51][emoji23].
You can't raise it much, or it will be higher than the tank bottom and the tank won't drain completely. (Water flows downhill).

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 01:54 PM   #8

Here's another option you might consider

I did this mod on my Apex 249RBS because the drains are located just in front of the rear skid plate & the factory "Y" valve was a couple inches lower than the plate. I didn't want to risk breaking the drain valve when the TT ended up at a weird angle (& they ALL end up in a weird angle at some point!). It has worked out well since I leave gray valve open while camping and then switch the hose to the black valve when we're leaving.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	249RBS #1.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	317.8 KB
ID:	180346   Click image for larger version

Name:	249RBS #2.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	373.4 KB
ID:	180347  

Camping days since 2015(39), '16(71) '17(72), '18(99), '19(36), '20(41) '21(52-so far!)

slottere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 06:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by slottere View Post
I did this mod on my Apex 249RBS because the drains are located just in front of the rear skid plate & the factory "Y" valve was a couple inches lower than the plate. I didn't want to risk breaking the drain valve when the TT ended up at a weird angle (& they ALL end up in a weird angle at some point!). It has worked out well since I leave gray valve open while camping and then switch the hose to the black valve when we're leaving.
Good stuff here! My main objective for the project is to eliminate the two 90° bends and allow my rhino blaster a direct shot into the black tank to avoid waste being left behind. Plumbing standard requires pipe to have a 1/4" fall per liner foot of pipe. Given the tank already slopes slightly to the drain side, and I plan to have the clean out be roughly 12-18" in length. Gravity won't be an issue. When I took delivery of the unit the waste pipe had already been damaged and the pipe support was a zip-tie [emoji51][emoji848]. Tucking it up, removing the bends, and shortening the runs seems like a better setup.

I also will be adding the Camco waste vent siphon to pull those [emoji90] odors out.

Anyone used this?Click image for larger version

Name:	31992ndiagram.jpeg
Views:	127
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	180390
Old 07-19-2018, 09:20 PM   #10

I have a toy hauler, 27rr and the axels have been flipped.

It has a gray water drain just in front of the front tire and the black water drain is behind the rear tire.

I'm at a place with full hooks ups for 2 month and needed 3 drain hoses and a Y to drain or move the drain hose from the black water drain to the gray water drain. My black water has an oder and I didn't want to deal with it when draining. ( Don't get my drift. )

I wanted to be able to drain gray water into the black water tank when boon docking and aid in flushing the black water tank when dumping. This also would allow me to drain my tanks using one drain hose hooked to the black water drain fitting. If I was at a place where I could drain my gray water on the ground, provided I didn't open the mixing valve, the original gray water drain is still in place.

After lots of research and reading a great post on this sight. I added a tee at the black water drain, a tee in the gray water drain and connected them with a pipe with valve on it. The pipe is routed above the drain valves, below the tanks and is sloped toward the gray water tank.

So far so good.
n0ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 06:39 PM   #11

So I finally had a little bit of time today to re-pipe the waste lines. Eliminated the 90° bends for the black tank and brought 11/2" grey line over. It's tucked up nice and tight close to the frame and doesn't bounce anymore. Happy with the results.Click image for larger version

Name:	20180728_173007_HDR.jpeg
Views:	262
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	181580
Old 07-28-2018, 06:43 PM   #12

Looks nice.

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 12:48 AM   #13

Nice work, but damn you. No I have another project. Lol
DMcGruther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 06:50 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcGruther View Post
Nice work, but damn you. No I have another project. Lol
I have to admit, this worked so well this weekend. With the initial dump of the black tank, most of the stuff came out. After running the Rhino sprayer for 1 minute, the black tank ran clear! Very pleased with the results.
Old 08-06-2018, 07:17 AM   #15

Very nice work !! Mabee you could teach the factory how to properly do plumbing. 😊
Decon Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 10:46 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decon Blue View Post
Very nice work !! Mabee you could teach the factory how to properly do plumbing. 😊
With the tanks being visible and right there, why wouldn't it be plumbed like that to begin with. I have to shake my head at these manufacturers
Old 08-06-2018, 11:33 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcGruther View Post
With the tanks being visible and right there, why wouldn't it be plumbed like that to begin with. I have to shake my head at these manufacturers
Right? I can't tell you how much better this setup allowed for the black tank to dump and then flush with the Rhino. The cost was really minimal, the new valve was about $30. One piece of 1.5" abs one piece of 3" abs. Already had some abs cement on handle.
Old 08-06-2018, 12:02 PM   #18

Mine is all enclosed so I can't tell which way anything goes or even where the tanks are, so I'm glad there is a black flush on it.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:40 AM   #19

I have the same trailer and was dumping this last weekend and feel between the shutoff and the tank there must be 2 gallons of water (waste) and I know when I dump typically all the "blue" stuff comes out first. I had installed a flusher valve opposite the dump valve which really blasts the paper / stuff out. But might be looking into this.

Do you have the part number for the shutoff valve?
Old 08-08-2018, 01:02 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by legger99 View Post
I have the same trailer and was dumping this last weekend and feel between the shutoff and the tank there must be 2 gallons of water (waste) and I know when I dump typically all the "blue" stuff comes out first. I had installed a flusher valve opposite the dump valve which really blasts the paper / stuff out. But might be looking into this.

Do you have the part number for the shutoff valve?
I purchased this from Amazon

Valterra T18 San Tee Double Rotating Valve - 3" Spigot x 2" Hub x 3" Bayonet Cap https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002N5L9UU..._J9YABbBE28E84

Any waste valve will work. I went with this because of the street elbow for the gray yank coming in. I wanted to tuck as close to the black tank and the frame as possible.

I considered on of those flush sprayers, but watching internal videos of their cleaning ability, I wanted the power of the Rhino. Man, I ran it for one minute in two invertals and the tank was spotless.

Tags
black, drain, tank