Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2019, 03:20 PM   #1

rubber roof cleaner and protectant

Is there a majority on what cleaner to use on the roof on my 243 coachmen Catalina one piece "vinyl" roof?
Lee Pedrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 04:03 PM   #2
Just as confused as you

Your roof is not vinyl. It is either EPDM rubber (Ethylene Propylene Diene Monomer) or TPO (ThermoPlastic Olefin). Each has their own maintenance guidelines. Also each manufacturer has their own recomendations. Alpha Systems TPO does not recommend any treatment, just washing with Spic'n'Span or Top Job. I use regular Dawn dish soap on my TPO roof and it works fine. See the attached pdf.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf EPDM-TPO_Discovery_Guide.pdf (636.4 KB, 403 views)
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 04:06 PM   #3
Site Team

Should be roof maintenance info sheet, in your owners manual packet.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 04:26 PM   #4

Brand new trailer,, no owners manual. I knew it wasn't ""VINYL"" I just didn't know what to call it at the time. Now I still don't. I'll read your attachment. I know I can just about clean it with common soap and water but I want a good protectant afterwards. The FR dealer had a habit of robbing peter to pay paul, so my manuals are missing. When I saw the trailer It had two bar stools. When I picked it up, they were missing,, so they went and took them out of another trailer.
Old 03-16-2019, 04:38 PM   #5
Site Team

Lee, have you checked the Coachmen website, for downloadable manuals?
I just went there and found all kinds of manuals to download there.
Even for Catalina models.
Also found roof care and maintenance information.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 04:39 PM   #6

You probably have this TPO roof from Alpha Systems...
no protectant necessary claimed by Alpha Systems

watch this maintenance video...

https://youtu.be/it2ZIKs821k

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 05:01 PM   #7

I'll do that!! Thanks!
Old 03-16-2019, 05:08 PM   #8
Just as confused as you

A way to tell the difference between EPDM and TPO is to push lightly with your thumbnail. EPDM will dent with minimum pressure, TPO will not. If you do it with the right amount of pressure the dent will disappear in a few minutes.
Old 03-16-2019, 05:34 PM   #9

Found the site,,,was going to print it out,,its like 80 pages! It did say the roof was Carlise but just said don't use silicone based items'
Old 03-17-2019, 12:17 PM   #10

If you really want to be sure...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
A way to tell the difference between EPDM and TPO is to push lightly with your thumbnail. EPDM will dent with minimum pressure, TPO will not. If you do it with the right amount of pressure the dent will disappear in a few minutes.
If you really want to be sure, take down the inside trim ring for one of the skylights or fans. The roof membrane will be visible where it is tucked into the opening. EPDM is white on the exterior surface, black on the other surface.

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 12:22 PM   #11

"Carlisle" not definitive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Pedrick View Post
Found the site,,,was going to print it out,,its like 80 pages! It did say the roof was Carlise but just said don't use silicone based items'
"Carlisle" is not definitive information. They make both an EPDM product and a TPO product.

Carlisle Syntec is owned by Dicor.

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 12:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Your roof is not vinyl. It is either EPDM rubber (Ethylene Propylene Diene Monomer) or TPO (ThermoPlastic Olefin). Each has their own maintenance guidelines. Also each manufacturer has their own recomendations. Alpha Systems TPO does not recommend any treatment, just washing with Spic'n'Span or Top Job. I use regular Dawn dish soap on my TPO roof and it works fine. See the attached pdf.
X2

2014 Coachmen Brookstone 325RL
2015 Chev Silverado 2500 Diesel.
ottawapaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 09:42 PM   #13
Retired Old Fart

X2 on Dawn. Just keep in mind that Dawn, Simple Green, and other similar products will also strip off your RV wax on the RV sides, so start with the roof and plan on cleaning and re-waxing the sides afterwards. There is really no way to keep the Dawn from running down the sides. Even a spray on touch up wax application would be better than nothing.
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 05:51 AM   #14

I use West & Forget. Saw an ad on TV for this products used to clean house awnings as well as mold on a painted surface. Tried it on the trailer awning and worked like a champ. Knowing that a lot of roof discoloration is mold based, I called the factory and asked if it would work on a rubber RV roof. they said it would. I did and I will never have to crawl up and a slippery rubber roof again. You can get it on Amazon for about $30 for a one gallon bottle. Mixed 5 to 1 with water for 6 gallons of cleaning fluid. Apply with a small two gallon sprayer. It will dry and become activated every time it rains
Old 03-18-2019, 06:35 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo View Post
I use West & Forget. Saw an ad on TV for this products used to clean house awnings as well as mold on a painted surface. Tried it on the trailer awning and worked like a champ. Knowing that a lot of roof discoloration is mold based, I called the factory and asked if it would work on a rubber RV roof. they said it would. I did and I will never have to crawl up and a slippery rubber roof again. You can get it on Amazon for about $30 for a one gallon bottle. Mixed 5 to 1 with water for 6 gallons of cleaning fluid. Apply with a small two gallon sprayer. It will dry and become activated every time it rains

Does
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 12:27 AM   #16
Just as confused as you

I forgot to mention this in my earlier post another way to tell if you have TPO roofing, the TPO surface has an orange peel texture, EPDM surface is smooth.
Old 03-20-2019, 02:57 PM   #17

Quote:
I forgot to mention this in my earlier post another way to tell if you have TPO roofing, the TPO surface has an orange peel texture, EPDM surface is smooth.
Scrapper, you win, I got up there and checked, its TPO,,,,very thin TPO! But It answered my protection question. None needed after washing.
Old 03-20-2019, 03:39 PM   #18

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-40492-W...gateway&sr=8-4

Best stuff I've found. I use it in the spring and the fall and cleans well and helps keep it clean all season. I've never waxed my RV. Just used this twice a year. Works on the roof, walls and awning and removes the grime with one of those soft bristled car wash brushes you hook a hose to. Makes it easy to wash bugs off also if I travel and night and get some gut splatter on the front end.
Old 03-27-2019, 10:37 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo View Post
I use West & Forget. Apply with a small two gallon sprayer. It will dry and become activated every time it rains
I take it that is Wet and Forget, lol. So, you just spray it on and walk away? No scrubbing or rubbing? Hose it off?

Top of our Clipper 17FQ is almost black. Bought it used and it was a semi-permanent set up. I want to clean it good and keep black streaks off the sides and awning.

Please, tell me more.

Thanks!
2011 Kia Soul+ (dinghy)
thewheelman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, roof