Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2018, 12:11 PM   #21

I have looked at quite a few pickup trucks and to be honest to say they've been ridden hard and put away wet is an understatement lol

I started looking at SUV's thinking they may not have had such a hard life and came across a 2007 Ford Explorer Sport Trac. This is the 4.6L V8 version. It has 270,000 Km's but is being sold by the original owner and is in amazing condition. It has a factory Class III/IV hitch which is rated for 7,300 lbs/730lbs weight distribution and 5,000 lbs/500lbs weight carrying. It has the factory tow package but I couldn't see a brake controller so I could pick one up which isn't a major issue.

Just wondering what your thoughts are on this. I know it isn't a full size pickup but it certainly drives and looks very nice and it will fit in my garage lol

Richard
Richdem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 12:34 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richdem View Post
I have looked at quite a few pickup trucks and to be honest to say they've been ridden hard and put away wet is an understatement lol

I started looking at SUV's thinking they may not have had such a hard life and came across a 2007 Ford Explorer Sport Trac. This is the 4.6L V8 version. It has 270,000 Km's but is being sold by the original owner and is in amazing condition. It has a factory Class III/IV hitch which is rated for 7,300 lbs/730lbs weight distribution and 5,000 lbs/500lbs weight carrying. It has the factory tow package but I couldn't see a brake controller so I could pick one up which isn't a major issue.

Just wondering what your thoughts are on this. I know it isn't a full size pickup but it certainly drives and looks very nice and it will fit in my garage lol

Richard
You are looking at the hitch rating, not the vehicle tow rating. Two completely different things.

The MAX tow rating for a V8 Sport Trac is 7,160LB for a 2WD and 6,990LB for a 4WD. That is with a tank of fuel and driver only. As you add people and gear the max tow will drop.

With 270k KMs I don't know how far you are planning on towing, but that's getting up there and the vehicle is also over 10 years old. While it may look in great shape there could be age/mile related issues brewing that haven't been addressed. Is there a full repair and maintenance history? When was the coolant changed? Brake fluid? Trans fluid? Belts and hoses? Maintenance is key for long life and many people will only do the minimum instead of follow what the manufacturer recommends, waiting for problems to show up rather than do preventative maintenance.

The 191 is within the tow limit, but I'd just be cautious buying something that old with that many miles if you're planning on doing any long road trips. Towing will reveal deficiencies pretty quickly.
Old 06-19-2018, 12:54 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDrax View Post
You are looking at the hitch rating, not the vehicle tow rating. Two completely different things.

The MAX tow rating for a V8 Sport Trac is 7,160LB for a 2WD and 6,990LB for a 4WD. That is with a tank of fuel and driver only. As you add people and gear the max tow will drop.

With 270k KMs I don't know how far you are planning on towing, but that's getting up there and the vehicle is also over 10 years old. While it may look in great shape there could be age/mile related issues brewing that haven't been addressed. Is there a full repair and maintenance history? When was the coolant changed? Brake fluid? Trans fluid? Belts and hoses? Maintenance is key for long life and many people will only do the minimum instead of follow what the manufacturer recommends, waiting for problems to show up rather than do preventative maintenance.

The 191 is within the tow limit, but I'd just be cautious buying something that old with that many miles if you're planning on doing any long road trips. Towing will reveal deficiencies pretty quickly.
Thanks for the quick reply,

Everything we looked at within our price range has had similar KM's This is going to be a 3rd vehicle and we intend using it for our weekend camping trips/doing stuff around the house. I do know the seller has used synthetic oil from day one and I will ask about the other items you mentioned.

As a condition of sale I asked if he would drive the truck to my mechanic to put up on his hoist and take a good look at. The owner has no issues with this request. I looked at a 2007 Silverado this morning, in the pictures it looked quite nice but in reality it was really dirty & tired looking and the owner refused point blank to consider letting my mechanic take a look which started ringing the alarm bells in my head lol
Old 06-19-2018, 09:28 PM   #24

Wow. 167,000 miles!
The tow package for these years should have the 7 pin connector on the hitch. There is a connector for a brake controller under the dash, likely same as mine. About half way between the steering wheel and the door. You need an adapter wiring harness from the controller to this connector.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 10:24 AM   #25

2015 Silverado Z71 4x4 crew cab 5.3l. Max rating is 9,200 lbs. We use an Andersen weight distribution sway control hitch. The Andersen doesn't use trunion bars and the sway control is inside of the ball shank.Click image for larger version

Name:	20180616_063450_HDR.jpeg
Views:	192
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	177028Click image for larger version

Name:	3324.jpeg
Views:	122
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	177029
Hwkscr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 06:17 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwkscr View Post
2015 Silverado Z71 4x4 crew cab 5.3l. Max rating is 9,200 lbs. We use an Andersen weight distribution sway control hitch. The Andersen doesn't use trunion bars and the sway control is inside of the ball shank.Attachment 177028Attachment 177029
I think we've decided on a Silverado or Sierra, multiple people have now over the last few days have recommended these trucks.
Old 06-24-2018, 07:53 PM   #27

Pay attention to the rear axle ratio. You do not want 3:08. You don't have to get the factory trailer brake controller, you can add it after market.
Old 06-24-2018, 08:08 PM   #28

Quote:
Pay attention to the rear axle ratio. You do not want 3:08. You don't have to get the factory trailer brake controller, you can add it after market.
We actually have a brake controller that we used on our tent trailer. I found that all I need was a new wiring harness for the next vehicle.

Is there a particular rear axle ratio we should be looking at?
Old 06-24-2018, 08:17 PM   #29

If you are going with a GM (Chevy) I would look for the 5.3 v8 with 3:42 axle ratio. Good full economy for a full size and plenty of pulling power.
Old 06-24-2018, 08:19 PM   #30

Quote:
If you are going with a GM (Chevy) I would look for the 5.3 v8 with 3:42 axle ratio. Good full economy for a full size and plenty of pulling power.
Perfect,

Thanks for your help
Old 06-25-2018, 02:35 AM   #31

Quote:
We actually have a brake controller that we used on our tent trailer. I found that all I need was a new wiring harness for the next vehicle.

Is there a particular rear axle ratio we should be looking at?
You can probably get a plug and play harness on Amazon. That's where I got one for my P3/Silverado. I have the 5.3/3.42 and wish I had the 3.73, but I have mountains to climb.
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 02:50 PM   #32

Quote:
Quick question: What is the reason to stay away from the 3:08 rear axle?

I have found a 5.3L 2004 GMC Sierra that has a full service history, only 2 owners, clean car report and has never been driven through a Canadian winter, just summer/camping use. Also how do I know what the actual axle ratio is?

Regards

Richard
Old 06-27-2018, 03:00 PM   #33

Quote:
Quick question: What is the reason to stay away from the 3:08 rear axle?

I have found a 5.3L 2004 GMC Sierra that has a full service history, only 2 owners, clean car report and has never been driven through a Canadian winter, just summer/camping use. Also how do I know what the actual axle ratio is?

Regards

Richard
The 3.08 (3.08:1, not 3:08) axle is a fuel economy gear ratio and not a towing gear ratio, your tow capacity will be greatly reduced if you buy a truck that has fuel economy gears.

If you want to know what the factory gearing is you can find the axle code on the RPO sticker in the glove box and then look it up on the following page. The page also explains what the sticker looks like and how to find the code.

GM RPO Axle Code List | GM Axle Gear Ratio Lookup
Old 06-27-2018, 03:15 PM   #34

Quote:
The 3.08 (3.08:1, not 3:08) axle is a fuel economy gear ratio and not a towing gear ratio, your tow capacity will be greatly reduced if you buy a truck that has fuel economy gears.

If you want to know what the factory gearing is you can find the axle code on the RPO sticker in the glove box and then look it up on the following page. The page also explains what the sticker looks like and how to find the code.

Thank you,

I will ask the seller to send me a picture of the RPO sticker
Old 06-27-2018, 03:22 PM   #35

Quote:

Best answer ^

Acceleration and towing capability. Less with the 3.08. However if mpg's is what you're looking for, then 3.08.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
Old 06-27-2018, 04:52 PM   #36

Quote:

OK I have a picture of the RPO sticker, this is what I can see

G80 Positraction
GT4 Rear Axle (5X1) 3.73

I also see on the sticker FE9, FK2 & FK3 but I don't see anything in the tables for these values
Old 06-27-2018, 05:12 PM   #37

Quote:
OK I have a picture of the RPO sticker, this is what I can see

G80 Positraction
GT4 Rear Axle (5X1) 3.73

I also see on the sticker FE9, FK2 & FK3 but I don't see anything in the tables for these values
FE9 : CERTIFICATION, EMISSION, FEDERAL
FK2 : ARM, LH, TORSION BAR SPRING ADJ (A)
FK3 : ARM, RH, TORSION BAR SPRING ADJ (B)

The RPO code sticker lists all of the build codes for that truck, it's like a cryptic build sheet. For example, one of the "L" codes will be the engine code, likely LM7 or L59.

You can use RPO Codes.com- GM option codes,GM rpo codes,General Motors options to look up individual codes as well.
Old 06-27-2018, 05:27 PM   #38

Quote:
FE9 : CERTIFICATION, EMISSION, FEDERAL
FK2 : ARM, LH, TORSION BAR SPRING ADJ (A)
FK3 : ARM, RH, TORSION BAR SPRING ADJ (B)

The RPO code sticker lists all of the build codes for that truck, it's like a cryptic build sheet. For example, one of the "L" codes will be the engine code, likely LM7 or L59.

You can use RPO Codes.com- GM option codes,GM rpo codes,General Motors options to look up individual codes as well.
I see,

Thanks so much for your help. The truck looks in fairly decent shape for its age.

I'll probably go take a look

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
Old 06-27-2018, 05:43 PM   #39
Scoundrel

Quote:
I see,

Thanks so much for your help. The truck looks in fairly decent shape for its age.

I'll probably go take a look

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
If the truck does have a 3.73 rear axle then it is much better suited for towing than the 3.08 axle vehicle you were first describing. Also check the payload/cargo number on the drivers door jamb.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 06:09 PM   #40

The listed towing capacity of the 2004 GM short bed with 5.3L engine is going to vary depending on some specifics of the vehicle. If the Silverado is four-wheel drive and has a 3.73:1 axle ratio, the capacity is 7,800 lbs (extended cab) or 8,200 lbs (regular cab); if it is four-wheel drive and has a 4.10:1 axle ratio, the towing capacity is 8,800 lbs (extended cab) or 9,200 lbs (regular cab).

If your Chevy is two-wheel drive and has a 3.42:1 axle ratio, the towing capacity is 7,100 lbs (extended cab) or 7,500 lbs (regular cab); if the truck has a 3.73:1 axle ratio, the capacity is 8,100 lbs (extended cab) or 8,300 lbs (regular cab).*

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Tags
towing