Old 03-23-2019, 12:20 PM   #1

Thinking of buying a 392mbl

Hello all,

We currently have a Sunline T-276SR travel trailer and are looking to upgrade this year to something a bit bigger and more comfortable. I found a used 2018 Coachman 392MBL and we went and looked at it last Saturday. My wife fell in love with it and it looks like this is what we are going to go with. This is a really big purchase for us and I want to be sure that we make the right choice. The key for us if the floorplan. We really want to have the extra bedroom for our son to go with us and have his own private room rather than sleeping in the living room as he does now. We figure we can use it for an office when he goes off to college.

My current tow vehicle is a 2014 RAM 3500 CTD, which I think will be plenty since I only plan to tow it to Maine in the spring and back to Mass in the fall.

Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You
Jeff and Debbie

Old 03-23-2019, 12:35 PM   #2

Am I looking the the correct rig? You're going from a tt to a 14,000lb+ fifth wheeler?

It's a great rig, but from what I found online, your truck is capable of towing 11,000 lbs. You need someone with knowledge greater than mine to advise you if this is a good idea.

2015 Dynamax REV 24TB class C
2nd rig 2006 Toyota Tundra &
2010 Cikira 21RB 19' travel trailer
Reverse_snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 01:05 PM   #3

In my opinion, you should like it and you have enough truck to pull it , that's a 1 ton Ram correct? I didn't look at it online, but if it's a 5er make sure to get a automatic slider, you may never need it until you do then you will say thank you. When we move up to a 5er, from a TT, I said why didn't I do this year's ago. COACHMEN makes a very good unit, much better then FR. And I owned 4 FR and now a Coachmen, tickled pink on my move. They still control production not FR. Tell us how you like it when you pick it up. Also I think a 5er is easier to tow and drive, you will see as soon as you pull away. But do think about the auto slider hitch. It's better to have it and never need it then not to have it. I'm not sure of your truck bed , but if it's not a full size bed get one. Congratulation and safe travels.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 07:45 AM   #4

Yeah, my truck is a 1 Ton with a Cummins. I would think I might want t a dually if I was dragging it all over gods creation but I think my truck should be fine for the ~250 mile each way, once a year, trip that I will be pulling it. I actually can't wait to see how the truck does with it. I like pulling things and this should give it, and me, a good workout.

I am getting a B&W companion slider hitch to go with it since my truck is a short bed. I know it is manual but that is the hitch that I am getting with the trailer so it is what I am going to go with.

I can't wait to get her home so we can start prepping it for this years camping. We are super-psyched and I am getting good feedback on this camper. I know all brands have their issues but I can fix most things up to and including completely re-roofing our current trailer.

I will post pics after we pick her up and i am sure that I will be on the forum asking specific questions once I get a chance to go through the entire unit so I thank you all in advance for any help you can give.

Hoping to be part of the Coachmen community soon.

Jeff
Old 03-24-2019, 07:03 PM   #5

love our Chaparral 392mbl

Hi Jeff.

We upgraded last July from a 33' Jayco TT to our current Coachmen Chaparral 392mbl. My wife and I travel alone... our kids are grown. It's definitely a large rig, but hey once you're over 35' you're basically in the same game. Ours is a 2017... bought used. Have had almost no issues. We tow it with a 2016 Ford F-350 DRW PS 6.7 diesel - 8' bed using a B&W turnoverball with a Reese 20k Gooseneck. Pulls without knowing it's there.

Here are a few additions that we made... 1)Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C Hardwired RV Surge & Electrical Protector - would not plug in without this. 2) Neiko 02282B Drive Thin Wall Flip Impact Socket set 1/2" Chrome Moly Steel - you need these because the tire lugs are set into a bit of a hole of the 392mbl... most standard sockets will not properly seat unless you have thin wall sockets. 3) Sailun ST235/80R16 commercial grade tires 14 ply - really good choice for us. Bought them from SimpleTire.com - great customer focused company... received them 25 hours after I ordered. 4) Anderson RapidJack... used it this week for a flat tire. ... also have the Anderson Levelers - we prefer them to using blocks. Next we plan to pick up two more items... Trailer Legs to use with flats on the trailer and a HD Impact Drill for removing lugs.

I hope you enjoy your new rig. Safe travels. BG
BG19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 04:08 AM   #6
tootall1

Thinking of buying a chaparral 392 mbl

I have a 2018 381 rd. My unit is 41í 9Ē and I tow with a ram 2500 6.7 L,
short bed. The trailer empty from factory weighs 12100 lbs.
The new chaparrals have a new cap on the front that allows you to NOT
have to purchase a long wheelbase trk or a sliding hitch.
I love my purchase and have had only one problem so far. The fireplace is
built into a box and very easy to remove if necessary. My unit kept turning
off and after a lot of frustration I found if I left off the trim ring it allowed more
air movement to blower wheel. Conclusion I drilled holes in the box where I store dvdís and could not be seen and this allowed for more air movement
in the box.
I hope this helps and have a great summer.
tootall1
tootall1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 06:22 AM   #7

Thanks for all the great reply's, keep them coming. Hopefully we will be picking it up in the next couple of weeks and have it up in it's spot before the end of April. Can't wait.

-Jeff
Old 03-27-2019, 07:05 AM   #8

I bought my 392mbl in 2017 new. We LOVE it! Like you, I was looking for a unit that my daughter could have her own room, so her "stuff" wasn't all over the camper during the day, as well as she can have her own room/space at night. the floor plan is perfect for our family. we often comment about how big it feels inside. this is the third rv we've owned, the first two were used (2-3 years old when we purchased them). in my opinion, the used trailers had all the kinks already worked out, so when I got them they were ready to go...no issues. I've been rv'g for about 8 years, and I've heard people comment numerous times that when buying a new rv (any make) that you can expect to have it back in the shop at the dealer to work out all the issues that come with a new rv.….well this was true for me as well. I had to take the camper back to the dealer about 6-7 times over the first 6 months to get things fixed. none of these items were items that prevented us from camping, IE: leaking kitchen faucet, bad switch to bathroom fan, one slide out wasn't sealing when closed (about 1/2" off one on side), stereo system failed and needed a new one, microwave failed and needed a new one, etc. I think because I had read so many reviews from new owners over the years, I expected this to be the case....so I never really got bent out of shape...and my local dealer (Camping World of Concord, NC) was great to work with, never gave me any trouble about fixing these things. So, I would purchase this same unit again.... hope that helps...happy camping!
sdavis392mbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 07:40 AM   #9

@sdavis392mbl - Thanks for the info. We are buying ours slightly used but this gives me things to look for when I do my PDI. I hope this ends up being a great trailer for us and we can use it for at least 10 years.

Have fun with yours this year.

Jeff
Old 03-30-2019, 09:16 AM   #10

Thinking of buying a 392mbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG19 View Post
1)Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C Hardwired RV Surge & Electrical Protector
2) Neiko 02282B Drive Thin Wall Flip Impact Socket set 1/2" Chrome Moly Steel
3) Sailun ST235/80R16 commercial grade tires
4) Anderson RapidJack...

Totally agree on all points.

Canít possibly over emphasize the tires. I am meticulous about tire pressure, also use a TPMS. I had 3 blowouts on the oem constancy tires in the first 8k miles. Lions head reimbursed me $116 each tire but did not pay for the trailer damage.

My additional mods:

-dorm fridge in the basement storage
-Installed Ground control 3.0 auto levelerís
-Upgraded stereo system to this unit ($135 w/camping 20% off coupon when you register on their new website). Itís a huge difference (better Bluetooth and usability, phone app remote). relative to the idrive stereo that came with my rig. Jensen JWM60A AM|FM|DVD|CD|USB|AUX|App Ready Bluetooth Wallmount Stereo with App Control, Plays: CD, CD-R, CD-RW, DVD, DVD+RW, DVD-RW, MP3, DVD-Video, MPEG-4, VCD, JPEG, CD-DA, MP3, WMA, Dolby https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07957QKYY..._9P3NCb8DXKFNM
-2nd spare wheel. Matching Rims at etrailer ($110), BAL ďretract a spareĒ to mount the spare.
-kitchen faucet (mine squeaked). Phoenix PF231461 Single Handle Pulldown Kitchen Faucet, Brushed Nickel https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016EE589I..._GW3NCb1XNAYF9
-kitchen soap dispensers (one for dawn one for hand soap. Wife didnít like the mess associated with the bottles on the counter. HOMEIDEAS 11oz Built In Deck Mount Kitchen Sink Soap Dispenser Lotion Dispenser ABS Pump, Brushed Nickel Finished https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LXIABJ8..._vY3NCbYZKJATW

2011 Starcraft 392BHU w/Andersen No-Sway hitch
chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote