Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2015, 07:52 PM   #1

Taking delivery soon 246 RKS

Stumbled across this forum and found it interesting and more importantly, helpful. To introduce myself, I've been a camper for close to 50 years now, mostly tent camping until 2009 when I moved to a Viking popup. It was nice to be off the ground. I then progressed to a 2005 Starcraft Hybrid. Again, it was nice to have an indoor toilet and refrigerator. Well, this week, traded the Starcraft and moving to a Freedom Express 246 RKS, taking delivery on Thursday, 14 May. Pretty excited about it, with a regular bed (yeah....yeah...I know the mattress sucks) and more creature comforts. Already planning on the modifications needed such as lift struts for the bed and some additional shelving.

Having towed the Starcraft with a GMC Sierra Z71, 4.8 with the 4.8L, I decided to add a WD hitch along with brake controller. Based on the specs, I'm thinking it'll be an easier tow.

So, here is what I'd like to ask and would appreciate some feedback on. What are your opinions on what a PDI should consist of? Anyone have a check list?
MaineCampingFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 07:35 AM   #2

Just found the PDI list in the library, exactly what I needed.
Old 05-10-2015, 07:42 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum. Good to have you aboard!

Hope that PDI checklist is useful for you. The big things are to have fun with it, taking your time going through your inspection and to do the inspection before taking receipt of the TT.

Have a good one!

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 08:13 PM   #4

Congrats on the new trailer!! I'm sure you'll love it as much as I love mine!

Laura
Old 05-12-2015, 08:55 PM   #5

Ask a lot of questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineCampingFan View Post
Stumbled across this forum and found it interesting and more importantly, helpful. To introduce myself, I've been a camper for close to 50 years now, mostly tent camping until 2009 when I moved to a Viking popup. It was nice to be off the ground. I then progressed to a 2005 Starcraft Hybrid. Again, it was nice to have an indoor toilet and refrigerator. Well, this week, traded the Starcraft and moving to a Freedom Express 246 RKS, taking delivery on Thursday, 14 May. Pretty excited about it, with a regular bed (yeah....yeah...I know the mattress sucks) and more creature comforts. Already planning on the modifications needed such as lift struts for the bed and some additional shelving.

Having towed the Starcraft with a GMC Sierra Z71, 4.8 with the 4.8L, I decided to add a WD hitch along with brake controller. Based on the specs, I'm thinking it'll be an easier tow.

So, here is what I'd like to ask and would appreciate some feedback on. What are your opinions on what a PDI should consist of? Anyone have a check list?
Read as much online as you can about your trailer. When time comes for PDI do not be shy to ask questions about anything you do not understand. Do not be worried about taking to much time. You paid for it. It would be a pain to be on your first trip and not know how something works. If your owners manual is like ones I have had with current and past trailers they don't always give the info you need. Good luck.
Tireguy397 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 09:22 PM   #6
txkreddog

Congratulations on your 246RKS! Glad you got the PDI checklist. We love our 2015 246RKS, Anniversary Edition, and other than the mattress, which we replaced, it's been great. We did have an AC failure, took the TT back to the dealer, and 3 days later got a call to pick it up. Dealer said they had never seen one fail so quickly. The only thing I've found to watch out for so far is the television mounting location in the bedroom. There is a cable connection, an electrical outlet, and a decal saying something to the affect that you can wall-mount a television here. Only problem is the wall is pretty thin, and there is no stud to mount it to. Our PDI guy pointed this out to us, so instead of television, we read an old fashioned book before going to sleep. Check the top of the slide-out before closing, a detail I nearly overlooked. Amazing what can accumulate up there. Happy Camping from Arkansas.
txkreddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 04:36 AM   #7

Congrats on your Freedom Express! We love ours.
On your first time out tighten up all of your water connections under the sinks.
Do this by hand as the plastic can break.
Ours were leaking where the plastic lines met the bottom of the faucet.
I guess they are just not tight enough from the factory sometimes.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:08 AM   #8

Update

Well, the weekend was spent on cleaning...wow, a lot of dust from construction still in the duct work..., transferring stuff and generally becoming oriented. The amount of storage space available when compared to my previous TT is great. I actually have cabinets that are empty still and available storage in the pass thru.

One thing that amazed me and certainly appreciated is the WD hitch. Having not used one in the past, the difference is night and day. Along with the brake controller, its an easier tow and a safer one as well.

PDI went well, the technician from the dealership was good and anxious to answer any and all questions and spend as much time as I wanted.

First trip is the upcoming holiday weekend....a 3 hour drive that includes interstate highway, secondary roads and plenty of hills.

Days camping previous years: Not Enough
Days camping in 2021: Still Not Enough
Old 05-24-2015, 08:20 AM   #9
Gold Miner At Heart

Welcome to the forum.
Old 05-27-2015, 08:31 AM   #10

Update v2 Freedom Express 246 RKS

Thought I would update this thread after having made the first trip with the new TT. All went well actually and a few minor things made their presence known as well as one that I consider a larger one and is a pain in the neck.

First issue...and knew prior to leaving...was a problem with the latch on the microwave which does not release the door on the first attempt. Or second....or third and on. Will go back to dealer for that.

Next, as pointed out in another thread, rear kitchen models are prone to a lot of bounce in the rear. Well, I can confirm that but knowing it, I simply plan around that and with ample storage, the rear over-sink cabinet is empty when on the road.

Finally, and the biggest one, is flushing/emptying of the black tank. One simply does not back flush with the configuration of the dump valve and the configuration of black tank in relation to the toilet. Liquid waste is runs out very fast leaving behind solids. I really need to work out this issue and make it efficient to dump. I would go as far to say the person who designed it and the person who signed off/approval does not have to use it.

I did add a 4 inch memory foam topper before even sleeping in it for the first time and it was well worth the money, having slept better on that than my bed at home.

Want to extend a thank you to all who welcomed me and provided advice.

Old 05-27-2015, 03:49 PM   #11

I realized with my black water tank to leave it open even when it's down to a trickle. It looks like it's done and then all of a sudden another gallon shoots out.
srderby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 03:42 PM   #12

Did you fill the black tank at least 3/4 full before dumping? Can do it by standing on the flusher to fill with fresh water.
2013 RAM 2500 CTD
2018 Prime Time Crusader 319RKT
Loraura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 09:22 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loraura View Post
Did you fill the black tank at least 3/4 full before dumping? Can do it by standing on the flusher to fill with fresh water.
I did. In fact, the tank was nearly full. From where the toilet sets to where it enters the holding tank is not a straight shot, as a result it takes very little waste to remain directly under the toilet and any liquid to drain into the tank.

Based on other threads, seems to be a common problem. Looks like the key is water. Plenty of water.