Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2019, 07:39 PM   #1

Slide motor location? Freedom Express 257BHS

Hello All,

I'm having a problem with the slide on my 2016 Freedom Express 257BHS.

While packing to return home from a trip today and still plugged into shore power my slide stopped part way in. A few clicks of the switch and it moved again for a few inches. Each time it stopped I would click the switch until it started again. Each time it started it would move the slide a few inches. We played this game until it was fully closed.

Now I'm home and trying to figure out whats wrong and I cant find the motor. My unit has an enclosed underbelly. Is it a safe guess that the motor is up in the underbelly someplace along the track? If so where? I only want to cut a minimal amount to access if that's what I need to do.

I believe it is a Lippert through the frame system. The slide seems to work smoothly if I manually crank it open and closed.

Thanks is advance for any help!
gojeepgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 07:44 PM   #2

be sure your house battery is good before you go crazy like me. My house battery were junk and I looked at every thing else first your house house battery's are the heart of you slide outs believe me look at the easiest first.
cfo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 08:06 PM   #3

I believe the house battery is good. It was fully charged before the trip. Only used to run the fridge during the 5hr drive and the front jack during set up. Three night trip and plugged into 30 amp once leveled to put the slide out.

I was also plugged into shore power so I assumed the slide would be running of that and not the battery?
Old 08-25-2019, 09:07 PM   #4

You should have a hole in the frame and body trim on the opposite side of the trailer from the slide. The motor is directly inside the frame from that point. Here is an example of what it should look like if you have the through the frame slide. May not have a hole in the frame. May have the little piece for the manual crank to attach. In the picture you see that I was measuring how far in the motor would be. Just in case I needed to know later.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190717_100721.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	335.9 KB
ID:	213362  
bigmurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 10:19 PM   #5

Thank you for the visual. Now I have an idea where to look. I do have the hole in the trim with the attachment for the manual crank just beyond the hole. I will need to cut the under-body plastic to access the motor, I just needed a good starting point to do so.

Does anyone think a low battery could be the issue even if I'm plugged into shore power? I thought the power for the slide room motor would be coming from shore power once plugged in but now I'm questioning that. I did run the power jack up and down quite a few times when we arrived before plugging in as the hitch would not release from the ball.

Thanks again for the reply's!
Old 08-25-2019, 10:31 PM   #6

Yes - I think you may have a battery problem, based on what you wrote. Did you check the voltage?
Ram 2500 diesel / FR Surveyor 251rks
debit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 10:36 PM   #7

I will be checking it tomorrow!
Old 08-25-2019, 10:53 PM   #8

Don't just go by the voltage of the battery. Take the battery and have it tested. Most likely that slide unit will draw 20-30 Amps. Your charger is most likely not able to support everything if the battery is boarder line.
FROG Member
FMCA Member #F438633 - Good Sam Life Member
Coachmens Owners Group Member
ResQfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 11:16 PM   #9

The slides on my Freedom Express draw around 7A. The converter should easily be able to provide enough power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResQfrog View Post
Don't just go by the voltage of the battery. Take the battery and have it tested. Most likely that slide unit will draw 20-30 Amps. Your charger is most likely not able to support everything if the battery is boarder line.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 03:42 AM   #10

If you have to cut the underbody stuff make sure you only cut 3 sides of a square in it then you flip the part you cut back up and secure with gorilla tape or something.
Old 08-26-2019, 05:04 AM   #11

Only cut 3 sides of a square. Leave one side facing oncoming traffic as a hinge so it can never catch wind.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 09:05 PM   #12

I tested my battery this morning before work and it was reading 12.46 volts. I haven't had a chance to get it load tested yet.

I guess having a weak or bad battery will cause an issue like mine even though the trailer was plugged into shore power? I honestly thought that the battery wasn't doing anything while the trailer was plugged in.
Old 08-26-2019, 09:45 PM   #13

Was the trailer plugged in when you measured 12.4?
Old 08-26-2019, 10:20 PM   #14

No it was not plugged in when I measured 12.4 this morning.
Old 08-27-2019, 04:34 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by gojeepgo View Post
I tested my battery this morning before work and it was reading 12.46 volts. I haven't had a chance to get it load tested yet.

I guess having a weak or bad battery will cause an issue like mine even though the trailer was plugged into shore power? I honestly thought that the battery wasn't doing anything while the trailer was plugged in.
The battery is running all things 12 volt. Weather plug in or not. The converter is keeping the battery charged. My 5er would run the 12 volt stuff without a battery installed. Some will not I'm told.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 09:42 AM   #16

[QUOTE=gojeepgo;2170752]Hello All,

I'm having a problem with the slide on my 2016 Freedom Express 257BHS.

While packing to return home from a trip today and still plugged into shore power my slide stopped part way in. A few clicks of the switch and it moved again for a few inches. Each time it stopped I would click the switch until it started again. Each time it started it would move the slide a few inches. We played this game until it was fully closed.

Now I'm home and trying to figure out whats wrong and I cant find the motor. My unit has an enclosed underbelly. Is it a safe guess that the motor is up in the underbelly someplace along the track? If so where? I only want to cut a minimal amount to access if that's what I need to do.

I believe it is a Lippert through the frame system. The slide seems to work smoothly if I manually crank it open and closed.

I COULD BE WRONG BUT ISN'T THE MOTOR WHERE YOU PUT IN THE CRANK HANDLE? IF NOT IT WOULD SEEM THAT THE MOTOR WOULD BE ADJACENT TO THAT.
campers302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 07:07 PM   #17

I COULD BE WRONG BUT ISN'T THE MOTOR WHERE YOU PUT IN THE CRANK HANDLE? IF NOT IT WOULD SEEM THAT THE MOTOR WOULD BE ADJACENT TO THAT.

That is the logical place for it but with the enclosed underbelly I cant be sure without cutting into the plastic. Having a definitive answer would prevent cutting unnecessary holes in the underbelly.

I believe the battery is the problem as others have mentioned in earlier replies. I am going to get it load tested now.
Old 08-28-2019, 08:14 PM   #18

**Update

Had my battery load test and was told its bad. I guess now I know the reason for my issue and don't need to cut into the underbelly to test the slide motor.

Thank you all for the advice and thank you Cavie for the explanation. I really did not think the battery would run anything when plugged into shore power.
Old 08-29-2019, 10:05 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfo111 View Post
be sure your house battery is good before you go crazy like me. My house battery were junk and I looked at every thing else first your house house battery's are the heart of you slide outs believe me look at the easiest first.
I did you what you also found I was surprised when you said you ran refrigerator for 5 hour I believe on 12 volts that also will bring a battery down quickly draws a lot to heat a electric coil on the system. But looks like you need not tear apart your system.
cfo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 09:22 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by gojeepgo View Post
**Update

Had my battery load test and was told its bad. I guess now I know the reason for my issue and don't need to cut into the underbelly to test the slide motor.

Thank you all for the advice and thank you Cavie for the explanation. I really did not think the battery would run anything when plugged into shore power.

Sorry for the death of your battery but so very glad you found the answer before cutting into the underbelly.

Happy Camping
campers302 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, freedom, freedom express, location, slide