Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2018, 01:52 PM   #1

Replacing main AC

Hi all, I have a 2016 Chaparral 371mbrb and my main ducted ac unit is a lemon. NOT covered by the bs warranty. So I'm looking to replace it with some of my tax return. Can anyone make any suggestions on where to shop and what to look for? I'd love something that has electric heat if that's an option. Thanks!
Jlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 08:45 AM   #2

I purchased from here with very good results;
https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/...ir-conditioner
Old 01-25-2018, 09:04 AM   #3
Site Team

If the unit is a Dometic AC, you might want to contact them directly as they extended the warranty due to some manufacturing issues with leaks. Other than muscling the unit up and down from the roof, replacing an AC unit is fairly simple. Check out the heat strip before making that option a part of your decision. I had one in my last unit and a better description would be a chill chase but certainly not a heat strip.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 10:10 AM   #4

We got the Dometic with the heat pump option. It really works great even at low outside temperatures. Not sure how the heat strips work. With the heat pump and a cube heater we are all set.
Old 01-25-2018, 09:27 PM   #5

If I had to replace my main AC unit, I'd try for a heat pump model over an electric resistance heat strip. The heat strip I put in our bedroom AC works well, but I don't think it would be nearly enough to heat a ducted system. Make sure you have enough low voltage control wires to run the heat pump, and the correct thermostat.

I also purchased my front AC from PPL.

2015 Coachman Chaparral 360IBL
2012 6.7L Ford F350 SRW
53 nights camped in 2017.
farmncamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 03:27 AM   #6

"Flybob" has a good recommendation. I bought my TT new in February of 2015 and it was understood that the A/C warranty was for two years from date of purchase. Two months after the purchase the Dometic A/C went out. Unit replaced by Dometic approved service man closer than dealer who is 90 miles away. Second unit did better going out two months before end of warranty and was replaced with third A/C unit with less than two months warranty. The third unit went out Memorial Day weekend of 2017. I bought an additional A/C unit, as I have a 31 footer with two slides and the one 15K unit just did not seem enough and installed this new one in the bedroom.This new one would cool the entire camper even being mounted in the front bedroom. I found it odd that the one I purchased has a two year warranty from date of purchase but the replacement units for the original A/C unit did not carry a two year warranty, just the balance of the original warranty. I wrote a letter to Dometic explaining how I had three units, counting the original, fail within actually 20 months but this new one has a two year warranty. I did get a letter back from Dometic stating that the third unit that was installed on my TT does indeed have a two year warranty from the date that the service guy installed it, some date in mid-March 2018. We're waiting on a bit warmer weather for me to take the TT over to him and he will exchange the original third unit. So--I would think that the A/C unit on a 2016 model would still be covered by the original two year warranty. Do give Dometic a call about yours and have your A/C unit's model number, serial number, and SKU number on hand. These numbers can be found by removing the Air Distribution Box, the thingy that is mounted to the ceiling in which the air filter is mounted.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 07:10 AM   #7

There is a 12v mini split system out there. I am trying to find out if a ceiling cassette is made rather than the wall mount
cmysstailights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 11:12 PM   #8

We looked into the "mini-spilt" systems before buying our second Dometic 15K unit. I know someone at a local HVAC business and they sell/install " Misubichi (SP) brand and another brand I can't remember. As soon as I told him my plans of using a mini sysytem he called in their "engineer" who specs out HVAC units and designs duct work. Each them had serious concerns about vibration on the unit itself being attached to an RV (RV) traveling over highways. Bubba, the engineer went back to look up something then brought me printed material on the Misubishi unit stating that the unit could not be mounted anywhere with any vibration problems. Although each of them agreed that it would be one hell of an idea to have a split system in an RV. I'm predicting that we'll see them in RV's within five (5) years

Old 02-05-2018, 11:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlaw View Post
Hi all, I have a 2016 Chaparral 371mbrb and my main ducted ac unit is a lemon. NOT covered by the bs warranty. So I'm looking to replace it with some of my tax return. Can anyone make any suggestions on where to shop and what to look for? I'd love something that has electric heat if that's an option. Thanks!
I replaced mine a couple years ago. 15k dometic with heat pump that works into the mid 30's - cost installed was ~$1500 after sales tax was added.

Mike and JoAnne
Montana Summer / Arizona Winter
2016 Prism 24G /2002 HitchHiker 38LKTG
ACME EZTowing a 2015 Chevy Sonic RS Hatchback
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 11:33 PM   #10

A few questions here.

What part is failing on these units? Is it all the same parts? Compressor? Fan motors? Gas leaks? Is this unit on a seasonal side with the same electric hook up all the time? Possible low voltage? Need a little more info.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 11:37 PM   #11

Mine was about 5 yrs old and had a gas leak. The cost to troubleshoot, put in the sealant that *may* have worked and the cost of the gas (old style) was enough to get me to replace the unit.

Mike and JoAnne
Montana Summer / Arizona Winter
2016 Prism 24G /2002 HitchHiker 38LKTG
ACME EZTowing a 2015 Chevy Sonic RS Hatchback
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 09:57 AM   #12

A little info up front: Purchased new TT in January '15. Dometic warranty was for two years from original date of purchase of the TT. During the first two years I had the Dometic 15K unit replaced twice. Original two year warranty expired January '17. Third Dometic unit went out in May of '17 so we had to purchase a Dometic replacement unit the first week of June '17. That unit keeps my 31 footer with two slides cold-period, the previous units kept it close to comfortable. I called Dometic quite a few times about the failures and finally had someone tell me that they had a "run" of 15K units, made in China, in which the condenser coil did not get a wash after coils were made therefore the flux used in solder joints did not get washed off which leads to premature failure of the soldered joints. I'm familiar with soldering practices and understand that. How many? At that time they did not know but further research taught me that it was in the range of 15,000+ units. Dometic later issued a statement acknowledging that they have a problem but never issued a recall although they knew the dates of manufacture of those units. Now, what about the Dometic unit that failed in May after the warranty had expired? I received a letter from Dometic back in December stating that they will honor the two-year "from date of purchase" (actually date of install) warranty on that third Dometic unit. At this time I'm working with the local guy to get this unit exchanged, he needs one warm day to monitor temps and amp draw for warranty info. So, when we do get this unit changed out my TT will be on it's fifth Dometic 15K A/C unit, four under warranty exchanges and the new one we bought which is under warranty until June of '19. Another note: These type units are not made to be serviced. They are built without ports to check the refrigerant/freon used and/or to put more refrigerant in them. Yes, a port can be added. A good techy can install a port in the low pressure and high pressure line using a soldered in port. Installing a new permanent port will require drawing out the freon, soldering in the port, drawing a vacuum on the system, charging the system with freon and all this will cost about half the price of a new A/C unit. There are "taps" which can be installed in the lines without having to solder them in and I will guarantee you that almost all A/C tech's will tell you that they will leak inside of two years and again all that work will come close to half the cost of a new A/C unit.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:23 AM   #13
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

You didn't mention if you have a second AC? The unit listed is a fairly new large unit. Is it a 30amp or 50amp? There are threads on adding a second unit on 30amp RVs. I would recommend if it's just a cooling issue that you look further into 1) adding a 2nd AC or 2) investigating why its not performing to your expectations. While I thought the fluffy white falling puffs from a near tree were quite exhilarating, after looking into my failing AC I found a 2" barrier of those pos blocking my air flow. Flow restrictions is just a start to find the root cause. However if its not performing then that's another nut to crack. Stay thirsty my friends..
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 11:19 AM   #14

O.K./ so my coffee had not kicked in yet. The A/C unit that I bought and installed in June '17 was a Dometic 15K unit with non-ducted air distribution box (ADB). I installed it in place of the overhead vent in the front bedroom which gives me two Dometic 15K A/C units. That unit will run you out of the room on low. A few weeks later I swapped the locations of the two units placing the new unit in the middle of the TT where the factory original one was, with ducted air, and placed the second replacement unit in the bedroom. The purchased unit in that location has cooled the TT very well on it's own. The second replacement unit, will at it's best, give a 9 degree differential between intake air and conditioned air discharge. I ran a dedicated 10 ga. wire, because I had some handy, for the install of the new unit at the bedroom location. I ran the wiring through the roof, into the over-the-bed cabinets, over to the wardrobe on the driver's side, and down into the front storage compartment. In the storage compartment I placed a 6x6 electrical box so that I could install a 20 amp re-settable circuit breaker for the A/C unit. I installed a male receptacle (a Marinco brand with weather proof cover) on the outside wall. I use a 10 ga. extension cord, plugging the male end into the 110vAC outlet of the CG power pedestal and the female end to the Marinco plug. This gives me a dedicated 110vAC power supply for the A/C. The TT itself is equipped with a 30 amp service. According to the local Dometic authorized guy the weather here has either been too cold or too wet for him to run a good test of the old replacement unit. Hopefully we are to get some 70+ degree days here in the next two weeks and maybe we can get that unit checked out and exchanged for a new unit--again.
Old 02-11-2018, 11:29 AM   #15
Site Team

The failures mechanism on the Dometic units was low freon caused leaks in the plumbing due to manufacturing defects.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote