Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2016, 06:03 PM   #41

Things aren't even bad yet, but we had a small tornado go through late afternoon. Our electric company is out getting our power back on. The tarp over our TT ripped. Don't take a chance.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 06:33 PM   #42

If I was ever in that situation again I WILL BUG OUT! We were in VA Beach a couple years ago, it was NO FUN, next camp ground over I believe 2 people killed from falling trees. Very stressful night ridin' it out.
Old 09-01-2016, 07:14 PM   #43

The area he WAS in is only getting rain Friday ~~ a good bit but not for days. Winds are only to be 35 with gusts to 45. SO FAR that forecast has not changed. Saturday partly cloudy highs in the high 80s. Rain less than 10%. After hitting land in FL it will not build but be cut down. Main problem in MB could be flooded streets.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 07:16 PM   #44

Small tornado in our town this afternoon too ...thanx Hermine

In relation to this....our TT is in our backyard on a cement slab. Does anyone else fill up your water tanks & have any way to anchor down that baby so she stays put in any larger storm? Our home is ok for these ...went thru all those hurricanes a few years back so we would not leave (per DH ... but I'll probably leave if > cat3!)

Terri & Joe + Boont & Tasha
Camping a long weekend every month or so since May 2013 in our cute 21FBRS MicroLite to practice for retirement while living here in Florida
Joe is retired.... next camper ordered.... getting ready to change this signature really soon!
Life Without Whine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 07:22 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life Without Whine View Post
Small tornado in our town this afternoon too ...thanx Hermine

In relation to this....our TT is in our backyard on a cement slab. Does anyone else fill up your water tanks & have any way to anchor down that baby so she stays put in any larger storm? Our home is ok for these ...went thru all those hurricanes a few years back so we would not leave (per DH ... but I'll probably leave if > cat3!)
Friend had a winter home in FL. We rented a post hole digger and drilled 3'. Filled with cement with 28" long anchors. Bolts from the frame to the anchors to keep it from flipping. Never did and probably never would have.

Like you, I've been through at least a dozen. It will take a cat 3 and will not worry about the 5er as I'm taking it. Going to have to go farto find a hotel..... and all I need is a place to pull off.
Old 09-01-2016, 07:23 PM   #46

27th Jan '16.....tornado came inland at Sarasota, Fl at 03:45 am......Spent 2 hours in a washroom at CG.....Trailer weathered wind and rain (CC 5ER) J
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 07:25 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Halifax View Post
27th Jan '16.....tornado came inland at Sarasota, Fl at 03:45 am......Spent 2 hours in a washroom at CG.....Trailer weathered wind and rain (CC 5ER) J
I was there ~~ at Sun N Fun CG. Stayed in the 5er and slept well. My wife was up as the noise would not permit her to sleep.
Made our reservations to be there this winter before we left.
Old 09-01-2016, 09:20 PM   #48
jammer 16

If your close to the ocean and your tt won't float be sure to send someone info on where to send your remains if they happen to float ashore. The water level of the ocean surging to unbelievable heights is your greatest worry good luck
rlschurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 09:32 PM   #49

If you have wheels go. I've seen the aftermath of tropical storms and hurricanes along the Gulf of Mexico. Move before the roads get clogged and you can't go.
tomrob1161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 10:49 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by K4RGD View Post
Pulled the awning in tonight. Going to make a decision tomorrow around 2. Hate to cut our vacation short, but we value our safety and our little camper too much if there's a chance.

The campground (Ocean Lakes in Myrtle Beach) is practically deserted... compared to its usual summer explosion of people. Folks haven't arrived for Labor Day weekend yet, so lots of empty space. If the campground was full, I'd feel better too (more windbreaks). They have started moving campers onto sites in preparation for people to arrive, but many of the campers that are on sites are empty.

Been talking to a meterologist friend of mine. We're in agreement: we'll watch and constantly re-evaluate. Probably going to head out early, but when is still up in the air.

They said it best years ago: "Blame it on the rain..."

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Hey we are going to stay. We are beside ya in Lakewood. Keep us posted! People are flocking in here today but its no where near full.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
brad2388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 08:20 AM   #51

Next of kin?
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 08:38 AM   #52

There will always be those who take chances, but they are the ones who put a strain on the system when they need rescuing. We had a small tornado go through our place yesterday afternoon and lost power. They repaired it, but we lost it again at 1:43 am and it is still out. We lost the big tarp over our TT, but the metal frame stayed fine. If you were camping on our eleven acres your trailer would have been pummeled with debris. We are hoping to go camping tonight as long as the power comes back on. Otherwise,
We will have to stay home to keep the generator going, which is powering two refrigerators.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 08:46 AM   #53

I do not think the storm will be much when it reaches SC "Myrtle Beach" Probably not even a tropical storm. A lot of rain light wind. It will loose strength staying inland.

I would error on the side of safety and leave, but it will not likely be that bad. If the storm was coming off the ocean I would say 100% go. Talk with Ocean Lakes security they are keeping up with the forecasts.

Ocean Lakes has weathered numerous Hurricanes and this on coming up the coast inland won't be as bad.

What section are you in?? if 3000 or 4000 away from the tress you will probably be fine. If it gets bad the arcade or rec center are the places to go.

Sorry I am not in the camp of going. Weathered numerous storms in Ocean Lakes. Again if the storm was coming in off the ocean I would 100% go.

Also think about going inland for the day leave the camper and come back the next day.

Please note....... listen to the local stations if they recommend evacuation, go if they don't......its up to you.........

Good Luck !!!!!!!

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 08:58 AM   #54

Agree with the get out of Dodge comments from lots of 5er owners. And that Lil' Clipper weighs a lot less than bigger rigs.
stellaandspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 08:58 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
I do not think the storm will be much when it reaches SC "Myrtle Beach" Probably not even a tropical storm. A lot of rain light wind. It will loose strength staying inland.

I would error on the side of safety and leave, but it will not likely be that bad. If the storm was coming off the ocean I would say 100% go. Talk with Ocean Lakes security they are keeping up with the forecasts.

Ocean Lakes has weathered numerous Hurricanes and this on coming up the coast inland won't be as bad.

What section are you in?? if 3000 or 4000 away from the tress you will probably be fine. If it gets bad the arcade or rec center are the places to go.

Sorry I am not in the camp of going. Weathered numerous storms in Ocean Lakes. Again if the storm was coming in off the ocean I would 100% go.

Also think about going inland for the day leave the camper and come back the next day.

Please note....... listen to the local stations if they recommend evacuation go if they don't......its up to you.........

Good Luck !!!!!!!

I live just a short distance away ~ on the NC coast. Expect about 8" of rain today and a nice day tomorrow. Not much wind coming here as every mile over land takes the storm farther apart. Localized road flooding is expected, mostly around Myrtle SC and Outer Banks NC.
Old 09-02-2016, 09:31 AM   #56

I'm near Hilton Head SC, the weather is mild at most right now. It looks like Florida took the worst of it :/
I'm just hoping the wind keeps blowing against the tide. High tide is in about 15 minutes and the water is a little higher than it is on a new moon...I think we're good though. I'm pretty sure that the little tornado we had back in July took care of any weak branches we had too...fingers crossed!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1472826503070.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	119217  
Jlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 10:50 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
I live just a short distance away ~ on the NC coast. Expect about 8" of rain today and a nice day tomorrow. Not much wind coming here as every mile over land takes the storm farther apart. Localized road flooding is expected, mostly around Myrtle SC and Outer Banks NC.
Hearing the same thing lots of rain wind gusts max 40 mph not that bad. Our son lives southern NC coastal area.

Like I said earlier if the storm was coming off the ocean and they had evacuation talk......... leave. Otherwise no need to panic. Ocean Lakes drains well.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 11:24 AM   #58

Like I stated earlier we have stayed there before in tropical storms. If it had been hurricane status that may have been a different mater.
Canadiancrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 11:07 PM   #59
Wanna be Sir Campsalot

Follow-up and conclusion...

I thoughtMy reason for asking this question was legitimate: I don't know how much cross-wind it takes to make a camper of this size unstable. Still relatively new to this TT and know very little about it. Many thanks to those who gave constructive advice.

For those of you who questioned my sanity, rest assured that we took all precautions. We moved from a beachfront site where there were no units around us to a more populated and wooded area in the rear of the campground. We have two solid buildings within a few hundred feet to shelter in, had the situation warranted. We have NOAA weather radios, warning systems, and were keeping a close eye on the RADAR. I also had direct personal communication with a meteorologist who kept an eye out for us. I realize sometimes precautions aren't enough, but each situation is different and each needs to be individually evaluated.

The tropical system had maximum sustained winds of 23 mph at our location (someone on the grounds has a weather station with an anemometer). Gusts measured up to 31.

We did get 9.73" of rain, which caused a few of the ponds on the campground to overflow, but that's not uncommon. The inland/midlands rainfall forecast was actually what made us decide to stay. Our route West showed signs of flooding early in the day, and had we left, we would have been stuck in the middle of it.

It's actually been a rather pleasant day. The campground couldn't have been more accommodating and did a fantastic job of making sure everyone was safe and on high ground. The atmospheric pressure continues to rise and the system is speeding away, as forecasted.

This wound up being a baby storm. Had it shown more potential for danger, I assure you our choices would have been different. If you're ever in this situation, I would suggest that you check all the facts, talk to folks, and make sure the evacuation route isn't actually more dangerous than hunkering down and waiting it out.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1472874958.266763.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	119272Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1472874988.103194.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	119273Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1472875020.170272.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	119274

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 09-03-2016, 12:22 AM   #60

I'm happy to hear everything worked out for you. I'm glad you stayed. I tried to make you confident in staying without influencing your decision. I have no idea where you could have gone without the possibility of bigger problems. Your TT is more stabile with the jacks down than simply connected to the TV during winds. Also, the TT is a big sail in a cross wind and is easily pushed off the road. Had I thought you in danger staying I would have came and brought your family to my home.