Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2016, 11:44 AM   #1

Satellite TV

Good morning all,
I have a 2013 Coachman Catalina. I'm considering the purchase of a satellite t.v. system.
Question, will the wiring need to be modified? Or can I just plug it into one of the 2 existing connection points used for rv park cable systems.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Jim
jpaskell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 12:26 PM   #2

Our 2012 Freedom Expressway only has one TV connection, so I had to modify the trailer TV wallplate. If you have 2 connection points, I would assume one is cable and the other sat, but just guess.
Old 09-12-2016, 04:27 AM   #3
Coachman 312BHDS

I have a DISH sat and internal splitters will prevent at least DISH from working properly. Right now we connect directly through a slide seal.
Old 09-12-2016, 09:29 PM   #4

If your Catalina didn't come with an outside satellite connection, you will need to modify the existing "cable" connection. As said above, if there are splitters between the outside connection and the tv, it will block a Dish or Direct satellite signal. There are satellite specific splitters. My Chaparral came with one to have a satellite cable connection in the living and bedroom, but I doubt they would have put one of those in your Catalina.

Our friends have a new Cherokee TT. He was lucky and discovered the outside "cable" connection went straight to the antenna booster in the wall in the living area. No splitter. He used this wire for his satellite in and fixed up some coax A/B splitters to feed the proper signals to the right places depending on whether he was on park cable or using his satellite. It's fairly straight forward as long as you don't have a splitter between the outside connection and the booster.

Another option is one of these. It is a flat coax cable made to fit inside windows. You will still have coax running from the nearest window to the receiver, but it may be easier than pulling a new coax cable through floors and walls.

j

2016 nights camped: 40
2017 nights camped: 16
2017 nights reserved: 30
VizJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 10:41 AM   #5

My '15 310BHDS has a plate near the tv with two male connections. The top one was labeled "SAT TV" and the bottom was labeled "CABLE TV". The bottom one also has the button to push to turn on the "gain" for the TT antenna. I had used the cable tv connection many times so the g'kids could watch whatever weak channel we could get. Once we were at a park with cable and it worked fine with the button out and the light off. BUT, when I purchased a portable satellite TV system things changed. A friend of mine who has had portable sat tv for years was helping me get mine set up but we could not get a signal to the tv using any of the connections near the tv even when we connected the sat to the "CABLE IN" port on the outside of the TT. We ran a dedicated line from the sat dish to the tv and it worked just fine. I removed the wall plate and there was nothing connected to the back of the "SAT TV" connection. The "CABLE TV" connection had an electronic board on the back of it. I wound up running a new cable line in the TT to connect to the "SAT TV" connection and all is well. Later I learned that the electronic board is some type of splitter that does not allow sat tv signals to pass through and serves as the splitter for the bunk tv. I wound up pulling a new co-ax up into the entertainment center, under the front bed, into the front storage compartment and that is where I put the connection for the sat dish. I intend, I really do, to put a port on the outside of the TT at the storage compartment door soon so I don't have to run the cable from the sat in through the door.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 10:47 AM   #6
Coachman 312BHDS

My 2016 312BHDS was identical to that so originally the dealer asked me as I bought if I would use sat TV. When I said no he replaced the outlet with a single male coax for cable/antenna and a 12v power outlet instead to be useful. I am now replacing that back to the dual male coax plate.

Where did you run your sat coax from? I know one end went to the empty male coax connection for sat. Someone just suggested I might be able to use a satellite splitter on the outside coax line and run a very short piece of coax to the cable splitter (as it originally was) and then also to the sat coax connector on the dual plate to achieve both.
Old 09-16-2016, 11:21 AM   #7
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
I've run 2 RG 6 cable from pin box. 1 goes to inside wall plate for main tv. the other one goes to an outside wall plate under the awning. Then, from the back of trailer, ran 2 more cables, one to inside wall plate, same plate, different connector, and the other one to my outside under the awning wall plate. Then, ran a cable from storage compartment (park cable port from factory for outside TV) to same under the awning wall plate......the reason?....No cables on ground, the King Flex can support 2 receivers, and can watch different channels from the main TV.....also made a removeable mount (for the Flex) for the ladder and for the pin box. Bought a dedicated receiver box off E-Bay to leave in trailer, and if needed, take one from home for the extended trips......with this system, no splitters were required, although I did make up short jumpers for the pin box and the ladder mount. When not using, I use what's called Termination caps on the connectors that are exposed to the elements...and the factory cable/ sat connections still work...
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 11:30 AM   #8
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpaskell View Post
Good morning all,
I have a 2013 Coachman Catalina. I'm considering the purchase of a satellite t.v. system.
Question, will the wiring need to be modified? Or can I just plug it into one of the 2 existing connection points used for rv park cable systems.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Jim
Seems all these units are wired differently. Not only between brands but between like models.

You are just going to have to experiment what works for your particular unit.

Mine had a separate 'sat' input on the outside of the R/V (and another marked cable) that goes to a wall plate marked 'sat' on the inside. I was lucky and mine worked as intended. Others have reported no such luck.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=64
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 11:31 AM   #9

This is how I set mine up in our 2014 FE 233RBS and it works great.
www.tv4rv/wiring.pdf
gagirly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 11:36 AM   #10
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagirly View Post
This is how I set mine up in our 2014 FE 233RBS and it works great.
www.tv4rv/wiring.pdf
Link is incorrect.

Web sites do not end with .pdf

Maybe this????
http://www.tv4rv.com/wiring.pdf

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=64
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 01:47 PM   #11

Yes, that is correct. Thank you!
gagirly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 02:34 PM   #12

Reply to tbln930: First I had to remove one of the panels on one end of the entertainment center to run the new co-ax. The new cable ran from the wall plate down to the floor, then along the back of the bottom of the entertainment center to the mid-point. Then I went through the back of the entertainment center at floor level to the foot of the bed pedestal. Raising the bed I went along the bottom of the inside of the bed pedestal to a point where I drilled through to the front storage area. I then pulled all the slack form the cable and used clamps to secure it along this path. I left about 25' of cable within the storage area. I connect my sat dish cable to the cable in the storage area and this gives me a direct link to the sat receiver. I have read on this forum where people have had problems using the cable installed at the factory for some reason or another. As I stated I am going to install another outside cable port just for the sat tv. No one around here sells these and I have to order but the shipping charges for the $6.00 part is $12.00 so I'm waiting to combine an order.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 02:53 PM   #13

satellite t.v.

Many thanks to all who responded to my message. It sounds to me like it's going to be easier to simply run a new line and be done with it. Neither outside connection has "satellite" written on it.

It's just easier.

Thanks again to all who responded.

Jim
Old 09-16-2016, 03:01 PM   #14

Thurman,
Found all the parts needed on amazon. If you're a prime member shipping is free.

Jim
Old 09-16-2016, 03:07 PM   #15

My Windjammer was wired perfectly for satellite for my purposes. The outside connection terminates on the shelf below my living room TV where a DVR receiver and SWiM power inserter goes, right next to my IRV 66 entertainment system. Then, there's another RG6 cable right next to the other that goes to the bedroom TV receiver at the other end of the trailer. I have that connected to a SWiM splitter and ran RG6 into the storage compartment right under my bedroom TV for the outside TV receiver. Not that I do, but if I wanted, I could watch three different channels on three TVs at the same time.

The Windjammer people were thinking when they wired my trailer for satellite.

Bruce
Old 09-18-2016, 03:58 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpaskell View Post
Thurman,
Found all the parts needed on amazon. If you're a prime member shipping is free.

Jim

Now what would be really awesome is if you posted your mod (with pics, of course). It would be a great resource for the forum. There have been many similar question on this (mine included).
Old 09-18-2016, 04:16 PM   #17
Coachman 312BHDS

It is easy enough to make mine full satellite but it then knocks out the cable use. We have only had one private campground we go to that has cable but I used the satellite anyways because I have the premium movie channels on DISH. I think I will just make it all sat so I don't have to do anything but add a sat splitter.

BTW - I watched sat all weekend outside at Pere Marquette State Park along the Mississippi. ;-)
Old 09-19-2016, 01:28 PM   #18

Below is a response I received today from Gary Grigsby of Coachmen. Hope this response helps others. Sounds like losing the standard t.v. antenna and replacing it a satellite dish. Here is Gary's response.

"The cable in connection on the driver side of the coach is also the satellite in connection. Once you have the satellite in hooded up you will need to remove the power booster and switch the cable in liner onto the satellite post on the plate."

Thanks Gary and to all those who responded

Jim
Old 09-19-2016, 01:50 PM   #19
Coachman 312BHDS

I spoke to them directly as well but you will not be able to use the sat in the rear connection (if you have one like the 312 BHDS) at the same time with another sat receiver unless you use a sat splitter in addition to bypassing the antenna booster.
Old 09-19-2016, 02:35 PM   #20

satellite t.v.

Coachmen did suggest disconnecting the booster and perhaps a new wallplate would be in order. Sure would be nice to have a wiring diagram of this thing. I'll get it worked out if even just running a new RG6 cable and drilling for a new outside connection and wallplate to accomodate.

Thanks for the note.

Jim

Tags
satellite