Old 09-02-2016, 08:20 AM   #51

Next of kin?

Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 08:38 AM   #52

There will always be those who take chances, but they are the ones who put a strain on the system when they need rescuing. We had a small tornado go through our place yesterday afternoon and lost power. They repaired it, but we lost it again at 1:43 am and it is still out. We lost the big tarp over our TT, but the metal frame stayed fine. If you were camping on our eleven acres your trailer would have been pummeled with debris. We are hoping to go camping tonight as long as the power comes back on. Otherwise,
We will have to stay home to keep the generator going, which is powering two refrigerators.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 08:46 AM   #53

I do not think the storm will be much when it reaches SC "Myrtle Beach" Probably not even a tropical storm. A lot of rain light wind. It will loose strength staying inland.

I would error on the side of safety and leave, but it will not likely be that bad. If the storm was coming off the ocean I would say 100% go. Talk with Ocean Lakes security they are keeping up with the forecasts.

Ocean Lakes has weathered numerous Hurricanes and this on coming up the coast inland won't be as bad.

What section are you in?? if 3000 or 4000 away from the tress you will probably be fine. If it gets bad the arcade or rec center are the places to go.

Sorry I am not in the camp of going. Weathered numerous storms in Ocean Lakes. Again if the storm was coming in off the ocean I would 100% go.

Also think about going inland for the day leave the camper and come back the next day.

Please note....... listen to the local stations if they recommend evacuation, go if they don't......its up to you.........

Good Luck !!!!!!!

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2013 Puma Unleashed 356 QLB
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 08:58 AM   #54

Agree with the get out of Dodge comments from lots of 5er owners. And that Lil' Clipper weighs a lot less than bigger rigs.
Old 09-02-2016, 08:58 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
I do not think the storm will be much when it reaches SC "Myrtle Beach" Probably not even a tropical storm. A lot of rain light wind. It will loose strength staying inland.

I would error on the side of safety and leave, but it will not likely be that bad. If the storm was coming off the ocean I would say 100% go. Talk with Ocean Lakes security they are keeping up with the forecasts.

Ocean Lakes has weathered numerous Hurricanes and this on coming up the coast inland won't be as bad.

What section are you in?? if 3000 or 4000 away from the tress you will probably be fine. If it gets bad the arcade or rec center are the places to go.

Sorry I am not in the camp of going. Weathered numerous storms in Ocean Lakes. Again if the storm was coming in off the ocean I would 100% go.

Also think about going inland for the day leave the camper and come back the next day.

Please note....... listen to the local stations if they recommend evacuation go if they don't......its up to you.........

Good Luck !!!!!!!

I live just a short distance away ~ on the NC coast. Expect about 8" of rain today and a nice day tomorrow. Not much wind coming here as every mile over land takes the storm farther apart. Localized road flooding is expected, mostly around Myrtle SC and Outer Banks NC.
CaptnJohn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 09:31 AM   #56

I'm near Hilton Head SC, the weather is mild at most right now. It looks like Florida took the worst of it :/
I'm just hoping the wind keeps blowing against the tide. High tide is in about 15 minutes and the water is a little higher than it is on a new moon...I think we're good though. I'm pretty sure that the little tornado we had back in July took care of any weak branches we had too...fingers crossed!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1472826503070.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	119217  
Old 09-02-2016, 10:50 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
I live just a short distance away ~ on the NC coast. Expect about 8" of rain today and a nice day tomorrow. Not much wind coming here as every mile over land takes the storm farther apart. Localized road flooding is expected, mostly around Myrtle SC and Outer Banks NC.
Hearing the same thing lots of rain wind gusts max 40 mph not that bad. Our son lives southern NC coastal area.

Like I said earlier if the storm was coming off the ocean and they had evacuation talk......... leave. Otherwise no need to panic. Ocean Lakes drains well.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2013 Puma Unleashed 356 QLB
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 11:24 AM   #58

Like I stated earlier we have stayed there before in tropical storms. If it had been hurricane status that may have been a different mater.
Canadiancrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 11:07 PM   #59
Wanna be Sir Campsalot

Follow-up and conclusion...

I thoughtMy reason for asking this question was legitimate: I don't know how much cross-wind it takes to make a camper of this size unstable. Still relatively new to this TT and know very little about it. Many thanks to those who gave constructive advice.

For those of you who questioned my sanity, rest assured that we took all precautions. We moved from a beachfront site where there were no units around us to a more populated and wooded area in the rear of the campground. We have two solid buildings within a few hundred feet to shelter in, had the situation warranted. We have NOAA weather radios, warning systems, and were keeping a close eye on the RADAR. I also had direct personal communication with a meteorologist who kept an eye out for us. I realize sometimes precautions aren't enough, but each situation is different and each needs to be individually evaluated.

The tropical system had maximum sustained winds of 23 mph at our location (someone on the grounds has a weather station with an anemometer). Gusts measured up to 31.

We did get 9.73" of rain, which caused a few of the ponds on the campground to overflow, but that's not uncommon. The inland/midlands rainfall forecast was actually what made us decide to stay. Our route West showed signs of flooding early in the day, and had we left, we would have been stuck in the middle of it.

It's actually been a rather pleasant day. The campground couldn't have been more accommodating and did a fantastic job of making sure everyone was safe and on high ground. The atmospheric pressure continues to rise and the system is speeding away, as forecasted.

This wound up being a baby storm. Had it shown more potential for danger, I assure you our choices would have been different. If you're ever in this situation, I would suggest that you check all the facts, talk to folks, and make sure the evacuation route isn't actually more dangerous than hunkering down and waiting it out.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1472874958.266763.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	119272Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1472874988.103194.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	119273Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1472875020.170272.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	119274

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
K4RGD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 12:22 AM   #60

I'm happy to hear everything worked out for you. I'm glad you stayed. I tried to make you confident in staying without influencing your decision. I have no idea where you could have gone without the possibility of bigger problems. Your TT is more stabile with the jacks down than simply connected to the TV during winds. Also, the TT is a big sail in a cross wind and is easily pushed off the road. Had I thought you in danger staying I would have came and brought your family to my home.

CaptnJohn is online now   Reply With Quote