Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2016, 05:14 PM   #1

Thinking of adding 2nd A/C unit

Have a 2015 coachman Liberty express travel trailer, 312 bhds, am thinking need to add 2nd a/c unit as we live in Louisiana , any thoughts of unit to get?? Thanks so much!!
Ladybugg747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 07:06 PM   #2
Coachman 312BHDS

We had one added (mstr bedroom) on our new 2016 312 BHDS Liberty Edition we got two months ago. It was 98 F one very hot day and we needed both with the 50 amp service to hold 75 F at Table Rock lake in southern Missouri. We set it that cool for our new granddaughter. I used just the fan at night.
tbln930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 07:18 PM   #3

Do yourself a favor and get the Attwoods unit.Ten times more quiet than the Dometic. We just had ours changed out in the bedroom.Man is it quiet. Did I mention it's quiet.

No kidding the good thing about Dometic is it cancels out all CG noise.The bad thing is,all you here is the AC.Someone could tear off the front door and you wouldn't hear it.

2011 Ram Mega Cab 3500 Larimie dually
2016 Chaparral 370FL
DaveandSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 07:26 PM   #4
Coachman 312BHDS

I had the dealer add ours. I don't have a clue which one it is. Now I have to go to the storage lot and look since the paperwork is there too. It certainly looks different than the central unit.
tbln930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 07:43 PM   #5

2 A/C units

Seems to me the manufacture should stand good if the A/C unit is to small in a trailer that you bought. I think any trailer over 30 foot should have a second A/C unit. You are paying a lot of money for these units they should stand behind them. If they state it will cool the unit then it should do it seems to me a good layer needs to be contacted on this problem. This seems to be a common problem?
porkchopjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 09:18 AM   #6

My unit: 2015 310BHDS Freedom Express with one A/C. I have often thought about adding a second unit. I live in S. GA. and usually don't go more than 100 miles to camp. But within that area it's hot and humid all the time, except maybe one day in January. There is a 14 x 14 vent over the main bed where a new 13,500 BTU unit would fit nicely. I have installed three (3) replacement units on campers to help friends so the installation of the actual unit would not be the problem. It's how to feed the electrical supply (not there, I've checked) and the wiring for the new thermostat. I own/operate a HandyMan business and at times have had to add additional wiring for projects within homes. But RV walls are a different story. NO room to access the inside of walls from an attic and not the best of access to the inside of walls from below. I have found that on units with the crowned/turtleback/rounded roofs that there is some limited access to the small space between the rafters. I added an extra switch to my bath so that one who is height challenged (grandsons) can control the exhaust fan. I just added a side-by-side switch instead of the single switch for the lighting in the bath. OH, I also added a light above the tub/shower at the request of the boss lady. It's awful dark in that area at night with the shower curtain closed. For the new A/C unit I have considered "wiring raceways" which is basically flat metal or plastic conduit installed on wall surfaces but that looks tacky to me any way it's done. One thing for sure, the new unit will not be a Dometic. I'm on my third 15K unit since buying the TT in January of 15. Dometic may have gotten on top of their problem with their supplier but I am not happy with the way Dometic has handled the failure of the 15K A/C unit problem with the ultimate customer--the owners of these units that have had failures. I feel that it is ridiculous that Dometic will not warranty any new/replacement unit longer than the remaining original two year warranty from date of purchase of the RV.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 09:55 AM   #7

I know this is a couple months old. So is the only way to know if the trailer was prewired is to pull the front bedroom vent trim and look in the ceiling?
d50erock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 10:46 AM   #8

If you're 50 amp,look in the breaker box and see if you have one marked 2nd air. Then look. Our old 2014 Chaparral had a covered box in the ceiling for the wire.
DaveandSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 11:26 AM   #9

OK I'll investigate that this evening. Regardless if I have it or not I will at least know going forward.
d50erock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 11:48 AM   #10

TURBS had a very nice discussion here.....
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...per-90283.html
MartyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 12:12 PM   #11
Coachman 312BHDS

Wow - looks like a lot of work.

MartyQ - I assembled a little CGS Hawk Arrow 2 seater. Flew it about 300 hours before I sold it. No Vans mind you but loads of fun. I was all Pipers and Cessna's before that.