Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2016, 08:14 PM   #1

Trouble with radio

We just purchased a 2017 Clipper 17FQ and had problems from the start with the Jensen AWM914 radio speakers cutting in and out, both inside and outside the trailer. The dealer said that the connections with dirty and he cleaned them. That worked until we got it home. Doesn't seem to be a connection problem because if I hit the mute switch on and off, the speakers will kick back on. Is anyone else having similar issues?
WNY_Clipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 12:22 PM   #2

I just purchased a Clipper 16FB. The Jensen stereo was doing what you describe, cutting in and out and not receiving AM at all. I accessed the back of the radio by removing one of the interior cabinet panels. The speaker connections were all loose. I also checked the speaker wire connections at the speakers and one was hooked up backwards. Questionable construction and installation at best! I reconnected all of the wire connections from the pigtail plugged into the back of the radio to the power, ground and speaker wire connections with wire nuts and this solved that problem. I discovered that the radio is using the TV antenna so it will only pickup FM reception. Since I won't be using a TV in the RV, I'll install an auto TV antenna and connect to that leaving the TV antenna unused.

Hope that helps. Bottom line = poor installation when constructed.
BHam John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 01:11 PM   #3

Thank you for your reply....
I ended up replacing the questionable unit with one with DVD playback since I also installed a flatscreen TV too. Now we can watch our movies when we have no signal. I haven't had the audio problem since, but disconnecting all the speaker connections and installing them correctly to the new unit may have solved it.
Old 10-12-2016, 05:10 AM   #4

New Radio Installation;

Old 10-12-2016, 07:09 AM   #5

Old 10-12-2016, 07:12 AM   #6

Before:

Old 10-12-2016, 07:27 AM   #7
Site Team

The first thing to check if you have any sound issues with an RV radio is the speaker connections. I found several no connects an a few where almost no insulation was removed before they installed a wire nut. I restripped and reconnected every speaker and power connection and no problems since.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 09:18 AM   #8

Flybob is spot on. Too bad they can't get it right at installation. Nice looking AV system WNY - enjoy.
BHam John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 09:32 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
The first thing to check if you have any sound issues with an RV radio is the speaker connections. I found several no connects an a few where almost no insulation was removed before they installed a wire nut. I restripped and reconnected every speaker and power connection and no problems since.
As long as I had the access panel removed, I redid every AC, DC, & speaker connections back there!
Old 10-15-2016, 02:28 PM   #10

So the antenna does not supply AM signal? Out here in the state park right now and was trying to figure this thing out before the Cubs play.

We get poor signal all around from FM too. Cables were loose but it didn't help any. When we get back home I can do a more thorough check Near the antenna itself too.
Sarjent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 08:51 PM   #11

Can you shut down that radio display when you sleep? Hate to have a "glow" towards the bed all night long.

2017 Ford F150 w/ 3.5 EB
2014 Coachmen Viking 17FQ

Colorful Colorado
La Plata View is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 04:12 AM   #12

Yes, powered down the unit only displays the time and I am able to dim the display.
Old 02-19-2017, 03:02 PM   #13

Trouble with radio

Sarjent, Did you get your AM radio working? I have been thinking about adding a auto antenna to the entertain center, what did you do. GO CUBS IN 2017.
ilcamphost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 11:21 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilcamphost View Post
Sarjent, Did you get your AM radio working? I have been thinking about adding a auto antenna to the entertain center, what did you do. GO CUBS IN 2017.
I haven't done much of anything. Put it into storage for the winter. In the spring I'll spend some time figuring it out. I like the idea of a car antenna, there are collapsible ones that are spring mounted that might work good. I want to look at options for replacing that particular manufacturer antenna too..maybe with Dtv? Who knows.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:46 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarjent View Post
I haven't done much of anything. Put it into storage for the winter. In the spring I'll spend some time figuring it out. I like the idea of a car antenna, there are collapsible ones that are spring mounted that might work good. I want to look at options for replacing that particular manufacturer antenna too..maybe with Dtv? Who knows.
What antenna are you using, my antenna supports AM channels. We have been in some places that reception is poor, but for the most part, it works fine.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:19 PM   #16

I am using whatever it came with from the factory. A previous post said that the antenna on the top of the RV only supplies TV & FM. That said, I live in a pretty good location with many channels..I get next to nothing in FM and AM bands and I know for certain that I should. Even after checking the wiring it still does not receive good signal.
Old 02-20-2017, 01:06 PM   #17

Quote:
I am using whatever it came with from the factory. A previous post said that the antenna on the top of the RV only supplies TV & FM. That said, I live in a pretty good location with many channels..I get next to nothing in FM and AM bands and I know for certain that I should. Even after checking the wiring it still does not receive good signal.
What TT do you have? What does your antenna look like?
Old 02-20-2017, 01:56 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNY_Clipper View Post
What TT do you have? What does your antenna look like?
2015 Clipper 17BH
It looks like this antenna if you can see it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-coachmen-clipper-17bh.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	130276  
Old 02-20-2017, 02:27 PM   #19

Quote:
2015 Clipper 17BH
It looks like this antenna if you can see it.
Looks similar to mine. Is it stationary or can you rotate it?
Old 02-20-2017, 02:32 PM   #20

I just did a little more digging and I believe mine "Does Not" have AM support. The next model up (Looks similar except a little larger) supports AM.

Tags
radio