Old 09-21-2013, 10:33 PM   #1

Angry Ready to spit nails at Coachmen

We have been using our 340LS for about a week now. On my command center it says grey 1 is full, grey 2 is 1/3. I knew I had two black tanks but not 2 grey. I'm assuming grey 1 covers the primary bathroom, tub and sink and possibly kitchen. I have a second 1/2 bath so I figure grey 2 covers its sink and most likely the kitchen. In my plumbing compartment I have two valve handles, one marked body waste and one marked liquid waste. A pretty safe assumption is body waste is for the black tanks and liquid waste is for the grey tanks, however the way the I seen the coachman manual address other issues one can never be sure. So I make sure both valves are closed. I have two 4" drain pipes extending from body to side of 5th wheel. The rear pipe has a 2" line stubbed in about 1.5 feet from cap so I figure that is where some grey water comes out but I will remove both caps and then open valve momentarily and see where water exits pipes. I'm camped in a big open grass field where a little grey water on ground is not a problem and I have a portable tank to fill with once I know which drain. Start to take off cap one and get water that smells like s**t and so I tighten cap back on. Go to cap two and same thing happens. I look around and behind the rear axle I see two valves that have Valtera on them and by their position they appear to be open. Nothing anywhere in manual nor info from dealer in orientation about a second set of valves for draining tanks. Again I am making assumptions but since Valetera makes waste lines valves I think it is a pretty good guess. So now I'm stuck til Monday to find out exactly what these valves control.

Old 09-22-2013, 06:59 PM   #2

Decided not to wait til Monday. Closed the two rear unknown valves, got some 5 gal buckets and took caps off. Front line had about a 1/2 bucket of liquid and rear line had about 3/4 of a bucket. Placed empty buckets under both lines and partially open liquid waste line in plumbing compartment. Grey water came out front line and nothing out the rear. Filled the portable tank with more grey water from front line and now we can bathe. My assumption now is that in the rear set of valves the left valve is to grey 2 and the right valve is for black 2. Be my luck they are reversed. Left a message with Coachmen and if they don't call back early on Monday I will be calling them.

Old 09-22-2013, 07:24 PM   #3

Your posts reminded me of a conversation my wife and I had when we got our new camper earlier this year. From our experience and from what I Have read here on the forum, there is no such thing as a manual for the exact trailer you get. There are manuals on each individual appliance, radio, TV, stove, microwave, etc, but nothing that covers the exact systems on the model you just bought. Am I totally missing something? We thought that maybe we didn't buy a high end enough trailer to get one but after reading posts like yours and other peoples confusion about how their trailer works we have come to that conclusion.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:39 PM   #4

Evereddie, you are correct they do not supply trailer specific manuals but there are things they could do that would give you hints. Ike this, "if your unit has two black tanks look for another set of valves near the rear of the unit for the second tank". I then have an idea of what look for instead of expecting what is in plumbing compartment to control everything. For what they get for the units they can do a better job
Old 09-22-2013, 07:57 PM   #5

They make a clear elbow for your waste so you can see what comes out. I know it sounds kinda gross but its nice to see when you flush your black tank out until it comes out clean.
kc8lvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc8lvy View Post
They make a clear elbow for your waste so you can see what comes out. I know it sounds kinda gross but its nice to see when you flush your black tank out until it comes out clean.
I don't really care how it looks when it comes out, I just want to know what is coming out so i don't get a face full of waste like I almost got.
Old 09-24-2013, 02:24 PM   #7
daydreaming about camping

I would be more frustrated with the dealer who did not walk you through the entire dumping procedure letting you know exactly which valve goes to which tank. While Coachmen could do a better job of labeling at times, the dealer is supposed to show you these things.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 04:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeplj8 View Post
I would be more frustrated with the dealer who did not walk you through the entire dumping procedure letting you know exactly which valve goes to which tank. While Coachmen could do a better job of labeling at times, the dealer is supposed to show you these things.
we had a 2 hr orientation and the wife and I remember the plumbing compartment review but not anything being said about a 2nd set of valves behind the rear axle. I pretty sure I would have remembered him saying something about having to crawl under trailer to get to them so I don't think the dealer was aware of them. Especially since one valve was fully open and the other partially open. I have noticed their attention to making sure everything was in the position it needed to be so I will give the dealer the benefit of the doubt because of the attention they have placed on making sure other things were in the right position for going down the road.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:46 PM   #9
Professional Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeplj8 View Post
My impression of dealers, and especially sales reps, is that they really don't know all that much about the campers they sell.

2012 F250 Lariat 6.2L Crew Cab FX4
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coachmen