Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2016, 04:18 AM   #61

Glad yall made it through safely 😊
Jlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 04:57 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
I'm happy to hear everything worked out for you. I'm glad you stayed. I tried to make you confident in staying without influencing your decision. I have no idea where you could have gone without the possibility of bigger problems. Your TT is more stabile with the jacks down than simply connected to the TV during winds. Also, the TT is a big sail in a cross wind and is easily pushed off the road. Had I thought you in danger staying I would have came and brought your family to my home.
CaptnJohn, That is why I like this forum so much it's because of members like you who will go out of there way to help fellow members, My hats off to you..

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 07:34 AM   #63

Probable tornado at Hatteras picked up two rvs spun them around etc. Four people to hospital expected to survive. Placed first responders in unnecessary danger.
Old 09-03-2016, 08:19 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by K4RGD View Post
Camping on the SC coast currently in our Clipper 17FQ. Watching a tropical storm being forecast to bring 60mph winds with 70mph gusts to the area Friday.

Anyone got advice? Should we stick it out or bug out early? Never been in this situation, don't know what this trailer is capable of withstanding.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
I would have not have even taken the time to ask that question,,,
Like someone said,,, I would be heading WEST !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 08:27 AM   #65

You did the right thing , we stay at Ocean Lakes often and know how they operate. After 40 years of dealing with storms they are on top of things. They have over 300 employees and are always very helpful.

As I mentioned earlier IF the storm was coming off the ocean AND IF the Beach was calling for an evacuation I would be more concerned. But up the coast not so much. You would have been in greater danger on the roads trying to get out.

Your last picture is typical after a heavy T storm but the middle one was more concerning as we stay at those sites often. Our camper is currently in one of their storage lots.

Today should be beautiful down there wish we were there.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 10:44 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
I would have not have even taken the time to ask that question,,,
Like someone said,,, I would be heading WEST !!!
Already the roads were wet and gusting winds. Only point of trailer stability is the hitch instead of 4 jacks and a TT in crosswind gusts is worse than many semis passing in a row ~ much worse. You would have needed to travel about 200 miles west to be out of it ~~ no road goes directly west. He knew it was going to be a TS not hurricane on arrival. The CG has shelters if things get too bad which may not be easily found on the road. For whatever reason he made the best choice IMO.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 12:15 PM   #67
Wanna be Sir Campsalot

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad2388 View Post
Hey we are going to stay. We are beside ya in Lakewood. Keep us posted! People are flocking in here today but its no where near full.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any damage at Lakewood, Brad?

Old 09-03-2016, 10:49 PM   #68

Quote:
Any damage at Lakewood, Brad?

None that i found. Other than the in the back a crater lake running over. But that just flooded a couple roads but no camper or houses were damaged.

brad2388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 01:42 AM   #69
Wanna be Sir Campsalot

CaptnJohn and Oaklevel: you guys were right. Gorgeous today. Amazing how calm even the ocean is (During/After photos below). Hate that we checked out and came home today, but the drive was easy and uneventful.

Brad: Glad to hear you guys were all good over there. Never visited Lakewood, always think I might eventually.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1472971141.596563.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	119342Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1472971272.150757.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	119345

Old 09-04-2016, 06:56 AM   #70

Quote:
None that i found. Other than the in the back a crater lake running over. But that just flooded a couple roads but no camper or houses were damaged.

Do you know if those are Manufactured Homes,,, set on stilts,,, or if they are stick built ???
Old 09-04-2016, 07:02 AM   #71

Quote:
CaptnJohn and Oaklevel: you guys were right. Gorgeous today. Amazing how calm even the ocean is (During/After photos below). Hate that we checked out and came home today, but the drive was easy and uneventful.

Brad: Glad to hear you guys were all good over there. Never visited Lakewood, always think I might eventually.

Attachment 119342Attachment 119345

Sad the storm caused some to leave early, some to arrive late, and some to cancel. Always best to do what makes you most comfortable. Thankfully, this one caused few problems and no one was hurt. Very little property damage around here as well. Having been through many weather events on the coast I thought the only really bad thing was it hit on a long weekend for visitors. Still we cannot influence others decisions as things can change. The only prep I did was bring in the bug umbrella from one of the patios. Happy to hear your trip home was good and most of all everyone was safe.
Those that can get away often find October one of the best months to come to the beach. The water is still warm and crowds are gone.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 08:31 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
Do you know if those are Manufactured Homes,,, set on stilts,,, or if they are stick built ???

Yea they are Manufactured homes set of stilts. The reason is most have water spicots on the side of the homes. Im sure they wouldnt put them there if it was stick built because there 20 foot off the ground lol

brad2388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 08:55 AM   #73

Quote:
Yea they are Manufactured homes set of stilts. The reason is most have water spicots on the side of the homes. Im sure they wouldnt put them there if it was stick built because there 20 foot off the ground lol

Right On !!! LOL !!!

A cousin of mine built a home on stilts in Florida an few years back,,,
then he sold it !!!