Old 05-22-2014, 06:13 PM   #1

Replacement tires for Brookstone 360RL?

Had my first blowout (left front) yesterday on I75 south of Cincinnati. Tires on my 360RL are 4 years old but appear in good condition, very little wear. According to the previous owner they have less than 3000 miles total. The previous owner also experienced a blowout (left rear) in 2013, both have occurred on the left side.

Tires are Goodyear ST and are factory stock. Should I go back with factory tires or change to something else? Stick with ST or maybe go to LT?

Camper is 12180 dry weight. Loaded is less than 13500 by calculation. The left side is the heavier loaded side with fridge, oven, microwave and TV.

Open to suggestions and comments.

Nick

Old 05-24-2014, 06:40 PM   #2

After much research and listening to many voices, I ended up replacing my ST's (2011 Brookstone 354ts, about same weight as yours) with Goodyear G614's. They are LT tires and can handle the weight. I never had a blowout with my previous ST's. But we were going on a 4800 mile trip last summer and I just did not want to chance it.

I have never upgraded tires to LT's in the past. But, I never had such a heavy trailer either. No problems so far (where is that dang wood to knock on).

wingedone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 01:54 PM   #3

Pulled the trigger

Wingedone,

I pulled the trigger yesterday for a set of new Goodyear Marathons, identical to the OEM tire. My next trip is middle of July so I'll keep a close eye on speed and double check my weight to make sure I stay under Marathon limits.

Did you have to upgrade wheels to use the LT tires?

Thanks for the info though, I'll definitely keep this in mind.

Nick.
Old 05-25-2014, 04:41 PM   #4

We had a tire failure on our 2013 last weekend. We are original owners and have owned the FW for 12.5 months. We are vacationers and weekenders so our unit is used about 1 ( sometimes 2) weekends a month for about 7-8 months and a 2 week vacation once a year. The belt slipped on our tire and caused a bubble. Thankfully we did not have a blowout. After reading various forums and discussing with friends who are in the tire business, we decided to change to LT's. I received several recommendations for Michelin Ribs XPS but those things are really expensive. We opted for Bridgestone Duravis R250s. They were about $128 less per tire. Most people told me just about any LT tire would be better than running The current ST's but my husband is a fan of both Michelin and Bridgestone (he runs Michelin on his truck and Bridgestone on our employee work trucks) so we looked mainly at those. We placed order Friday and will get installed next week sometime. Here's to hoping we made a good decision...I believe we did.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:11 AM   #5

Decision made good or bad

After hundreds of forum posts and tons of conflicting information I've decided to stick with OEM tires. The GY Marathons have a safety factor when my fiver is loaded to gross specs and since I am under gross by about 15% calculated I'm going to put new Marathons back on.

My intent this summer is weigh each wheel to determine exactly where I am on weight and travel accordingly. Since this coach will be our long term retirement vehicle I'm sure I'll have ample opportunity to change tires as needed. Thanks for all the input.

Nick
Old 05-31-2014, 11:16 AM   #6

Some of the causes of trailer tire failure is under inflation and over weight. Good idea to always check the air pressure in the tires. Also know what the unit weighs. Few bucks at a cat scale with tell all.

This may open up a can of worms, but I'm a firm hater for chinese tires. If you research all the blowouts on RV's most all are chinese manufactured. Now that being said, seems right since most rv companies use them because of cost. Also there is good chinese tires and bad chinese tires. The tires on my unit are chinese, and told they are the better ones. Have no idea how or why they are better, just sometime in the near future they will be replaced with LT tires. I ran Goodyear Wrangler, Kelly Springfield, and Firestone Transforce on my 2000 Prospera and replaced only because they wore down/age. All were LT tires. The Goodyear's were factory original, and although I didn't run many miles on the Firestones before trading it in, felt these were probably the best of the 3. So more than likely that's what's going on the current rig.

Having a blow out on the road can be a pain if not dangerous. Also the possible damage caused by a blow out can be expensive. Prefer to do whatever to keep it from happening.
Kenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 10:13 PM   #7

Not Chinese

I confirmed with Goodyear these were not Made in China, dealer says made in USA. Inflation and loading were not relevant on the original tires, at least two were 2009 manufactured (in China). I think age and probably quality caused my first blowout. We'll see over the next couple of years if I made the right decision.

Nick

Tags
replacement, roo, tire, tires