Old 05-28-2019, 06:32 PM   #1

Shower Enclosure Not Being Caulked

The shower surround/enclosure in our 204RD is not caulked around the top of the enclosure, nor is it caulked around the bottom of the enclosure. We mentioned this at the time of the walk-through and were told it was not supposed to be caulked. The wallpaper behind the shower surround is the same wallpaper as on the walls. I even called Coachmen and spoke with a representative who told me he really wasnít sure if it should be caulked or not. Iím wondering if anyone else with a Coachmen trailer with this shower surround/enclosure, particularly a 204RD, has noticed this. If so, have you caulked around it top and bottom, or brought it to the dealerís attention? My concern is the possibility of any open plumbing behind the surround being exposed to water, in the event water runs down the wall behind the surround. Iím not concerned about the wallpaper behind it being exposed to water, only any open plumbing behind the surround. Iíve posted some photos in order for you to see the top and bottom areas of shower surround which demonstrate no caulking was done. Thank you for any comments. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1009.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	205759[IMG]Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1010.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	205760[/IMG]Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1010.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	205763

D321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 07:17 PM   #2

The bottom of the walls go over a lip on the shower pan so not much to worry about there. Not sure about the top having to be caulked.

Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 07:26 PM   #3

In my opinion the bottom can remain open for reasons stated by Wiscampsin however the top should be caulked to stop the condensation during a shower from running down the inside wall and saturating it instead of into the shower. Plumbing behind the surround is not a worry however the wall being wet is. I jus thought of this the wall being damp behind the surround seems like a good place for mold to grow. Just a thought
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 07:29 PM   #4

Mine isn't caulked either and as Wiscampsin mentioned the bottom has a lip that goes up behind the wall pieces so that should be fine. Also, that wallpaper is often waterproof. On some trailers, including my last little Jayco, it didn't even have a plastic surround and just had the wallpaper which I questioned, but Jayco and others said that was common and it was waterproof.

Ray
US Navy Veteran
RandK-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 07:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by D321 View Post
The shower surround/enclosure in our 204RD is not caulked around the top of the enclosure, nor is it caulked around the bottom of the enclosure. We mentioned this at the time of the walk-through and were told it was not supposed to be caulked. The wallpaper behind the shower surround is the same wallpaper as on the walls. I even called Coachmen and spoke with a representative who told me he really wasnít sure if it should be caulked or not. Iím wondering if anyone else with a Coachmen trailer with this shower surround/enclosure, particularly a 204RD, has noticed this. If so, have you caulked around it top and bottom, or brought it to the dealerís attention? My concern is the possibility of any open plumbing behind the surround being exposed to water, in the event water runs down the wall behind the surround. Iím not concerned about the wallpaper behind it being exposed to water, only any open plumbing behind the surround. Iíve posted some photos in order for you to see the top and bottom areas of shower surround which demonstrate no caulking was done. Thank you for any comments. Attachment 205759[IMG]Attachment 205760[/IMG]Attachment 205763
I have similar enclosure in my unit and silicone-ed the entire enclosure . been 4 yrs no issues . don't expect it to be warranty it's not this is the way they come . get used to making things correct yourself and then you know it'll be done right
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 08:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandK-M View Post
Mine isn't caulked either and as Wiscampsin mentioned the bottom has a lip that goes up behind the wall pieces so that should be fine. Also, that wallpaper is often waterproof. On some trailers, including my last little Jayco, it didn't even have a plastic surround and just had the wallpaper which I questioned, but Jayco and others said that was common and it was waterproof.

Ray

Our first trailer had no surround either. We never had any issue with the wallpaper...I always wiped the walls down after showering just to cut down on moisture in the trailer.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
In my opinion the bottom can remain open for reasons stated by Wiscampsin however the top should be caulked to stop the condensation during a shower from running down the inside wall and saturating it instead of into the shower. Plumbing behind the surround is not a worry however the wall being wet is. I jus thought of this the wall being damp behind the surround seems like a good place for mold to grow. Just a thought

Thank you for your comment. I hadnít thought about issue of mold behind the surround. This does need to be addressed further.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:15 PM   #8

my first trailer didn't have a surround either. sounds crazy. I also always wiped down the walls after a shower. lucky is was a starter unit and moved on before long term ware. If not having caulk bothers you go buy a tube.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 06:53 AM   #9

My current trailer is my 4th one and none of them have been caulked at the top or bottom. The bottom makes sense because of the lip as previously mentioned. The top is open to allow some airflow behind the panel which should help keep it dry and prevent any mold. I've never had a problem with it in 20 years. Plus when you think about it, how much water would actually get back there? It's a trailer shower with a small hot water tank (in most cases) so how long and hot of a shower can you take?
Draggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 10:38 AM   #10

Shower Enclosure Not Being Caulked

You are right! We have done our best to be careful in holding the sprayer high enough to keep water from running behind the surround. We didnít want to caulk or do something ourselves to cause a warranty issue, in the event an issue develops. We just werenít sure if the information we received initially on the walk-through was correct. Thank you for your courteous and prompt response. I feel better now!

Tags
caulk, show, shower