Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2015, 05:34 PM   #1

Trip Report FE 246RKS w/Andersen WDH

I just finished a 16 day camping trip with my Freedom Express 246RKS. It was the first extended camping trip with the trailer and the first with the Andersen WDH.

The first 7 days, I was camped at 7 Feathers RV Resort in Canyonville, OR. There were only 2 days it was less than 100 degrees. I was able to keep the trailer at a consistent 75 degrees the whole stay. Needless to say, I was very impressed with the insulation of the trailer. It also helped that it wasn’t windy and I was able to keep the awning extended which blocked the afternoon sun (the curb side of the trailer was facing south.)

Next I went over to Florence, OR on the coast. Much cooler weather and I was able to give the a/c a break. Stayed on the coast the remaining time and stayed at 2 more rv parks. Having all the big windows was great for my stay at the coast. I was able to open them all and got some much needed fresh air after being closed up tight for 7 days in the heat.

The Andersen hitch was amazing. I don’t think I’ve ever had such a pleasurable towing experience. It was SO easy to hook up and unhook each time I moved to a different park. When I hooked up yesterday, there was a crowd at a 5th wheel across the way and they all turned around so they could watch me hook up the trailer (you know, single woman, 28ft trailer, “this should be good entertainment”) I just ignored them and went about my business. Had the trailer hooked up in about 10 minutes, did my walk around, and drove out of the park. The crowd looked disappointed LOL

It was windy (20+mph cross-winds) yesterday when I came home and I had zero sway. No really, zero. I was driving north on 101 and the wind was coming right off the ocean. The towing setup was so stable and not like any other towing experience I’ve had in the past (this is my 4th trailer). The bouncing is reduced quite a bit and that was really the reason I bought the hitch.

I’m so happy with this trailer and the hitch. In all those days of camping, I didn’t have ONE thing break or not work. I leave for Seattle next Friday for the weekend, and that is one city I’m not looking forward to driving in. I’m going to try to get there about noon so hopefully I’ll miss the worst of the traffic. I’ll let you know if I survive

Happy camping!!!

Laura
Old 07-19-2015, 10:35 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarfan View Post
I just finished a 16 day camping trip with my Freedom Express 246RKS. It was the first extended camping trip with the trailer and the first with the Andersen WDH.

The first 7 days, I was camped at 7 Feathers RV Resort in Canyonville, OR. There were only 2 days it was less than 100 degrees. I was able to keep the trailer at a consistent 75 degrees the whole stay. Needless to say, I was very impressed with the insulation of the trailer. It also helped that it wasn’t windy and I was able to keep the awning extended which blocked the afternoon sun (the curb side of the trailer was facing south.)

Next I went over to Florence, OR on the coast. Much cooler weather and I was able to give the a/c a break. Stayed on the coast the remaining time and stayed at 2 more rv parks. Having all the big windows was great for my stay at the coast. I was able to open them all and got some much needed fresh air after being closed up tight for 7 days in the heat.

The Andersen hitch was amazing. I don’t think I’ve ever had such a pleasurable towing experience. It was SO easy to hook up and unhook each time I moved to a different park. When I hooked up yesterday, there was a crowd at a 5th wheel across the way and they all turned around so they could watch me hook up the trailer (you know, single woman, 28ft trailer, “this should be good entertainment”) I just ignored them and went about my business. Had the trailer hooked up in about 10 minutes, did my walk around, and drove out of the park. The crowd looked disappointed LOL

It was windy (20+mph cross-winds) yesterday when I came home and I had zero sway. No really, zero. I was driving north on 101 and the wind was coming right off the ocean. The towing setup was so stable and not like any other towing experience I’ve had in the past (this is my 4th trailer). The bouncing is reduced quite a bit and that was really the reason I bought the hitch.

I’m so happy with this trailer and the hitch. In all those days of camping, I didn’t have ONE thing break or not work. I leave for Seattle next Friday for the weekend, and that is one city I’m not looking forward to driving in. I’m going to try to get there about noon so hopefully I’ll miss the worst of the traffic. I’ll let you know if I survive

Happy camping!!!

Laura
Glad to hear you had a great trip. Especially glad to hear the good reviews on the Andersen WDH. I have one as well, but have only towed with it once. I also couldn't believe how mine towed as good as my 5er.... Enjoy Washington.
2021 Sabre 37FBT
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 12:47 PM   #3

Good for you Laura! Just did a 7 day trip, single campground with my 246 RKS last week. Like you, I'm please with it overall, although I do have a couple of minor things being addressed which I'll post separately.

Days camping previous years: Not Enough
Days camping in 2021: Still Not Enough
MaineCampingFan is offline   Reply With Quote