Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2016, 11:40 PM   #1

Stabilizing

I was wondering if anyone with the same trailer (or close to it) have added any aftermarket stabilizers and what their experience was with them. I have seen positive posts for JT strongarm and the other one. I also see people have used additional scissor jacks in the middle.

I have the locking wheel chocks and x chocks. Though I only used one x chock because my other one is damaged.

On my previous trailer I used the locking wheel chocks and 2 x chocks and it was fine. This new trailer is larger and heavier than my last one. Thanks in Advance

Old 04-19-2016, 04:07 AM   #2

I put the steadyfast bars on my 5th. Work great! There are different brands on the market, all doing the same in principle. I chose steadyfast over the others as I liked that they mounted to the frame, heavier built (in my eyes anyway), and only 3 of them as some have a many as 6. Well engineered product, easy to install at home in the driveway (takes an afternoon).
Kenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 06:39 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Love our jt strong arms!

2008 2500hd Duramax
2015 Columbus 320RS
2016 nights camped "0"
2015 nights camped "34"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 08:19 AM   #4

X2 on the JT Strongarms.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 08:21 AM   #5
Always Learning

Love the concept of JTs, but the SteadyFast system is better. Same concept, different implementation.

http://www.learntorv.com/2016/04/pro...abilizers.html
Old 04-19-2016, 08:27 AM   #6

I went with the steady fast system and use 2 X Chocks and my TT is rock solid. I called and talked to the owner of steady fast prior to buying and was impressed. The fit and finish is very high quality. These systems stop the side to side and back and forth movement, frame flexing is stopped or limited by folks adding jacks in front of the axle. Do your research and then go for it you won't be disappointed.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 10:52 AM   #7

Not sure if this is what you are after but I have a similar size FE TT and spent a few months researching how to improve stability, the standard stabilizer jacks that came with TT just didn't do the job. For $29 I got a 4 pack of jack stands Amazon.com: Camco 44560 Olympian Aluminum Stack Jack Stand - 4 pack: Automotive and followed these steps I found in another forum. I tested it last weekend and my camper was rock solid. Basically it removes a good amount of weight from the axles so the wheels are no longer part of the equation. Here is the 'method':

The whole "SECRET" here is in the where and how you put and set these 4 jack stands. You might have to do a little experimenting based on the specifics of your trailer and it's living layout and who uses it. The first secret is to get the support much closer to the suspension points and I have found based on our 31'+ TT that about 4 to 6 ft in front and to the rear of each axle is a good target area. The second just as important step is in how you set these jack stands up. This is where that electric tongue jack is a life saver. You need to start with the trailer about 1" down by the tongue and put the rear jack stand in and "SNUG THEM UP" hand tight. Then you raise the tongue of the trailer about 2" "TONGUE HIGH" and put in the front jack stands and again "SNUG THEM UP" hand tight. Then you lower the tongue till all weight is off and then raise it again to just get a good pressure on it. Some will caution about "tweaking" the frame when putting pressure on these jack stands, but IMO that just is not an issue since we are only now talking about most support being across a span of between 8 and 12 ft and to the close to 30' if trying to support the entire span of the trailer on the existing stabilizer jacks. Also, you're not "LIFTING" the wheels off the ground you just need to get a real good upward force on the frame at those points. I actually measured the force when I dialed in my new system with my Sherline tongue scale and had around 400lbs of force on each jackstand. Now if once you find the best new locations for these jackstands you can remove and discard the old front jacks and depending on how well the overall stability is from movement in the rear of the trailer you might be able to also remove those rear stab jacks or if needed deploy them to just take out the "FRAME FLEX" component from that 10' or so span between your new rear jack stands and the actual rear of the trailer.