Old 07-17-2014, 06:25 PM   #21

I use a Ford Explorer to tow a similarly sized trailer. When we bought it my dealer said "We won't let you pick it up without installing a WDH first". I told them the WDH was most likely not needed just sway control and to give me itemized quotes. They quoted me $750 for a 400 lb Equal-i-zer and $200 for adding a basic sway control. I told them no thanks I could do the work myself and get the equipment for half the price they were charging. With that I told them I would look somewhere else as there was no reason I couldn't tow the trailer home with what I had. All of a sudden they changed their mind about letting us take the trailer with my basic hitch setup.

I ended up installing a 600 lb Equal-i-zer not so much for the weight distribution, although it helps, but for the sway control. Due to the frame size standard sway control bars would require me to use less than the full six bolts to mount it. While I think is would still work effectively I am concerned about liability of not installing per the manufacturer. With the Equal-i-zer I have no such issues. The cost in the end?
1-2 hours installation time and $450 delivered for the hitch.

With your F250 all I would consider is sway control but keep in mind your trailer probably uses a smaller frame box that might not fit so well.

Old 07-17-2014, 07:06 PM   #22
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter155 View Post
Ok guys and gals....I have a 195BH that I pull with and Explorer XLT with mods to the suv for proper towing. I'm still experiencing some sway on the interstate so I am investing in a WDH and a sway bar system. The guy that normally does all my "hitch work" on all my vehicles has quoted me $400 out the door for WDH sway bar and install of the sway bars. Does this sound about right on price?
who told you that you didn't need a WDH and sway control towing that trailer with an Exploder?
as a former Exploder owner, i'll bet that your owner's manual or something stamped on the hitch receiver, would've told you that you probably needed one for towing that trailer, based on its UVW or its hitch weight.

$400 isn't bad for WDH/sway control/install but you don't say what brand/model of WDH.
could be a cheaper chain link WDH with only an old school friction anti-sway bar.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 09:34 PM   #23

I'm not sure on the brand I will look into it. I don't have any problems pulling on rural roads. Its just the Interstate when tractors and bigger vehicles pass.
Old 07-18-2014, 02:35 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter155 View Post
Its just the Interstate when tractors and bigger vehicles pass.
You need sway control.
Old 07-18-2014, 02:58 PM   #25

I'm def getting the sway control. Even though it doesn't squat the back end of the Explorer I'm planning on going ahead and doing the WDH also.
Old 07-18-2014, 03:12 PM   #26

If you are going to go with a WDH I'd consider an Equal-i-zer. I use one and haven't had any problems even when we encountered 25-30 mph crosswinds on the interstate with semi's passing us. As I'm sure you are aware they do make some noise at low speed but I figure hey why not make an entrance.
Old 07-18-2014, 03:32 PM   #27

Ha! Now what does the equalizer do? My old truck was an F-350 so I never used sway bars and all. Everything I pulled was a fifth wheel. I have long since gotten rid of that truck so I am having to learn about all the extras that come along with a standard trailer.
Old 07-18-2014, 03:43 PM   #28

The Equal-i-zer is a WDH with built in sway control. They have two versions the higher end 4 point (or 4 way) sway control and the other with 2 point (or 2 way). I use the 4 point version.

I looked at separate sway controls but as I said above the box frame on my trailer is smaller so I would not be able to mount the sway control plates correctly. It was the need for sway control that drove my decisions. Once I learned that the sway bars would not attach correctly I looked at hitches with built in sway control. The weight distribution was icing on the cake and should help with overall wear and tear.
Old 07-18-2014, 05:25 PM   #29

Awesome. I'll look into that. Thanks!

Tags
sway, trailer