Follow-up and conclusion...
I thoughtMy reason for asking this question was legitimate: I don't know how much cross-wind it takes to make a camper of this size unstable. Still relatively new to this TT and know very little about it. Many thanks to those who gave constructive advice.
For those of you who questioned my sanity, rest assured that we took all precautions. We moved from a beachfront site where there were no units around us to a more populated and wooded area in the rear of the campground. We have two solid buildings within a few hundred feet to shelter in, had the situation warranted. We have NOAA weather radios, warning systems, and were keeping a close eye on the RADAR. I also had direct personal communication with a meteorologist who kept an eye out for us. I realize sometimes precautions aren't enough, but each situation is different and each needs to be individually evaluated.
The tropical system had maximum sustained winds of 23 mph at our location (someone on the grounds has a weather station with an anemometer). Gusts measured up to 31.
We did get 9.73" of rain, which caused a few of the ponds on the campground to overflow, but that's not uncommon. The inland/midlands rainfall forecast was actually what made us decide to stay. Our route West showed signs of flooding early in the day, and had we left, we would have been stuck in the middle of it.
It's actually been a rather pleasant day. The campground couldn't have been more accommodating and did a fantastic job of making sure everyone was safe and on high ground. The atmospheric pressure continues to rise and the system is speeding away, as forecasted.
This wound up being a baby storm. Had it shown more potential for danger, I assure you our choices would have been different. If you're ever in this situation, I would suggest that you check all the facts, talk to folks, and make sure the evacuation route isn't actually more dangerous than hunkering down and waiting it out.
Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums