Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2019, 10:47 PM   #1

Slideout Leaks when Pulling in the Rain

We have a 2017 Coachmen Freedom Express 248 RBS. We really like the features, the easy handling, etc. However, we have had a chronic problem with water leaks around the slideout when pulling in the rain.

WE bought the trailer new in October, 2016. We did not pull in the rain until July, 2017. When we deployed the slideout that night, we found the carpet at the interface of the slideout & floor soaked. The factory & the local dealer's repair shop said the fix was adding a 2nd seal around the slideout. The dealer reportedly added the 2nd seal under the warranty program.

We did not pull in the rain again until July, 2018. As before, the carpet at the slideout interface was soaked. We took the trailer to another repair shop who could not suggest a fix. The factory seemed out of tricks, too. The slideout checked for alignment, etc.

We noticed the trim above the slideout was damaged. We discovered that the slideout, when 1st deployed, "pops up" about a 1/4" & then moves out past the side of the trailer. When pulled in, the slideout "drops" this same 1/4" into it's resting place. Photo attached(I think). This can-can" maneuver seems to be catching the front of the slideout on the trim above the opening.

I took the trailer to another repair shop. They confirmed that the slideout is aligned properly, etc. I had them install an awning/topper over the slideout, mostly to keep trash from falling into the slideout, but with the hope it might limit the water reaching the damaged trim. No luck -- we were caught pulling in a storm 2 weeks ago & had wet carpet again.

Both repair shops offered to replace the damaged trim but it looks to me like the 1st time the slideout is deployed, the trim will get snagged again.

Any similar experiences or suggested fixes? By the way, the extended warranty folks won't deal with trim or seals issues.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Damaged Trim above Slideout.jpg
Views:	1239
Size:	194.3 KB
ID:	206682  
Summer Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 11:12 PM   #2

We had the same thing with a 2004 americamp tt we bought new in 2004. Water only happened when pulling in the rain not camping in the rain. It was coming in the wheel well and dealer fix it with sheet metal in the wheel well.
Greg in michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 01:15 PM   #3

We've been suspicious from the start that the water was from the tires flinging up from the road. We've had that suspicion because the 1st time that we had water inside, we missed most of the rain but caught lots of wet pavement. However, the factory & all three repair shops say that the water can't get in that way.

Thanks for the feedback.
Summer Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 02:07 PM   #4

Ours had wet carpet where the rear of our slide was. After the fix at the dealer it never happened again. Our was like yours. No rain just pulling on wet roads and we got the wet carpet.
Hope you get it fixed soon and enjoy camping
Greg in michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 11:00 AM   #5

U are likely missing a piece of trim that holds the slide wipers closed when the slide is in. Go to the dealer and look at a new trailer to find it.

I had the same problem and my dealer had no clue. I had to show them on one of my other slides. (And a new trailer as well)
2011 Starcraft 392BHUw/Andersen No-Sway

chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 02:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer Travelers View Post
We have a 2017 Coachmen Freedom Express 248 RBS. We really like the features, the easy handling, etc. However, we have had a chronic problem with water leaks around the slideout when pulling in the rain.

WE bought the trailer new in October, 2016. We did not pull in the rain until July, 2017. When we deployed the slideout that night, we found the carpet at the interface of the slideout & floor soaked. The factory & the local dealer's repair shop said the fix was adding a 2nd seal around the slideout. The dealer reportedly added the 2nd seal under the warranty program.

We did not pull in the rain again until July, 2018. As before, the carpet at the slideout interface was soaked. We took the trailer to another repair shop who could not suggest a fix. The factory seemed out of tricks, too. The slideout checked for alignment, etc.

We noticed the trim above the slideout was damaged. We discovered that the slideout, when 1st deployed, "pops up" about a 1/4" & then moves out past the side of the trailer. When pulled in, the slideout "drops" this same 1/4" into it's resting place. Photo attached(I think). This can-can" maneuver seems to be catching the front of the slideout on the trim above the opening.

I took the trailer to another repair shop. They confirmed that the slideout is aligned properly, etc. I had them install an awning/topper over the slideout, mostly to keep trash from falling into the slideout, but with the hope it might limit the water reaching the damaged trim. No luck -- we were caught pulling in a storm 2 weeks ago & had wet carpet again.

Both repair shops offered to replace the damaged trim but it looks to me like the 1st time the slideout is deployed, the trim will get snagged again.

Any similar experiences or suggested fixes? By the way, the extended warranty folks won't deal with trim or seals issues.

Good morning,
Items to check.
Slide room adjustment as we discussed.
Check the bottom seal is making contact with the slide floor.

****** Check if foam blocks are installed as shown in the attachment. ******

OPEN THE ATTACHMENT TO SEE PICTURES.

FOAM BLOCKS ARE THE PROBLEM. MOST LIKELY THEY ARE MISSING IN BOTH CORNORS.
1. WITH YOUR SLIDE OUT CLOSED LOOK BETWEEN THE INTERIOR WALL OF THE TRAILER AND WHAT WOULD BE THE EXTERIOR WALL OF THE SLIDE OUT AND YOU WILL SEE LIGHT IF THESE FOAM BLOCKS ARE NOT IN PLACE

2. FROM THE OUTSIDE WITH THE SLIDE OUT OUT LOOK TO SEE IF THEY ARE THERE, BET NOT.

3. IF YOU ARE HANDY YOU CAN BUY SOME HIGH DENSITY FOAM AND CAREFULLY GLUE IT IN THE CORNERS. SO THAT WHEN THE SLIDE OUT CLOSES IT COMPRESSES AGAINST THE FOAM TO CREATE THE SEAL THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN COMPLETED DURING CONSTRUCTION OR AT LEASE DURING THE QUALITY CONTROL CHECK OR THE PRE-SALE CHECK AT THE DEALER.
IF NOT SO HANDY YOU CAN TAKE IT TO THE DEALER AND IN ABOUT 30 DAYS THEY MAY OR MAY NOT HAVE IT READY.

If you have further questions, please let us know.
S***** B**************
Attached Files
File Type: docx FREEDOM EXPRESS FOAM SEAL(3).docx (217.7 KB, 804 views)
campers302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 04:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer Travelers View Post

We have recently found water on the floor in the area where the leading edge of our "super slide " rests when the slide is retracted. No evidence of water leaking around windows, walls or ceiling vents. This is a new issue on a trailer we've had for 4 years. We find the water when the slide is extended, of course, but it's present regardless of whether the trailer is stored with the slide in or out. We don't get the water when we are in the trailer even during extended heavy rain. This has been perplexing. This very morning it occurred to me to look at the seals around the slide. Our trailer has 2 slides but the problem only occurs on the bigger slide. This morning I noticed that the sealing lip on the top of the big slide is turned toward the interior of the trailer when the slide is extended, but the sealing lip on the small slide protrudes toward the exterior of the trailer. I wonder if water is weeping along the flange on the top of the slide when the slide is retracted and being carried along the roof and down the side wall of the slide when it's retracted.
wjrdmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 06:21 PM   #8

Slide out leaking

We had a similar problem. Called previous owner, he stated that in heavy rain,
it will come in thru the wheel wells. We passed over wet roads behind the storm and had damp carpet.
The inner liner suggested in a previous post was previous owners suggestion as well.

2015 Coachmen Freedom Express 248 RBS
2018 Silverado High Country CC, 4x4, 5.3
Hautean1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 07:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hautean1976 View Post
We had a similar problem. Called previous owner, he stated that in heavy rain,
it will come in thru the wheel wells. We passed over wet roads behind the storm and had damp carpet.
The inner liner suggested in a previous post was previous owners suggestion as well.

2015 Coachmen Freedom Express 248 RBS
2018 Silverado High Country CC, 4x4, 5.3

Damn shame that we as owners would have to put out that kind of money to fix a forrest river product line issue. This issue is not with just one model but with all models. Pay thousands of dollars and have to make repair ourselves.

As I have stated before I will never own another forrest river product again. If they were the last manufacturer and the only one to buy I would just stop camping.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:36 PM   #10
Jayhawker

We have the same problem when driving on wet pavement with our 2018 243RBS Surveyor. Went to a local Forest River dealership that had our same model but a year newer. Here is the fix they came up with from the factory. The picture is the slide out rear corner (extended). Called (06/10/2019) Forest River and talked to Kate Ebbole about them sending me the parts and I will do the install instead of the long wait to get it fixed at the dealer. Waiting to hear back from her.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail.jpeg
Views:	360
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	207002  
Old 06-11-2019, 06:59 PM   #11

This is a chronic problem mine and several other 320BHDS campers. It has two slides on the drivers side and it would soak the carpet under both slides when driving in rain. Bought ours in 2014 and didn’t Actually tow in rain until 2016. I crawled under and looked and the bottom seal didn’t even touch the bottom of the slide. I installed a larger seal and so far so good.
Nosedive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 10:55 AM   #12

We have a 2017 320bhds also. Same exact thing. Dealer installed fenders wells with some fabricated sheet metal. Coachman would not return calls from what the dealer told me. Seems to be working.
gritsgresham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 07:58 PM   #13

I’m very interested in this thread, as we just purchased a 2020 248RBS, and apparently have this same issue , carpet was wet after towing home , during a rain storm,
We were set up for approximately 4 weeks with no leak, and have been home for 5 weeks now with lots of rainy weather and carpet is dry, so the leak only happens when towing.
Have talked to a local dealer, but as I traded out of state, not a lot of help, lesson learned.
I could not open the thread to see pictures of the foam blocks as mentioned
Nwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 08:15 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwins View Post
I’m very interested in this thread, as we just purchased a 2020 248RBS, and apparently have this same issue , carpet was wet after towing home , during a rain storm,
We were set up for approximately 4 weeks with no leak, and have been home for 5 weeks now with lots of rainy weather and carpet is dry, so the leak only happens when towing.
Have talked to a local dealer, but as I traded out of state, not a lot of help, lesson learned.

You may have noticed the fenders installed above you entry, that would be nice if we all had a dealer that nice. Please see attached for the location of the blocks. You can possibly contact FR directly or ask your dealer drop ship then to you, they will most likely have no idea what you are talking about as most dealers would be better at running a bazooka bubble gum store, or you can make them your self..
Old 06-20-2019, 09:58 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
You can use an independent RV shops or mobile RV tech. You just have to get pre-approval from FR and be willing to be reimbursed.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 09:39 AM   #16

Second reply doc did not upload last time

Quote:

You may have noticed the fenders installed above you entry, that would be nice if we all had a dealer that nice. Please see attached for the location of the blocks. You can possibly contact FR directly or ask your dealer drop ship then to you, they will most likely have no idea what you are talking about as most dealers would be better at running a bazooka bubble gum store, or you can make them your self..
Attached Files
File Type: docx FREEDOM EXPRESS FOAM SEAL(3).docx (217.7 KB, 227 views)
Old 07-08-2019, 09:31 AM   #17

I described the parts to the Christy Turner (Coachman Parts) and she said this is what I need.

Part No Item Description Qty Unit Price Ext Price
C01296574 CUP, LH MEDIUM SLIDE OUT CORNER BLACK 1 $9.74 $9.74
C01296575 CUP, RH MEDIUM SLIDE OUT CORNER BLACK 1 $9.74 $9.74
2011 Starcraft 392BHUw/Andersen No-Sway

chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 11:07 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaps2018 View Post
I described the parts to the Christy Turner (Coachman Parts) and she said this is what I need.

Part No Item Description Qty Unit Price Ext Price
C01296574 CUP, LH MEDIUM SLIDE OUT CORNER BLACK 1 $9.74 $9.74
C01296575 CUP, RH MEDIUM SLIDE OUT CORNER BLACK 1 $9.74 $9.74

Insult to injury. So what now, you pay for them + shipping and install them yourself? You and I both know that the dealer should have never let our units leave without these. It is bad enough the factory is doing so much half ass'd work and it seems that the dealers follow in their footsteps. The RV industry looks bad because of a few bad companies. And this company seems to be the top runner. Damn Shame!
Old 07-08-2019, 12:47 PM   #19

Well it looks like I have the same problem with my 2017 Catalina 251 RLS. Picked it up from the dealer after having a leak repaired in the front of the slide (another story) and towed the camper home in a real heavy rain. When I checked the carpet in the camper was wet at the rear corner of the slide. Did a crawl around under the camper and saw that the foam corner blocks are there. Any pictures of the sheet metal inner fenders installed by the dealer would be appreciated. After the fiasco I went through with the leaking slideout I'm leary about any work they perform if I can do it myself. I'm still new here on the forum and will be asking some dumb questions as I go
Eddie2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 12:53 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie2002 View Post
Well it looks like I have the same problem with my 2017 Catalina 251 RLS. Picked it up from the dealer after having a leak repaired in the front of the slide (another story) and towed the camper home in a real heavy rain. When I checked the carpet in the camper was wet at the rear corner of the slide. Did a crawl around under the camper and saw that the foam corner blocks are there. Any pictures of the sheet metal inner fenders installed by the dealer would be appreciated. After the fiasco I went through with the leaking slideout I'm leary about any work they perform if I can do it myself. I'm still new here on the forum and will be asking some dumb questions as I go

You will have to speak with the man that had the liners installed. I know nothing about that fix. Even though you see the corner foam does not mean it is installed correctly. Go into the trailer, close the slide, block as much light from the windows as possible and look for light in the corners the slide out. I bet you will see light still indicating the foam blocks are not installed properly.

Tags
leak, slide