Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2014, 03:19 PM   #1

Roof weight limit

Anybody have any idea what a roof weight limit is for a 29dds? This is our 2nd season camping and our 1st as seasonal, the gutters
are clogged up with debris and there are sticks and other junk on the roof. The guy down the road from us gets on his every weekend and uses a blower to clean it off, he looks to be about 5'7 max and about 175lbs. I'm, just let's say bigger than that!
Whatdidigetmyselfinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 07:20 PM   #2

Hire the guy down the street.LOL.Don;t have a clue on the limit.
DaveandSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 07:31 PM   #3

Does your RV have a ladder on it to get on the roof? I believe those ladders are rated to 250lbs. I would think your RV can hold at least that amount. If you are bigger than 250 I would stay off and hire someone.
Old 06-22-2014, 08:36 PM   #4

For what I paid in fees for the spot and all the other nickels and dimes it costs every weekend you'd think roof blowing was included.

No ladder. That's probably a sign to stay off?
Whatdidigetmyselfinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 01:11 AM   #5

We have a Wildwood 24fbs with no ladder and I am quite a bit over 250lbs. and have no issues, yet. Just be very mindful where your feet are when up there. Try to stay away from vent openings and vent pipes, fridge vent, etc.. I X-Chock mine before I get up there just to make it feel more stable. If you wash the roof, be careful as it will be very slippery.
Old 06-23-2014, 02:42 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatdidigetmyselfinto View Post
Anybody have any idea what a roof weight limit is for a 29dds? This is our 2nd season camping and our 1st as seasonal, the gutters
are clogged up with debris and there are sticks and other junk on the roof. The guy down the road from us gets on his every weekend and uses a blower to clean it off, he looks to be about 5'7 max and about 175lbs. I'm, just let's say bigger than that!
THe roof would probably hold you, even through you don't have a latter. yes the latter is rated at 250 lbs. as was stated above. If are going to go on it may I suggest that you lay some plywood around just to help with your weight and you should be fine. That will spread over a bigger area. Don't fall off, it hurts. I put a hook on a pole that fits in the gutter and drag it through to get all the pine needles out. Works good then run some water in them.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 03:54 AM   #7
Plain Old Member

All you have to do is watch one built, with 2-3 or more people stomping around on a roof installing things, and you won't feel so bad about walking up there. I've never seen one you couldn't walk on. Heck I walk on the thin metal roof on my cargo trailer, staying on the roof trusses of course.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 10:58 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatdidigetmyselfinto View Post
Sounds like the little fella has too much time on his hands!!

The dealership assured me that our roof can support me, but never gave a weight limit. At 6'4" and XXX#'s, I'm not so comfortable climbing up there. And ours doesn't have a ladder.... I'll pay someone.....
Rico1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 11:11 AM   #9

I'm about 210 lbs and when I climb on the wall of my flagstaff fiver, I hear creaks and squeeks and I try to tread lightly, if thats possible. The ladder holds me but I wouldn't want to gain any weight for this reason and probably more importantly for other reasons too. I don't make it a practice to climb on the roof.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 11:20 AM   #10
Plain Old Member

I was 230 not that long ago, and I still walked all around on ours. 180 and proud now. It made noises as Rugged Brown mentioned. Definitely could see the plywood move. I just treaded lightly, as I guess I thought if I thought light, and walked light, I'd be lighter. As mentioned earlier, I fealt a LOT more confident in my trips up there after numorous factory trips and tours. I'm yet to see a modern RV that says, don't walk on our roof. You cannot do good maintenance on a roof and it's sealant without getting up there. If you don't do the maintenance, roof warranty won't cover anything should something come up. So, why would any manufacturer say don't walk up there, knowing dang well you have to?
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 11:39 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Brown View Post
I'm about 210 lbs and when I climb on the wall of my flagstaff fiver, I hear creaks and squeeks and I try to tread lightly, if thats possible. The ladder holds me but I wouldn't want to gain any weight for this reason and probably more importantly for other reasons too. I don't make it a practice to climb on the roof.
I like how you climb on the wall and hear creaks and squeeks!!! Please tread lightly on the walls!
mb2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 11:46 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb2011 View Post
I like how you climb on the wall and hear creaks and squeeks!!! Please tread lightly on the walls!
You have to climb the wall to get to the roof. How do you do it?
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, roof, weight