Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2014, 11:04 AM   #1

sway control for small trailer

Hello,
I am about to purchase a Clipper 17BH. The dealer tells me that they will not sell a unit off the lot without sway control for the hitch. It seems to me that such a small unit being pulled by my F250 should not need a $350 sway bar. I've rented a 24' unit in the past that did not have one and I had no issues. Now the 17BH is something like 21'.

Any thoughts on the issue? I tend to think the dealer is just trying to make some extra cash off of me.

If the sway control will truly help then I don't mind at all spending the money. We'll also pull this unit with a new ford explorer with a tow package.

Thanks for any feedback.
Cablet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 11:19 AM   #2

camping world has this Pro Series Friction Sway Control for $40. Pro Series Friction Sway Control - Cequent 83660 - Sway Control - Camping World
Not sure why they want $350.

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 11:20 AM   #3
Mod free 5er

He is blowing smoke, I'd tell him "OK, see ya' around" and leave.

The sway control might be ok on your other TV, but I sure as He-- wouldn't pay that price. Make the jerk throw it in the deal if he wants to sell the unit.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:32 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Breaking this into two questions:

Do I need sway control? Probably. It's at least recommended for most towing unless you're already experienced with recovering from sway just by the trailer brakes.

Do I need to pay the dealer's $350? Hell no! As stated above a sway bar can be had for $40. Even if he's tacking on installation that shouldn't equate to $350. He's ripping you off.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:37 AM   #5

I don't need it for my TV & you have a little bit more truck than I do. I would do a test drive with out it 1st. Just be careful. I had an old farm truck (F150) & it needed sway control while my Tundra didn't. Maybe the Tundra was a bit heavier but it didn't make much sense to me. The F150 was a good truck. It was pretty good pulling wagons in the field for my dad too.

I do think that you will need it for the Explorer. I would test drive it as well but would be taking it at slower speeds (45 mph) before getting on an interstate & an18 wheeler blow by at 70 mph.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:50 AM   #6

Thanks for all of the responses. Some of the terminology is new to me. Here is a picture of what they want to sell me. They also want me to buy what I believe is called an easy lift. This is a light trailer and know I don't need that (if it's the powered lift I'm thinking of).

So it's a bit more than just the sway bar.
Thanks.
Attached Images

Old 07-08-2014, 11:55 AM   #7

Your picture is a weight distributing hitch. It lifts some of the weight from the hitch & rear wheels shifting more to the front wheels so your TV is balanced.

There are others on this forum who can explain this better than I can. This is just a short answer.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:03 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Ahh, well, that's different. That looks like a weight distributing hitch with built in sway control. It's primary purpose is to transfer some weight to the front of the vehicle, trying to keep it as level as it would be unloaded. It's secondary purpose is to help prevent sway.

The alternative is a separate WDH and Sway system. Kind of like this one:

Husky Round Bar Weight Distributing Hitch Package - Husky 30849 - Hitches & Hitch Bars - Camping World

Since you want to occasionally pull with an explorer, I recommend you get some kind of WDH. And since you'll be switching vehicles, you'll need to learn how to adjust the set up for both.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:08 PM   #9
Mod free 5er

Yes, a whole different ball game. I would try to get a little discount and use in on the Explorer and maybe even the truck. It will have to be adjusted differently for both vehicles though.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:13 PM   #10

Ah, ok. They explained it to me as sway control. Thanks for the info. I guess the more I know going into the deal the better off I'll be.

-Cablet
Old 07-08-2014, 12:32 PM   #11

I notice you say your tow vehicle is a F250 if that is so a weight distribution w/sway control is overkill for such a small trailer. So my question is does the dealer know you have a 3/4 ton tow vehicle?

Number of nights camped in 2012 65
Number of nights camped in 2013 82
Number of nights camped in 2014 105!
Number of nights camped in 2015 81
Emptypockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 12:33 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emptypockets View Post
I notice you say your tow vehicle is a F250 if that is so a weight distribution w/sway control is overkill for such a small trailer. So my question is does the dealer know you have a 3/4 ton tow vehicle?
But he also wants to pull it with an explorer, which would need a WDH.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:50 PM   #13

Just a observation...if they are pushing you to buy the Husky Centerline as indicated in your pictures the price is a steal. With that said, I had the Centerline and was not happy with it for a few reasons. Let me know if you want more info about my thoughts.
Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 06:17 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cablet View Post
Ah, ok. They explained it to me as sway control. Thanks for the info. I guess the more I know going into the deal the better off I'll be.

-Cablet
YES, you'll definitely need that WDH with sway control, if you plan on towing it with a unibody Exploder, which only has a towing capacity of 5000lbs. and 500lbs. hitch capacity IF it has the factory tow package.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:12 PM   #15

Find another dealer. Its like the one I was at that they had to inspect my truck and a pdi was 800. I laughed. You have plenty of truck
clutchd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:19 PM   #16
Site Team

everyone please read the OP"s last line:

"We'll also pull this unit with a new ford explorer with a tow package."

he'll need that WDH and sway control if he plans on using the newer downsized unibody Explorer to tow it.

sure, if he was only using the truck, the most he'd need would be a friction anti-sway bar.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 06:07 AM   #17

I think this statement is what is confusing people as he was referring to the truck not the explorer " It seems to me that such a small unit being pulled by my F250 should not need a $350 sway bar" , but I 100% agree that the explorer would need the WDH.

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:27 PM   #18
Wanna be Sir Campsalot

Just bought a Clipper 17FQ back in April.

My wife called and negotiated that the hitch, swaybar, and brake control be included and installed on my truck for no additional cost. It can be done, if they want to sell the camper.

I was told that since the camper has a single axle and is "light" compared to others, the sway bar helps tremendously. The hitch makes the truck sit much better and drive much more securely.

I've not hauled mine without them both.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 07-09-2014, 09:29 PM   #19

This picture appears to be the tell-tale l-brackets of the equalizer or clone type weight distributing antisway hitch. All in one. Not bad price if it's for either but for f-250 it might be more than needed and not easily shared with most explorers that could use it. Sounds good for explorer if it has wd capability.
updhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 04:29 PM   #20

sway control for small trailer

Ok guys and gals....I have a 195BH that I pull with and Explorer XLT with mods to the suv for proper towing. I'm still experiencing some sway on the interstate so I am investing in a WDH and a sway bar system. The guy that normally does all my "hitch work" on all my vehicles has quoted me $400 out the door for WDH sway bar and install of the sway bars. Does this sound about right on price?
Scooter155 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sway, trailer