Old 12-08-2015, 09:22 PM   #1

Reason for recent post

Recently I asked if anyone on here had a 2010 Catalina 29RKS. Just thought I would explain why I asked. I have a 2010 Catalina 29RLS which is very close to being the same weight and dimensions as a RKS. My trailer is in the shop having the axles,springs and tires replaced for the second time since it was new. First time was 3 years ago when the trailer was 3 years old. My trailer has a stated weight of 6234# from the factory. Add to that battery, propane and spare and it is about 6380# with no gear. It came with 3500# axles and springs and c rated tires. When the axles and springs failed the first time I thought it was a fluke but now 3 years later, I'm replacing them again. Not a fluke. I wanted to know about the RKS because my sales brochure shows it weighs a few pounds more than my trailer but can carry 1200# more. I have since located a dealer who has a RKS for sale and he says it has 5000# springs. I have contacted Coachmen about how unhappy I am about the situation and basically got no where. Rep said he had arranged for Lippert to sell me some new axles for a discount. Gee, thanks. This is the third Catalina we have owned and it will be the last! Forest River will never again see a dime from me nor anyone I can influence! Sorry so long but frustration is really getting to me.

Old 12-09-2015, 11:23 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

What's your tounge weight?

Old 12-09-2015, 11:49 AM   #3

Tongue weight is right at 1000# loaded and ready to camp. I have weighed the trailer several times both loaded and empty. I have decided, especially after finding out that the RKS has 5000# axles and springs, that Forest River felt that the safety of my family wasn't worth the few dollars the correct axles and springs would have cost them. When the repairs are finished this time I will have spent over $6000 replacing axles,springs and tires total between both times.
Old 12-09-2015, 12:02 PM   #4

Odds of getting that money back selling out right or trading in are going to be slim to none. Hopefully this is the last time for repairs. If it looks like they are failing after this fix I would consider getting rid of it and taking the loss. Thats a lot of money in repairs for the same thing.. Sorry about your issues...
Eastlake, OH
EastlakeRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 12:13 PM   #5

This time I am having 5200# axles with 4400# springs installed. Also going to D rated Maxxis tires. Yeah without a doubt a lose that can never be recovered or even justified. Just into this too far to turn back now. I thought that contacting Forest River and explaining the situation might do some good but just like when they sold it, they really couldn't care. Thanks for your concern.
Old 12-09-2015, 12:58 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by nastyt View Post
Recently I asked if anyone on here had a 2010 Catalina 29RKS. Just thought I would explain why I asked.
The site team just went ahead and deleted this previous post you are referring to. In essence, you would have two threads opened about the same situation. Since there were no replies in the other one, instead of combining it with this one that has replies, we just deleted it.

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 12:58 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I guess I'm not seeing it.
6380 no gear.
3500# per axle X2 7000 lbs
700 lb hitch weight empty.

What did I miss?

Gvwr is 7700# it looks to me like about
1400# of ccc
Old 12-09-2015, 02:13 PM   #8
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
I guess I'm not seeing it.
6380 no gear.
3500# per axle X2 7000 lbs
700 lb hitch weight empty.

What did I miss?

Gvwr is 7700# it looks to me like about
1400# of ccc
I'm not understanding either....

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 03:38 PM   #9

I guess if the trailer is parked then the numbers are just fine. I bought the trailer because it was a travel trailer not a park trailer. I really do not know any other way to explain why 2 sets of springs and axles would last only 3 years each, other than they are basically too light to handle the shocks and dips of the road. And before anyone asks, I don't run over curbs, boulders or any other item. We have traveled 38000 miles with this trailer since new in 2010. So it does have a few miles on it but the truck I pull it with still has the same axles and springs on it.haha
Old 12-09-2015, 03:43 PM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Forest river doesn't make the axles nor springs, they just spec a number.
By specs the axles and springs are right on.
You really can't blame fr for this.