Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2013, 07:21 PM   #1

TV mount in bedroom 28DDS and possibly others

When I picked up my 2012 Catalina Deluxe 28DDS the dealer stated that there is a spot on the ceiling in the bedroom right behind the sliding doors to install a TV. I see what he means because there is an outlet and coxial conection in the ceiling also, but where do you mount the TV? Nothing in the manual about it. Has anyone done this install on a 28DDS or another Coachmen with the same option?

Thanks
EODtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:34 PM   #2
daydreaming about camping

our 320 has the same ceiling outlets in the bedroom. Our dealer said there is no factory instruction for where exactly to mount one. they recommend nothing more than 20 inches on a wall mount. He did NOT recommend mounting to the ceiling.

His reluctance to mount one was sobering, we do not need one in there, and probably will not. If we do, I will look for something that spreads the load as much as possible.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:19 PM   #3

We ran into the same thing with 28dds and ended up putting a 12 volt flip down 10" screen attached to the ceiling. It is really made for cars but works very well in the camper. It has a DVD player built in and I ran wires and connect it to the satellite as well. I pulled the power from the nearby light in the bedroom.
Gizmo0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:04 PM   #4

I assume that the main TV is no longer on a Swivel so that it can be turned to the bed?
Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryand View Post
I assume that the main TV is no longer on a Swivel so that it can be turned to the bed?
Ours did not come with that, just a fixed wall with a large tv opening on the living side. Not sure if it was an option or not, ours was a six month old "used" model when we got it.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:29 PM   #6

No option, it comes like that....the trade off is instead off a rotating tv, you can fit a 32" in there.....which in return costs more on all front lol. Since it fits a 32" I went with a 32" now I have to buy another one for the bedroom.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:23 PM   #7

Check to see if it is reinforced for the weight. My Forrest River came with a block in the wall to mount the tv to. Although, when I went to mount the tv, nothing. I took it in to the dealer and the block had fallen between the studs to the floor. They remounted it using screws instead of the cheap spaples. I can only imagine what kind of damage I would have had if I had mounted the tv and had the mount block fall off.
Top B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:31 PM   #8

I would rather secure it to the wall also. The only issue is that it would interfere with the doors closing all the way. I wouldn't be able to use the snap to secure them during travel. I boggles my mind why it doesn't say anything in the manual about it.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by EODtruck View Post
I would rather secure it to the wall also. The only issue is that it would interfere with the doors closing all the way. I wouldn't be able to use the snap to secure them during travel. I boggles my mind why it doesn't say anything in the manual about it.
That's what we wanted as well but we use the doors so it wasn't much of an option. The tv we mounted to the ceiling weighs about 3 or 4 pounds and has not been a problem at all. It flips up out of the way when not in use and can be used without a/c power.

Tags
bed, tv mount