Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2016, 09:18 PM   #21

Not sure if it is the same issue, but last trip out, I picked up the trailer from storage. When I turned on the tank on the far side from the main switch/regulator, a small regulator right off the remote tank started spewing propane from a vent hole. I turned the tank off and ran off the other side tank, but if this had happened when the tank was open and in use, it would have done the same thing you had that morning. In the 30 seconds I had the valve open, it dumped quite a bit of propane.

I ordered a new high pressure regulator (actually 2), but haven't put it on yet. I just brought the trailer home tonight to get ready for a trip to Gatlinburg. The regulator is some of the pre-trip work I need to do.

j

2016 nights camped: 40
2017 nights camped: 16
2017 nights reserved: 30
VizJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 12:01 PM   #22

I, too, am not happy with my Coachmen camper. I purchased a Freedom Express 246RKS in December of last year, and I have had nothing but problems with it since I bought it. Within the first two months after I purchased the camper, and before I even used it, the slide out was leaking. I took the camper back to the dealer who told me the slide out was not sealed properly causing the leak. They resealed it for me and I came to pick it up. That very same day when I dropped the camper off at my campground, I checked the interior before leaving my campsite and discovered the shower door had shattered. Once again, I drove the camper back to the dealer. I was told later by the dealer that the camper had a faulty glass shower door causing it to shatter. Once again, the dealer fixed the glass door and I took the camper back to my campsite. This past weekend, I had yet another issue with the camper. I noticed a burning plastic smell. I opened up the cabinets under the sink and noticed that the smell seemed to be coming from there. Then I noticed I was getting shocked every time I touched a metal part of the camper. Finally, I looked at my surge protecter and it read "reverse polarity". My neighbor helped me test the power at the pedestal at the campground and the polarity was fine there. He tried to unplug the power cord connecting to the camper to test the polarity at that location and noticed smoke coming from the plug plus he could not unplug the cord from the camper. The cord is now fused to the camper outlet! He quickly unplugged the opposite end of that power cord from the campsite pedestal before anything more serious could happen. I now have to take this camper in for the 3rd time in 7 months to get this electrical issue fixed. I sure hope the warranty will cover this issue, but what's going to happen once the warranty wears out?

Also, I will lose out on at least a month's worth of camping since my dealer cannot get me in for an appointment until August 29th. So not only am I paying for a camper I cannot use but I am also paying for a yearly camping spot that I can't use either. I am very unhappy with this camper and don't even want it anymore! How many more things have to go wrong with this camper before I can call it a lemon?
bbrick00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 03:56 PM   #23

Honestly you should be able to the electric is a life threatening problem and the shower door glass also could cause serious harm by cutting you and infection. I know in Ohio you could do a lemon law specially they say loss of camping refund or paying to not use campsite look your state law up and get a free consultation. Viz it actually leaking from tank and regulator very dangerous
Old 07-29-2016, 08:40 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex.mcintosh40 View Post
Viz it actually leaking from tank and regulator very dangerous
That's nuts. I would guess some serious pressure to take out two things. My regulator was an easy fix. I wouldn't know where to start on yours.

Keep us updated as this plays out.

j

2016 nights camped: 40
2017 nights camped: 16
2017 nights reserved: 30
VizJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 02:39 AM   #25

We bought a 2015 Coachman Freedom Express Liberty Edition 292 BHDS and had a great time camping (only 8 times) and then things started to fail, the AC freezes, fabric threads are pulling apart on the sofa and dinette, the cable on the black tank failed partially open (yuck) upon investigation found the cable was installed in a figure 8 pattern, the slide out leaves black stains on the carpet, there is a LARGE amount of debris left in the under belly from manufacturing, the wiring is poorly installed, the propane hoses are sloppily installed along the under belly...l am losing interest in Coachman we bought it because we thought it was a quality product. We would like for the Forest River company to remedy our problems...we're waiting!
mrweglarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 08:27 AM   #26

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1469885032.017448.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	252.8 KB
ID:	115817
So here is a pic of our camper receptacle. We are very lucky to have a certified electrician at our campground. He removed the receptacle while the power cord was still attached. He stated that the black wire was loose causing excessive heat. This caused the plastic smell, the smoke coming from the receptacle, and me getting shocked when I touched anything metal. Our camper could have gone up in flames!! Wish I felt like Coachmen cared.
Old 07-30-2016, 02:52 PM   #27

Wow that's crazy!! I'd really be pissed defiantly be looking up the lemon law in your state forsure
Old 07-30-2016, 03:05 PM   #28

We are going to speak to the dealer when we take it in for repairs & ask if it would qualify as a Lemon. I don't know if I'll feel safe in it again, even after it gets fixed. On a side note, we can't take it in to the dealer until Aug 29th, so we'll be missing out on a month's worth of camping, at least. That really sucks!
Old 07-31-2016, 04:58 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksilvi View Post
I think Ohio has a lemon law for RVs.
You should get a lawyer if they do. These manufacturers need to start having consequences.

2015 Jayco Pinnacle 36fbts
2014 F150 Fx4

This will not fall under the 'lemon' law yet. Campers are stick and tin boxes on wheels and as long as the sDealers and malManufacturers are acting like they are 'helping' the victim er... buyer, then the 'state' has to stay out of this private fleecing. Bend over or sell it at a loss.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 09:52 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex.mcintosh40 View Post
...anybody know who I could talk to about this at coachmen? Thank you
The dealer is the first step for getting issues taken care of.
BobandArlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 09:55 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrweglarz View Post
... there is a LARGE amount of debris left in the under belly from manufacturing, .
All high volume production line RV manufacturers to do that. The assembly line people don't have shop vacs to clean up the messes they make, and the post assembly crews don't clean it up either.
BobandArlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 10:28 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrick00 View Post
He stated that the black wire was loose causing excessive heat.
When you put it back together be sure to coat the tip of the wire in dielectric grease before you put it in the back in the receptacle and tighten it down.
MacGumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 06:09 PM   #33

Well, just traded in my Freedom Express for a Grand Design Imagine TT & couldn't be happier! I am just so disappointed in the quality of our Freedom Express and the lack of concern for the many issues (and camping time lost) that we had in the 7 months we owned the camper. Coachmen really needs to work on their customer support. I will never buy a Coachmen again😠

Tags
coachmen