Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2016, 08:21 AM   #1

Roof repair

Hello,

I have a 2014 Coachman Catalina, bought in August 2015) bunkhouse with two slides (sorry I cannot remember the model number). While camping over Memorial Day weekend, we had a bad storm come through and blew tree branches onto our trailer. At some point, one branch struck our rubber roof and put a hole in it. The hole is less than the diameter of a pencil. I put some lap sealant on the hole when we got home the next day.

We took the trailer to General RV for other repairs and had them look at the roof. They recommended a new roof since they won't guarantee a patch. We haven't even owned the trailer a year and are looking at an insurance claim for a new roof with an estimated cost of $5,000.

Does anyone have any suggestions and/or recommendations about repair versus replace? If repair, what do you recommend? I've seen Eternabond tape a lot but wanted to see what others recommend.

Thank you in advance for all your help and suggestions!

Steve
Cpapkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 08:40 AM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

A hole in the membrane the size of a pencil (provided it didn't do any damage to the actual roof structure) can easily be patched with EternaBond and a little self leveling sealant around the edges of the EternaBond. Less than an hour's worth of work and you are done, instead of days for a roof replacement.

I've see holes 4-5" in diameter patched this way and there were no problems.

For a hole that small, I would be leery of the other problems that might arise from a complete roof replacement unless you are absolutely sure the repair facility knows what they are doing.

Just my 2¢...

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=64
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 08:45 AM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

One other note...

A lot of folks group EternaBond tapes into one product.
There are several types of EternaBond tape.
Be sure to use the correct type for your application.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=64
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 11:33 AM   #4

Thank you. I have faith in my repair shop, but you make a great point about all of the other issues that could arise from an entire replacement.

I will research the correct Eternabond tape and get the correct one.

Thanks again!
Cpapkt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repair, roo, roof, roof repair