Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2019, 04:57 PM   #1

Sharp corners on bedroom closets

We have a new Coachman Catalina 283RKS with the queen bedroom in the front. The edges and lower corner of the cabinets are seriously sharp and I知 afraid we might ruin the veneer (or worse) if we happen to hit an arm or hip against one. Any hacks for softening those edges up?
dianeotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 09:35 PM   #2
Retired Old Fart

Aside from trying to match the stain color, be careful if you try sanding or rounding the edges. Not all of the "wood" is actually wood. Some of it is a pressed wood material with a wood grain coating (vinyl?). It look nice and looks like wood, but it's not guaranteed to be solid wood in all the FR trailers. I'm not sure about your specific model though.
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 10:47 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dward51 View Post
Aside from trying to match the stain color, be careful if you try sanding or rounding the edges. Not all of the "wood" is actually wood. Some of it is a pressed wood material with a wood grain coating (vinyl?). It look nice and looks like wood, but it's not guaranteed to be solid wood in all the FR trailers. I'm not sure about your specific model though.

Thanks. We weren稚 going to sand or modify the cabinets because I知 sure it is only press board with a veneer. That痴 is another reason why we are afraid of damaging it. I was thinking maybe someone had glued soft foam or found some plastic edging (like I have in my house kitchen to protect the wall papered edge.
Old 03-18-2019, 11:23 AM   #4

Our TT had a corner on the kitchen cabinet that was starting to show nicks in the vinyl ( it's not veneer) covering and I was able to get a clear piece of acrylic corner trim and run full length and screw in place. The outer edge is radiused and the upper and lower corners could have the sharp edges knocked back if needed. Since its clear you really don't notice it at all Check out hardware home centers for product
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 11:59 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianeotte View Post
We have a new Coachman Catalina 283RKS with the queen bedroom in the front. The edges and lower corner of the cabinets are seriously sharp and I知 afraid we might ruin the veneer (or worse) if we happen to hit an arm or hip against one. Any hacks for softening those edges up?
These are available https://www.walmart.com/ip/2-pack-Ba...ctor/945255332

We used the corner guards for some sharp corners in our 2304KS.

2017 Rockwood 2304KS
2017 F250 Lariat 6.2 4X4 Scab SB
ProPride 3P Hitch
Nights Camped 2016 = 31, 2017 = 59, 2018 = 79, 2019 = 78, 2020 = 50, 2021 = 61. 2022 = 84, 2023 = 68
pppitiful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 12:03 PM   #6

Our dual front bedroom cabinets have sharp edges right next to the bed. Was a danger for young kids on the bed or me getting out of bed in dark. I stapled on some foam pipe insulation (could also use a pool noodle) to act as a bumper.
2008 Toyota Sequoia 2WD
Big Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 12:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff64 View Post
Our TT had a corner on the kitchen cabinet that was starting to show nicks in the vinyl ( it's not veneer) covering and I was able to get a clear piece of acrylic corner trim and run full length and screw in place. The outer edge is radiused and the upper and lower corners could have the sharp edges knocked back if needed. Since its clear you really don't notice it at all Check out hardware home centers for product

That sounds like a good fix. Thank you
Old 03-18-2019, 01:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Check out this thread. I had one solution but ultimately went with poster #10 suggestion and has worked good.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...be-166323.html
2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid
Tigger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 03:50 PM   #9

Quote:
We have a new Coachman Catalina 283RKS with the queen bedroom in the front. The edges and lower corner of the cabinets are seriously sharp and I’m afraid we might ruin the veneer (or worse) if we happen to hit an arm or hip against one. Any hacks for softening those edges up?
Amazon has some clear corner protectors for tables, cabinets, etc. for babies that we used on some sharp corners in our MH. They have a very strong adhesive on them and we haven't had any come off. With them being clear they don't stick out like a sore thumb. I'm not at home now or I'd post a photo.
dr911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 02:18 PM   #10

I did these same foam guards

Quote:
Originally Posted by pppitiful View Post
These are available https://www.walmart.com/ip/2-pack-Ba...ctor/945255332

We used the corner guards for some sharp corners in our 2304KS.
Yes, I use these foam corner and edge guards on my Rockwood 2507S. On the wardrobe corners on each side of the Murphy bed, and the foam edge molding on the bottom edge of the medicine cabinet since I hit my head while brushing my teeth. There's plenty in the package to add it where ever you find hazards in the future too.
Wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 08:11 AM   #11
Misfit Adventures

I have same problem it's great when you wake up and smash your head , yep I'm up now lol . I will be doing mods to ours this week
Misfit011 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, roo