Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2018, 01:13 PM   #1

Tech. Question

As I was placing an on/off valve on my water tank drain (The blue line); I moved some of the spray foam and viewed a T fitting with another line(blue) running into the main tank line. I know its not a vent since these are all vented from the top fill site so why would there be another drain line connected to the main drain line and where could it possibly go? I spoke to several techs and they all wanted to know what I was smoking and informed me there should be only 1 blue single drain line from the on board water tank without any T fittings? This is a brand new 29 rear kitchen and it said it holds 46 gallons of water although I could only get 36 before the tank was overflowing. Thanks in advance. Please note I am not confusing the water "tank" drain with the low point drains.
jsj248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 01:47 PM   #2

a picture is worth a thousand words of 'explaining' : )
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 04:07 PM   #3

I agree

I have a pict but I do not know how to insert it into this reply. Can you give me a brief lesson on how to insert a pict.
THANK YOU
Old 08-21-2018, 04:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsj248 View Post
As I was placing an on/off valve on my water tank drain (The blue line); I moved some of the spray foam and viewed a T fitting with another line(blue) running into the main tank line. I know its not a vent since these are all vented from the top fill site so why would there be another drain line connected to the main drain line and where could it possibly go? I spoke to several techs and they all wanted to know what I was smoking and informed me there should be only 1 blue single drain line from the on board water tank without any T fittings? This is a brand new 29 rear kitchen and it said it holds 46 gallons of water although I could only get 36 before the tank was overflowing. Thanks in advance. Please note I am not confusing the water "tank" drain with the low point drains.

Could this be the suction line for the freshwater pump?
To attach a picture, click on the reply button under the last post, then click on the paper clip on the top of that window, click browse and follow the prompts.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 04:43 PM   #5

I dont see a pict but maybe you can

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2031.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	307.7 KB
ID:	183988
Old 08-23-2018, 06:02 AM   #6

confirmation

Can anyone confirm that the T fitting off the bottom drain valve actually goes to the pump? I have worked on boats most of my life and we never ran lines off T's in drains. This may be a RV thing which would make sense-I guess. We normally ran a line from the top of the tank with a screened pick up tube. THANK YOU in advance. I can't tell for sure unless I remove all the foam around the lines.
Old 08-23-2018, 06:36 AM   #7

I can't help with the drain but can offer a comment on the tank capacity. FR usually includes the water heater capacity in the total quoted capacity. That would explain at least 6 gallons. The remainder could be water remaining in the tank from a previous filling. Water pick up lines, and sometimes drains, aren't always in the lowest point.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 07:12 AM   #8

Our 2018 Cherokee is set up similar to that, but not as sloppy. The line on the side of the Tee is the intake for the 12V pump and bottom side is the drain for the FW tank. On ours, it has a screw on hose from the pump that I disconnect to hook up a line to suck antifreeze up with. I have a pic, but I'll have to search for it.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 07:18 AM   #9

Found the pic of my set up.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170528_150410.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	184074
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 07:43 AM   #10
Professional Curmudgeon

As the WolfPaq says, the line coming off the drain line is the water pump supply line. If you install your cut-off valve between the 'T' and the water tank, your pump will not get water.
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 09:59 AM   #11

Thank you

I normally would simply disconnect from the pump and trace it back but that would mean ripping apart all the spray foam. I also have a fully enclosed underbelly so I GREATLY appreciate your input. I installed the valve below the T so it will not effect the pump supply. I am amazed at how sloppy they finished things. Just today, I installed 110v outlets in the slide. There were none and I didn't even think to look for them during the PDI. So, being a bit handy is certainly the key to a happy RV life and having this forum to solve problem is fantastic. THANK YOU TO ALL....!!!!