Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2016, 12:13 AM   #1

Skylight heat

My '15 310 BHDS has a skylight over the tub/shower. The g'son's thought it was neat as they thought they could see the stars while showering. Not! I have found that this skylight is a tremendous source of heat within the bath area when the weather is hot. After I got the unit I ran an extra small duct over to the bath as it did not have any A/C outlet and that helped a lot. But at times the bath area just gets so hot it's miserable. I run the vent fan a few minutes before anyone plans on taking a shower and that helps some. I had one of those pillow thingys with the foil on one side that was not being used so I taped it over the skylight and that certainly helped a lot. Other than using velcro to keep this pillow in place does anyone else have an idea as to how to keep the hot sun from shining in? NO, black paint on top of the skylight has been ruled out by the boss lady.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 04:15 AM   #2

Search for "skylight" and you'll find several other threads regarding this with lots of answers.

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 04:57 AM   #3

We painted the exterior of ours white. It looks very good from the outside and still lets in some light. AND significantly blocks heats.
Old 08-17-2016, 05:24 AM   #4
Toy-aholic

I traced the outline and cut a piece of dry erase board, attached with Velcro to keep the light out not heat so I can sleep in in the morning. We don't have the heat issue as one of the a/c ducts is right next to the skylight.
Old 08-17-2016, 05:55 AM   #5

I was able to find a piece of expanded polyethylene foam in white that was approx 2" thick. I cut it 1/4" wider and longer than the opening and tapered it inward to follow the profile of the opening. I backed it on the sun side with self adhesive duct wrap(or reflectix) and stuffed it in the opening. I did the same thing for the 3 roof vents. It works. The velcro idea might not stick to polyethylene but another poster was indicating he used screen clips and rotated them to hold the "plug". Since mine are slightly larger than the opening, the compression of the foam holds them in. I was able to easily cut the foam with a sharp pocket knife
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 06:00 AM   #6

Latest Thread

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...-115786-2.html

Krylon Fusion spray paint, three coats, 45 minutes total time...done.
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 07:54 AM   #7

DW cut a piece of dark fabric that is held in place with 8 small strips of velcro around the perimeter of the skylight.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 07:59 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by waiter21 View Post
We painted the exterior of ours white. It looks very good from the outside and still lets in some light. AND significantly blocks heats.
This is what I did. Instead of paint though I used white plasti-kote. That way it "should" peel off if I ever decide I don't like it.
Old 08-18-2016, 02:56 PM   #9

I put some of the solar film on ours.Pulled the inside trim off and put it on the thin plexiglass inside piece.Worked like a charm and really cut the light and the heat down.

2011 Ram Mega Cab 3500 Larimie dually
2016 Chaparral 370FL
DaveandSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 09:23 AM   #10

I wound up using tint film, labeled as "Limousine Black". The parts store guy told me it would be illegal to use it on a car or truck under Georgia's tint law. I told him it was being used on a camper. He then told me that it was not made for an RV. I paid and walked out, no further conversation. The clear, flat plastic piece on top of the trim panel was barely on. They used a double stick foam tape stuff to hold it on and most of it was not sticking. Cleaned the clear piece good, applied the dark film. Then used hot glue to spot glue the clear piece back on. I like this method. Thanks for the tip "DaveandSue".

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 04:12 PM   #11

Hope it works for you as well as ours is.

2011 Ram Mega Cab 3500 Larimie dually
2016 Chaparral 370FL
DaveandSue is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light