Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2019, 07:25 PM   #1

The quick connect saga

So after much delay and frustration I finally got my propane quick connect done. Initially I was just going to T off the distribution block but couldn't break the connection. Then I was going to run rubber hose from the regulator to the back but no one around carried that size. So I finally decided to run galvanized pipe from the regulator to the back. Here are pics of the installClick image for larger version

Name:	20190413_170847.jpeg
Views:	416
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	201629Click image for larger version

Name:	20190413_170922.jpeg
Views:	460
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	201630Click image for larger version

Name:	20190413_171012.jpeg
Views:	413
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	201631
swampdonkey772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 10:13 PM   #2

Very nice. Looks like a good bit of of work. Did you hook it up your implement of cooking to try it out?

Every time you use it you'll think, yeah, I built this. Nice job.
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 10:14 PM   #3

Galvanized on gas pipe?
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 10:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip12 View Post
Very nice. Looks like a good bit of of work. Did you hook it up your implement of cooking to try it out?

Every time you use it you'll think, yeah, I built this. Nice job.
Yeah i hooked the 17" Blackstone up, gets good and hot. Now just to figure out how to switch my BBQ to low pressure and I'll be all set
Old 04-13-2019, 10:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Galvanized on gas pipe?
Yep that's what the propane guy recommended.
Old 04-13-2019, 10:19 PM   #6

What bbq do you have? I left my Roadtrip at home for the first time in ~20 years and survived pretty well with a 22" Blackstone for a week. Still have some learning to do...
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 10:44 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Should be black pipe. The galvanized pipe will flake and plug jets in the appliance.

Google it, not approved for use due to what I have said above.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 10:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip12 View Post
What bbq do you have? I left my Roadtrip at home for the first time in ~20 years and survived pretty well with a 22" Blackstone for a week. Still have some learning to do...
I don't know the maker, I bought it from Walmart a few years ago. I probably will drop it and rebuild the outdoor kitchen in the next few months. This trip will be a good indication if I drop the BBQ all together. I still have the Treager in the 5er
Old 04-13-2019, 11:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampdonkey772 View Post
Yep that's what the propane guy recommended.
I wouldn't use it. Not allowed and would fail an inspection if used in a home.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 11:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
I wouldn't use it. Not allowed and would fail an inspection if used in a home.
Some places it's not allowed, some places it is. And this is a travel trailer not a home and it's not going to be underground.
Old 04-14-2019, 05:44 AM   #11

Definitely would never use galvanized pipe on gas. Copper or black. If you use black paint all your fittings after install also. If a propane company told you to use galvanized never do business with them again. Sorry.
Old 04-14-2019, 06:24 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampdonkey772 View Post
Some places it's not allowed, some places it is. And this is a travel trailer not a home and it's not going to be underground.
You were given bad information. Galvanized steel pipe is not acceptable for any natural gas or propane installation...anywhere. It makes no difference if it is in a building, an RV, above-ground or below-ground.

You have done a nice job, but you really should think about doing it over using black steel pipe and black malleable iron fittings. If you are worried about the elements rusting the pipe and fittings, paint it with Rustoleum — just like the gas companies do — just like I do when I plan on getting an inspection approved for an exterior gas pipe installation using steel pipe.

I make lots of money correcting gas systems where a home inspector has found galvanized pipe and fittings on systems that were modified by people who didn’t know any better. I have also made money replacing gas control valves on water heaters where flakes of zinc have ruined them. I have taken-apart drip tees/legs at the end of systems where a lot of galvanized pipe and fittings were used and found the drip leg (usually a 6” long nipple) full of oily zinc.

You need to understand that we all know you spent a lot of time and effort to do what you did, and we all know you are proud of your achievement. But you also need to understand that most of us are trying to help you and educate you so you won’t have problems that you weren’t expecting to have. We aren’t being negative or attacking you — we are trying to help you.

Bruce
Old 04-14-2019, 06:33 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
Should be black pipe. The galvanized pipe will flake and plug jets in the appliance.

Google it, not approved for use due to what I have said above.
While I suppose it is possible, I have never seen the zinc get beyond the gas control valve or regulator to the point where it clogs an orifice. I know this is what you hear everybody say and what you read on internet searches, but I have never seen it get this far. The only case I can think of where this might happen is on an appliance that is not regulated; like gas log lighters, gas lamps and other simple appliances like this.

Bruce
Old 04-14-2019, 06:48 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Galv is what factory installed in my 5er as the cross over pipe from tank to tank. Also runs to the rear for the kitchen
On my Windjammer it is all black steel that isn’t painted — all exposed beneath the underbelly — except for the branches to the furnace, water heater and range, which are hose. It was already rusting before I bought it new.

Bruce
Old 04-14-2019, 06:56 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
You were given bad information. Galvanized steel pipe is not acceptable for any natural gas or propane installation...anywhere. It makes no difference if it is in a building, an RV, above-ground or below-ground.

You have done a nice job, but you really should think about doing it over using black steel pipe and black malleable iron fittings. If you are worried about the elements rusting the pipe and fittings, paint it with Rustoleum — just like the gas companies do — just like I do when I plan on getting an inspection approved for an exterior gas pipe installation using steel pipe.

I make lots of money correcting gas systems where a home inspector has found galvanized pipe and fittings on systems that were modified by people who didn’t know any better. I have also made money replacing gas control valves on water heaters where flakes of zinc have ruined them. I have taken-apart drip tees/legs at the end of systems where a lot of galvanized pipe and fittings were used and found the drip leg (usually a 6” long nipple) full of oily zinc.

You need to understand that we all know you spent a lot of time and effort to do what you did, and we all know you are proud of your achievement. But you also need to understand that most of us are trying to help you and educate you so you won’t have problems that you weren’t expecting to have. We aren’t being negative or attacking you — we are trying to help you.

Bruce
Not being negative or attacking you. Just trying to help you.

2009 IRC G2414.4.2 (403.4.2) Steel. Steel and wrought-iron pipe shall
be at least of standard weight (Schedule 40) and shall comply
with one of the following: 1. ASME B 36.10, 10M;
2. ASTM A 53/A 53M; or
3. ASTM A 106.ASTM A53 specification. "Standard Specification for
Pipe, Steel, Black and Hot-Dipped, Zinc-Coated, Welded and
Seamless", section 17, discusses Galvanized Pipe requirements:
Galvanized Pipe 17.1 Galvanized pipe ordered under this specification shall be coated with zinc inside and outside by the hot-dip process. The zinc used for the coating shall be any grade of zinc conforming to Specification B6. ...

It is installed in my 02 Wildcat 5er.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 07:31 AM   #16

Cavie looking at his pictures doesn't that look like rigid conduit? Also my Wildcat is black pipe front to rear.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 08:43 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Not being negative or attacking you. Just trying to help you.

2009 IRC G2414.4.2 (403.4.2) Steel. Steel and wrought-iron pipe shall
be at least of standard weight (Schedule 40) and shall comply
with one of the following: 1. ASME B 36.10, 10M;
2. ASTM A 53/A 53M; or
3. ASTM A 106.ASTM A53 specification. "Standard Specification for
Pipe, Steel, Black and Hot-Dipped, Zinc-Coated, Welded and
Seamless", section 17, discusses Galvanized Pipe requirements:
Galvanized Pipe 17.1 Galvanized pipe ordered under this specification shall be coated with zinc inside and outside by the hot-dip process. The zinc used for the coating shall be any grade of zinc conforming to Specification B6. ...

It is installed in my 02 Wildcat 5er.
I am always open to learning and listening to others’ opinions. Thank you for the references.

I guess I shouldn’t always speak so generally/globally when my experience and knowledge is based on “everywhere” being only everywhere that I know of or have experience with, like in this case.

However, my real-world experiences regarding the problems associated with using galvanized pipe and fittings for gas installations cannot be refuted. I’m not just making this stuff up.

It is good that you took the time to post what you did, and I really do appreciate it. I’m sure everybody else appreciates it, as well.

Bruce
Old 04-14-2019, 09:49 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
I am always open to learning and listening to others’ opinions. Thank you for the references.

I guess I shouldn’t always speak so generally/globally when my experience and knowledge is based on “everywhere” being only everywhere that I know of or have experience with, like in this case.

However, my real-world experiences regarding the problems associated with using galvanized pipe and fittings for gas installations cannot be refuted. I’m not just making this stuff up.

It is good that you took the time to post what you did, and I really do appreciate it. I’m sure everybody else appreciates it, as well.

Bruce
Bruce is your experience on home NG or propane. I only ask because they are 2 different gasses. NFPA 58 states that galvanized pipe can be used. I appreciate the time you took to respond to my post. I love soaking up all the knowledge here
Old 04-14-2019, 11:16 AM   #19

The first place to start would be to look at the relevant code/standard on fuel systems & propane piping for recreational vehicles which is NFPA 1192. It allows "wrought iron" pipe. There is no specific exclusion of the use of galavanized piping and fittings and the piping must meet the requirements of ASTM A53 which includes galvanized pipe. So code-wise specifically on RVs there doesn't seem to be anything that prevents it's use. RV manufacturers don't use it though and there must be a reason.

NFPA 58 covers liquified petroleum gas and isn't specific to RVs like NFPA 1192, so isn't applicable.

If you buy galvanized pipe in a retail store or elsewhere, I have never seen it labelled with the standard it is required to meet (like say PVC pipe or conduit). If no identification on it, who knows what the quality of the galvanizing will be (think offshore made). I do know that galvanized screws under an RV will eventually rust in a few years or less due to a thin plating layer. What will the outside of galvanized pipe look like in a few years?

The use of galvanized piping on gas, water or waste piping in buildings is covered by other regulations and not applicable.

Flaking can and does occur on galvanized piping. It's a reason it shouldn't be used on compressed air systems in shops. Is it destined to flake for certain? Hard to say - maybe, maybe not. I would like to see someone post some good links to something with credible and definitive info. on this.

Since there is some degree of risk of flaking, I think I would replace it. Better to do that then end up with clogged orifices in a propane appliance.
Old 04-14-2019, 11:27 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetonford View Post
Cavie looking at his pictures doesn't that look like rigid conduit? Also my Wildcat is black pipe front to rear.
guess they did this different back in '02
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote