Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2014, 07:41 PM   #1

Sanitize the fresh water tank

Heading out a week from tomorrow on our maiden voyage in the new TT. I need to de-winterize and sanitize the fresh water tank. Can I sanitize this weekend, leave the tank empty for a week, and then refill just before we leave next weekend and the tank will still be sanitized? Or is that too long between sanitizing and using? Do I need to wait and sanitize closer to our departure date?
Rico1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 12:58 PM   #2

Great question- I plan on asking the dealer when I pick my freedom express up on Thursday.
stpierre142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 01:19 PM   #3

I would do it now.
I did mine this past week...1st camping trip on the 16th May.
I usually do it once in the spring after de-winterizing and good for the season.
Never had a problem.
Drain all the water back with the low point drains and FWT also.
I install a new water filter,open the valves and shut the by-pass on the HWT and put back the anode.
System ready to go !
Like to see what others have to say on this.
Black
Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 02:32 PM   #4

Next question....

I will have water hookup at the campground. However, when I called the campground, they mentioned that it is well water and we may want to consider coming with the fresh water holding tank on the TT full as it would be better drinking/cooking water than their well water.

So...how does this work? If the fresh water tank is full AND i'm connected to the external water hookup at the campground, which source does the TT use? Do I have the option of drawing from the fresh water tank for the kitchen/bathroom faucets and drawing from the campground water source for toilet/shower? Or does the TT automatically use the campground hookup water source if connected? Or does the TT only draw from the fresh water tank if I've got the water pump turned on?

i'm confused....
Old 05-07-2014, 03:12 PM   #5

If it were me, I'd stop by Walmart or a RV parts store and grab an inexpensive external water filter. They're only about $15 and then can be hooked up prior to your fresh water house at the spigot, to ensure safe clean water.

Sent by me
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 03:23 PM   #6
Commercial Member

If you don't want to use the well water then simply do not hook up your hose to the campground supply. If the water at home is OK (city water) then after you de-winterize, sanitize and drain and do a quick flush to get the bleach water out of all the lines I would fill your holding tank using your good water from home and not contaminate it with unknown well water.
Some well water is just fine but depending on where you live it may smell and taste bad.
We carry a couple gal of grocery store water for drinking but use the holding tank water for washing & flushing toilet.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 03:24 PM   #7

ok. I did purchase a water filter to go on the hose when i bought all the misc stuff when i took delivery. That should be sufficient?
Old 05-07-2014, 03:26 PM   #8

we're only gone 2 nights this first trip...maybe my best best is to stick to the water from home (city water) in the holding tank and only use the campground water (with my water filter on the hose) if we run out, which we shouldn't.....
Old 05-07-2014, 03:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico1971 View Post
Next question....

I will have water hookup at the campground. However, when I called the campground, they mentioned that it is well water and we may want to consider coming with the fresh water holding tank on the TT full as it would be better drinking/cooking water than their well water.

So...how does this work? If the fresh water tank is full AND i'm connected to the external water hookup at the campground, which source does the TT use? Do I have the option of drawing from the fresh water tank for the kitchen/bathroom faucets and drawing from the campground water source for toilet/shower? Or does the TT automatically use the campground hookup water source if connected? Or does the TT only draw from the fresh water tank if I've got the water pump turned on?

i'm confused....
You only get water, from your holding tank, if your pump is on. If hooked up to city water, your pump will not kick on. It will use the city water. You can not isolate different faucets, to do that you'd have to run seperate lines.
Dogbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 03:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico1971 View Post
Heading out a week from tomorrow on our maiden voyage in the new TT. I need to de-winterize and sanitize the fresh water tank. Can I sanitize this weekend, leave the tank empty for a week, and then refill just before we leave next weekend and the tank will still be sanitized? Or is that too long between sanitizing and using? Do I need to wait and sanitize closer to our departure date?
If you are using the well water for just showering or the toilet just turn the pump on then when done turn off.You don,t need the pump on when you are hook up to city water .My wife always take water with us for drinking ,cooking and the dishes
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, tank, water, water tank