Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2019, 09:12 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZ87 View Post
Hi Everyone,

Well I found out quickly that as a newbie I'm definitely swinging for the fences as it relates to my tow vehicle. I had initially hoped that my 2014 Nissan Pathfinder, with a 5,000 lbs towing capacity and max tongue of 500 lbs would be able to handle a 208BHS, but am learning quickly that is not the case.

My next question, is a 193BHS still too much trailer? I see a couple of posts that suggest the SUV 5,000 towing capacity may struggle once the unit has been loaded for a camp.

Any suggestions, comments are greatly appreciated. Apologize that I'm such a newbie with this, please be gentle.

Cheers.
Towing is something that requires a little bit of math and planning. With the tow vehicle, you must look at the payload sticker that is in the door jam of the vehicle. This will tell you how much weight you can have in the vehicle (people, dogs, bags, tongue weight). Then you need to refer to the owners manual for your exact vehicle for tow weight rating. Advertising will only say the highest rated vehicle. If you have an optioned out vehicle, your rating will be much lower.

Then you need to take into consideration the terrain you plan to tow in. If you are in Texas or Florida on mostly flat ground a small SUV will do. If you plan to head for the mountains a bigger vehicle is a better choice. When you get out on the highway wind becomes a factor. If you are pulling a 5k lbs trailer with a vehicle that weighs 3,500 lbs, you can get into a situation where the tail is wagging the dog.

RV dealers will tell you anything to get you to purchase a trailer. Sure that smart car and tow a 28' trailer! We just need to sell you a stabilizer hitch!!

Personally, I like to have a little more vehicle than I need. I only have one family and not willing to risk them by towing too much.

So, if you are set on using your current Pathfinder, I'd recommend a smaller trailer. If you are set on a bigger trailer, I recommend a larger tow vehicle.

Happy camping.
Hwkscr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 09:14 AM   #62

We tow our 193 BHS with a Honda Pilot.

I wish I had more gears but it really doesn’t struggle much and it tows very smoothly.

That’s fully loaded with kayaks and bikes too.
kfergiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 07:28 AM   #63

Just make sure you're using a good wdh system. I recommend something like the husky ts system that has built-in sway control and have it properly set up. The extra couple of pounds you transfer to the front axles will make towing much more relaxing.
Gerogesin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 08:32 AM   #64

I tow my 193bhs with a 2015 Pathfinder. I would not go to the 208bhs with it. While the Pathy does a fine job (with wife and two kids and bikes) it is at its maximum. I stay right around 100km/h and I cruise along nicely. I certainly feel it and I notice when trucks drive past me, but I never feel not in control. I use a blue ox WDH that is easy to use and helps out immensely but the Pathfinder has a soft rear end and so even with the WDH it sags a little.
I really like the 208 but that will wait until the next Tow Vehicle upgrade.
BlueOx Swaypro WDH
Husky Quest Brake Controller
cityfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 12:31 AM   #65

Hello everyone. This is my first post and I just wanted to share my experience thus far towing our new 193bhs. This is not my first TT. My family and I have been camping with a Sonic 220VBH (26.5',5200 GVWR) for the past few years. My tow vehicle is a '15 GMC Canyon CC/SB. Although it did the job, I always felt it was just a little too much for the truck. Pulling was not a problem, controlling on the highway for long distances was. So, instead of upgrading the truck, we downsized the trailer. Right now it's my wife and I, 9 y/o son, and we have a daughter due at the end of November. We just completed our maiden voyage from Gibsonton, FL to Savanah, Ga. (700 mi round trip) We had a 15mph sustained headwind on the way up and tailwind on the way back. Truck did a fantastic job controlling the trailer in these less than ideal conditions. Yes, I can tell it's back there, but sway is kept to a minimum and push/pull from passing semi's is kept at a much more comfortable level compared to the 26.5' TT we had before. If anyone is thinking of moving from a mid-sized suv, these mid-sized truck offerings are a great fit for this trailer. IMO My previous vehicle was an '07 Santa Fe 3.3L V6 and we've been very satisfied with the change. I use this truck to tow a 5k lb boat/trailer as well without issue. And it fits I my garage too.

2nd Gen GMC Canyon CC/SB
RWD G80
3.6L V6
7000 lb Towing Capacity
1620 lb Payload Capacity
Reese Strait-Line 800 Dual Cam Round Bar w/Sway Control
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190916_191635.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	348.3 KB
ID:	215344   Click image for larger version